Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: [.47.02 - .47.05] Kobold Kamp (now with 25% more kefir)  (Read 55838 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Kobold Kamp (now with 25% more kefir)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 10:25:20 pm »

Ah, looks nice. But to be honest, the actual spriting is the easy part. Copy-paste in GIMP if you want kobold soldiers that use a kje (like you did in this example), with a bit more editing if you want a k with umlaut.

The hard part is providing the necessary stuff and instructing users to make use of it. Or at least, that's hassle that seems less than ideal given it's a whopping 1 extra desired tile.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 10:50:46 pm »

What's a kje? I tried variations of the dorf block/goblin pip, human bar, and then just moved the top bar of the k up and pow, looks great.

Yeah, having to put it in the raws is a bit annoying but I've just put the goblins tile full time unless Toady pops up with something that uses the 1/2 tile.

Could do a pre-step like:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:KOBOLD]
[DESCRIPTION:A small, squat humanoid with large pointy ears and yellow glowing eyes.]
[NAME:kobold:kobolds:kobold]
[CASTE_NAME:kobold:kobolds:kobold]
[CREATURE_TILE:'k'][COLOR:6:0:0]
[GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:6:0:1]
CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:18]
[LOCKPICKER][TRAPAVOID]
[INTELLIGENT]
[UTTERANCES]
[CARNIVORE]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[PREFSTRING:mischief]
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:TRUST:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:GREED:50:75:100]

Then just add the [ bracket in front of the creature_soldier_tile line, pow!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 11:28:46 pm »

Ќ/ќ, referencing the only linguistic use of "k with acute accent" that I know of. But yeah, with the acute you can place it without adjusting the k's positioning. For an umlaut you have to nudge the letter downward and/or shorten it a pixel or two, depending on which tileset you're doing it for (since you got 8x12 tile space, 10x12, and 16x16). And even then, using a flattened umlaut like some of the uppercase tiles (like Ü) is easier than the full umlaut used in ë and elsewhere.

And hmm, using a missing bracket might work. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 03:50:51 am »

Here is some feedback from about 2 years

- no mechanisms mean no well and no pump, so basically no water access on salty biomes

- no mechanisms also mean no traction benches. Which may be fitting to the setting, but I'd still like to have an option.

- kobolds climb trees all the time and mostly refuse to get down. Have to chop the trees to save the dumbasses, injuring them in process. Can it be fixed by something like giving them innate climbing skills?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:56:17 am by Diamond »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 01:02:54 pm »

Ah, right. Regarding wells, this is one reason why I've generally restricted myself to embarking on rivers or streams. Especially since fishing rapidly becomes an essential food source. Even just a temperate biome can cause trouble if the river freezes, but at the very least you can secure a cistern with careful digging.

Traction benches and wells I'm not yet sure about. While it'd be possible to add, say, a reaction for wooden mechanisms since wells don't need the mechanics labor, traction benches outright need the mechanics workshop. Unless I likewise added a separate reaction to make traction benches. I've yet to see any injuries making them essential in a kobold kamp though, and can't recall

Meanwhile, I could've sworn that screw pumps didn't actually need mechanisms to build, so manually-pumped desalination might be an option if I add corkscrews to their trap component list.

For climbing though, dorfs are apparently also known to do that. Though I will admit the only time I've encountered that bug so far was in kobold kamp.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 07:56:38 pm »

Oh. Oh wait. You need pump operating to pump them, so I'd still have to enable mechanics.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

toasteroftoast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:40 pm »

Hullo, just wanted to say thanks for the  mod; and a quick question:
Would it be possible to enable the use of stone traps for the kobolds for catching/taming and trading caged creatures?
I am using the Modest Mod 'tame everything' module, but unfortunately so many things can chew through the wood traps, which led me to wonder if it would be possible to allow one of the workshops to make stone traps, like the carpenter can make wooden ones.
Do forgive me if I have simply overlooked the means to do this, as I am quite new to Dwarf Fortress.
Really enjoying the kobolds mod, though. Please keep it up!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:47 pm »

The bigger problem with that is, once again, the fact that I'd have to enable mechanics for that to work in the first place. Once again it seems like just giving them mechanics might make things a lot easier, but that does break the desired flavor a bit, and might remove a bit of the challenge. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

toasteroftoast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 09:23:33 pm »

Quite true regarding the breaking the flavour thing. I did worry about that myself - I was just so damned tired of the little buggers chewing out of every trap before I could tame them.
I shall have to look into modding a little myself, and see if there is some little thing I can do to allow the kobolds to improve the quality of the traps just a little, once a certain rarer quality of stone/stone-metal is found on a map, and their kamp is progressed enough.
I was just quite taken with the idea of them trying to scrounge out an existence capturing and taming lots of little wild critters, and trading them to caravans in exchange for other bits and bobs.
But with the current gnawing frenzy that goes on, it is certainly a little tough; but I do realise that is indeed the point!
Many thanks again for your assistance, and for the kobolds - Strike the mud!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 09:51:49 pm »

The fact you need cage traps to tame anything is kind of annoying, I'll admit. I do wish there was a way to round up non-aggressive animals to tame them without traps. ._.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 10:53:40 pm »

Bug of the day: Stone bridges being impossible to build due to demanding metalsmithing, same reason behind stone goblets and sarcophagi.

Unfucked it via a tedious method that involved shifting the "counts as metal so arrows will stockpile" fix onto mimicries of the materials in question.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Eastep

• Bay Watcher
  • Puppysicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 02:08:02 pm »

I was playing the mod this afternoon and it's pretty fun! It seems like architecture is disabled for them though, so when the merchants arrived I couldn't get a trade depot set up to trade with them. Am I missing something?
Forgotten Beasts just want to be loved!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 03:09:11 pm »

I was playing the mod this afternoon and it's pretty fun! It seems like architecture is disabled for them though, so when the merchants arrived I couldn't get a trade depot set up to trade with them. Am I missing something?

It's in misc with construction, lever-pulling, alchemy etc. You can't embark with the skill or receive migrants with them, but should still be able to enable them. o.O
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [43.01] Kobold Kamp (now with 25% more kefir)
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 08:12:53 pm »

Weh. I wanted to use the new stone axes for kobolds, but then there were bugs: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9738
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [43.05] Kobold Kamp (now with 25% more kefir)
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 02:01:41 am »

And now, here's a thought...should I include reactions for repairing kobold-native gear? Only issue is no way to select based on wear level.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12