Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Masterwork vs Masterwork reborn  (Read 8917 times)

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork vs Masterwork reborn
« on: March 15, 2016, 06:15:08 pm »

I've just come back to Dwarf Fortress after not playing it for many months, and I'm a bit (a lot) lost...

I wonder could someone summarise for me the current situation regarding Masterwork?

I see that there's a newer version of actual "Masterwork" than the one I was using, but there's also "Masterwork Reborn" and I'm not sure which I should be using.

How do they compare, in simple terms?

From what I can tell both have features missing? I don't think the non-functional workshops (e.g. Thaumaturgist's study) actually ever got enabled in the original Masterwork mod as far as I can see.

The main features I'd like to have are magical weapons, rune weapons, guns, the stationary crossbow turrets (I forget the name) etc. I'd be playing as dwarves.

And the ability to use the multi-level view plugin and Text Will Be Text plugin if still necessary.

Advice would be appreciated.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork vs Masterwork reborn
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 01:15:48 am »

Basically: 6.2 is mostly complete, but it's built for .34 DF and doesn't have the big trees or climbing etc. Reborn is built for .40, but it's pretty bare as Meph hasn't touched it since before he went on his biking-tour-thing 2 years ago. There's going to be a version updated to .42, but it'll have to wait until there's a functioning DFHack release due to various dependencies.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 02:07:14 pm »

Basically: 6.2 is mostly complete, but it's built for .34 DF and doesn't have the big trees or climbing etc. Reborn is built for .40, but it's pretty bare as Meph hasn't touched it since before he went on his biking-tour-thing 2 years ago. There's going to be a version updated to .42, but it'll have to wait until there's a functioning DFHack release due to various dependencies.
DFHack has a working (if alpha) version for .42. It's mainly on Meph's availability now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »

Sounds like I want to use the older version then...

In that case, I suppose this is probably a stupid question but what do I need to do in order to install mods along with Masterwork?

The one that shows multiple layers at once sounds pretty great.

Edit: Disregard this, seems it's actually included in Masterwork now. Nice.

Also, does anyone actually know their way around the ridiculous amount of different weapon types?

I'm unsure what the advantage of guns over crossbows and such weapons is.

And I'm wondering how the javelin thrower compares to a crossbow. I looked at the numbers and it looked a lot more dangerous but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:46:18 pm by DG123 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 05:06:26 am »

I plan to start Df again in April/May. I did my 1 year bike thingy, then had 2.5 months to clear out a house and sell it, then I went on another trip with 12 countries... I'm in Sri Lanka now, but have only 1 more month to go till I'm in Germany, with time, electricity and wifi on my hands.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:23:36 pm »

A question occurs to me. I've just been reading up about that bug that stops 2 handed weapons being used by any dwarves in fortress mode.

Does Masterwork fix this, or are all the zweihanders etc useless?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »

Its fixed.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:56 am »

This might be a dumb question but how does Masterwork handle the undead exactly? I'm getting sieged by them and I have no idea if I can even kill them.

What can I do? I'm in a non-evil biome. No necromancer around as far as I know. Will they stay dead or randomly rise again?

Edit: And now I've just met naga mages that are burning the entire overworld with fireballs. What the hell? This is ridiculous. How do you even fight those?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:24:24 pm by DG123 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 09:22:15 pm »

This might be a dumb question but how does Masterwork handle the undead exactly? I'm getting sieged by them and I have no idea if I can even kill them.

What can I do? I'm in a non-evil biome. No necromancer around as far as I know. Will they stay dead or randomly rise again?

Edit: And now I've just met naga mages that are burning the entire overworld with fireballs. What the hell? This is ridiculous. How do you even fight those?
With traps, labyrinths or melee in non-flammable surrounding, like your fortress. And hey, you are the one who enabled them. :P

If the undead siege you, there should be a necromancer with them. Its exactly like vanilla DF in that regard.

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »

The problem is I've taken too long getting iron ready for crafting because it took ages finding some hematite. So at the moment I'm... fragile.

Basically slamming the door and hiding a lot.

At least I managed to successfully quarantine a blood beast possessed dwarf where he can't hurt anyone.

I COULD in theory release that guy to destroy invaders, but I think the cure would be worse than the disease if I did that.

I have plans to make a complex arrangement of tunnels with arbalest turrets, marksdwarves and ballistae covering the approach all the way in. It just hasn't happened yet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 03:42:39 am »

You can build long corridors with rooms separated by bridges/doors. Get them to stretch out, only fight them a few at a time. They dont use ranged weapons, so lure them into a room with fortifications and give your ranged units some training.

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 03:01:24 pm »

You can build long corridors with rooms separated by bridges/doors. Get them to stretch out, only fight them a few at a time. They dont use ranged weapons, so lure them into a room with fortifications and give your ranged units some training.

Speaking of ranged weapons, which are the best to be using?

I assume cannons and guns but how about the javelin, axe and spear throwers compared to crossbows?

... Oh and is the firecannon a very stupid idea? I'm not sure how likely that thing is to burn everything I don't want to be burning.

Dwarf-Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 05:06:12 pm »

For me the old masterwork is still good.  What features does the new DF  really provide for fortress mode ? i just see the new trees.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 08:54:32 pm »

For me the old masterwork is still good.  What features does the new DF  really provide for fortress mode ? i just see the new trees.

In a non-alphabetical and not all inclusive manner:

1. Player defined Temples, Inns, Taverns where your dwarfs go to socialize, dance, drink and invite wanderers from other civilizations to patronize your establishment and possibly petition to join your fortress.
2. New personality system.
3. Multi-z-level trees.
4. Sexual-orientation.  Single-sex, dual-sex, no-sex attraction.
5. New skills: Dancing, Story telling, climbing, etc
6. New emotion system
7. Wars!!!!!

..and much more!

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »

Don't you get temples inns etc in the old version too?

Anyway I'm having a bit of a problem.

Why the hell do my dwarves keep cancelling tasks because of a monster?

The monster is outside my fortress with no path to get inside it and should be impossible for the dwarves to see. They're also one floor below it. I'm very confused.
Pages: [1] 2 3