Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Masterwork vs Masterwork reborn  (Read 8915 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Masterwork vs Masterwork reborn
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 10:11:18 am »

Yeah, please discuss the philosophical parts about game design etc somewhere else. I can see the point for both sides (living world is extraordinary in pc games), while the end-effect on the player is minimal (because you dont interact with said world much atm). But that has nothing to do with this mod.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

WJSabey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 08:54:25 am »

So, to get back on topic, I tried out the reborn version, and it appears to be as I feared. Most of what I remember from Masterwork seems yet to be implemented; unless a load more buildings are magma-gated than I remember (I haven't got that deep yet), the vast majority of features aren't there yet. My position would probably be not to go with Reborn yet; you'll need to make a new save anyway when the features arrive, and honestly as interesting as some of the v.40 stuff might be, the Masterwork features are better and unless you're interested in helping test Reborn, stick with Masterwork for now.

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »

I've not played dwarf fortress in a long time due to masterwork not being updated. I started playing vanilla DF and realized that I hate the billion different kinds of leather. As I understand it, masterwork reborn was supposed to be neater cleaner with menacing spikes of FUN! and I'm all about that. It's really lonely in vanilla DF when you aren't getting siege by 5 different races a year. I'll probably go back to regular masterwork since it's more 'complete'. Though if reborn gets update, which as Meph said 'soon', then it'll be the good time we've all been wanting. FPS death is still a thing. I dream of the day when I can just wing a fortress for a century without a ton of tips and tricks to save FPS. They make CPU's with way too many cores, this should have sorted itself out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »

They make CPU's with way too many cores, this should have sorted itself out.

No, not really.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 03:08:01 am »

I've not played dwarf fortress in a long time due to masterwork not being updated. I started playing vanilla DF and realized that I hate the billion different kinds of leather. As I understand it, masterwork reborn was supposed to be neater cleaner with menacing spikes of FUN! and I'm all about that. It's really lonely in vanilla DF when you aren't getting siege by 5 different races a year. I'll probably go back to regular masterwork since it's more 'complete'. Though if reborn gets update, which as Meph said 'soon', then it'll be the good time we've all been wanting. FPS death is still a thing. I dream of the day when I can just wing a fortress for a century without a ton of tips and tricks to save FPS. They make CPU's with way too many cores, this should have sorted itself out.

While you wait, you can add Modest Mod and Fortress Defense to your build, that'll bring back siege races and generic leathers.

[shameless](and my race is updated for vanilla too)[/shameless]

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 11:07:26 pm »

While you wait, you can add Modest Mod and Fortress Defense to your build, that'll bring back siege races and generic leathers.

[shameless](and my race is updated for vanilla too)[/shameless]

I tried Modest with Fortress Defense and it's great. Thanks. I do miss those war elephants. I dream of the day I can line the walkway of my fortress with totems made from the war elephants my dwarfs have slaughtered. I'll definitely give succubus a try after I die horribly with this fort.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 04:27:06 pm »

One: The whole argument over v.42.XX's new stuff is moot for this board. You've got ☼v.34.11☼ and ☼v.40.24☼. Maybe old ☼v.30.XX☼ stuff, but definitely not DF2016.

Two: Dwarf Fortress is single-threaded. It cannot use multiple cores.

super-irrelevant-and-belated-facts guy awayyyyyyy!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 05:00:30 pm »

1. it was 0.31

2. it's definitely irrelevant, masterwork updated to 0.34 as that came out basically

3. updating from 0.40.24 to 0.42.06 is nearly trivial, so i regard them as the same version much as 0.31 and 0.34 are very close versions modding-wise

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 02:14:43 pm »

Is there, in all factuality, a release of Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for (the version commonly called DF2016, labeled v.0.42.01 through v.0.42.06, v.0.42.07 coming out "soonish", released December 2015) aka v.42?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 [3]