Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: [.47.02 - .47.05] Kobold Kamp (now with 25% more kefir)  (Read 55822 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [43.05] Kobold Kamp (now with 25% more kefir)
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:37 am »

That does seem to be the default image for how cutebolds are perceived, yeah. So far though, I've been doing more general gameplay alterations, finding bugs and other unintended consequences of my mucking about. :V

Speaking of which, so far it seems like stone bridges aren't worth all the other issues my workaround caused. They MIGHT be worth it if mechanics was available, which adds another complication to the "should stone-age bolds have mechanics" question.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2016, 11:41:10 am »

The idea of lacking mechanics is starting to grow on me. It encourages you to think outside the box when designing your fortress's layout. For instance, I'm wondering if it's possible to turn an aquifer into a trap for sieges using doors, small amounts of micromanagement, and making it necessary to path through deep, large pools of water to enter your fortress.

(Also, it might go without saying but I've always preferred the cutebolds to the more traditional design :L)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:13 pm »

Yeah, it's still possible to work around the lack of mechanics. Anything from archery towers to wet moats to hatch abuse.

And yes, cute bold is cute and bold. Granted, the archetypal mental image of DF cutebolds still contrasts the in-game appearance a bit too. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »

And yes, cute bold is cute and bold. Granted, the archetypal mental image of DF cutebolds still contrasts the in-game appearance a bit too. :V
That's just a bunch of typos that are the first things to be fixed when I download a new version  ;)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2016, 08:30:30 pm »

Nyahaha. And what all do you change, hmm? I'm trying to recall whether I added more shades of skin and eye color to them. I do recall adding a few only-seen-in-fortress-mode things like mannerisms, at least.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 09:11:13 pm »

It's been a while, so I don't remember everything. Off the top of my head: Friendlier personality traits, musicality, talking, all the mannerisms, different facial features (The size features work for any parts - like, say, randomly giving them stumpy tails or big, lizard-like tails. No easy way to change the descriptions of each, though), fur (single color per bold. Patchwork bolds are strange), live-birth, and up-sizing them to 75% of dwarf size. Sometimes I'll enable them as pets, but I remember that causing odd behavior.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 09:24:35 pm »

I recall making them pets makes them not controllable and unable to set labors, but still following any orders their initial skills permit. I can't recall what happens when you make a petbold fort butcher itself into extinction. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 05:06:04 am »

3 years in and I've just had my first goblin siege! They slaughtered a poor fisherkobold on their way in, caught an animal caretaker who fell behind being weighed down by about a billion plants, and engaged the marksbolds that I stationed on the roof of the fort. Cue epic firefight. One of the kobolds dodged off of the building and into the goblin mosh pit where he was promptly ripped to shreds. However, they were able to hold off the invaders until the infantry arrived.

Our stone weapons were clearly inferior against their metal armor (our attacks were deflected like 95% of the time), but thanks to pure skill, the melee troops persevered until they were able to strike at their weak points and drop them one by one. I think the kobolds stacked on top of each other to negate their size disadvantage - I saw a pile of 14 kobolds on one tile when it was over. Aside from the mentioned kobolds, there were no further casualties and most of my military got through without a scratch.

It all goes to show, size and tech level don't mean a thing when you got numbers, skill, and spirit. And here I thought I wouldn't survive a single attack... psh! :P

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:55 am »

And here I was worried sieges would never be a thing. Then again I've had awful luck with hostile civs in my last several fortresses. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:24 pm »

I think the difficulty lies with getting your exported wealth high enough to trigger the siege, and since you can only trade with one caravan a year and can't produce super-high-value goods... yeah.

Gives you plenty of time to prepare, though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2016, 02:26:12 am »

It...would. If I hadn't removed the trade and production triggers from the enemy civs. If I HADN"T altered the progress triggers, dwarves would potentially show up before your first cavern.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2016, 02:47:09 pm »

Hey, I recently added something new to MasterworkDFs kobolds mode, that I think would be a nice addition: Pasteurizing milk, which makes it drinkable and stores it in barrels. That way the kobolds have a non-alcoholic alternative to water.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PROCESS_MILK]
      [NAME:Pasteurize milk]
  [DESCRIPTION:Takes a bucket of milk and makes it safe to drink, clearing bacteria from it. The milk is stored in a barrel, allowing your units to drink it. Costs 1 fuel for heating.]
      [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_P]
      [REAGENT:A:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
         [REACTION_CLASS:MILK]
         [UNROTTEN]
      [REAGENT:B:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:A][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
      [REAGENT:C:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
      [PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:C]
      [SKILL:COOK][FUEL]
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2016, 04:36:55 pm »

An interesting concept, though in practice milk is hard to produce in reasonable amounts. I'm not sure if there's much advantage over the kumis/kefir idea. o.O
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2016, 01:19:06 am »

...though in practice milk is hard to produce in reasonable amounts.

I dunno about that one. In my current kobold fort, I have around 30 milkable animals. I've reached the point where I can have one farmer's workshop set to milk animals on repeat and it never gets canceled; pretty sure the animals are reloading faster than I can milk them all :L

And it wasn't hard to get to this point either, I just embarked with half a dozen goats and sheep (5 female, 1 male) and let nature run its course. Milk is actually not hard at all to get in decent amounts after the first couple of years. Alternatively, spam goats at embark.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2016, 09:07:04 pm »

I seem to have less luck with breeding sheep though. I should've seen whether goats fared better though. :V

Anyway, the updatening. I'd say that 80% in favor of reverting the faked stone fix is impressive, but it was only 5 votes. We return to the land of mugs being called goblets.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12