Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves Being Led by a Goblin!  (Read 3562 times)

voxkoshka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves Being Led by a Goblin!
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:09:42 am »

I left my worldgen running last night and it seems to have stopped on a precarious time for "The Tomb of Ferocity"

They're a civilization of 5 Dwarves. They actually started year 1, and it seems like they're at the end of their civilization. The real thing that interested me was that their leader is Olon Stillheaters the Sable Indignation, a goblin born in -76. Not only that, but he's been the baron of The Tomb of Ferocity since 95. I'm at 1500.

Digging around

So is it just that the goblins invaded early on in history and established some sort of puppet government, and then the population of dwarves was scraping by the last 1400 years?

Now, Momuz Rockseals was eaten by a giant leopard in 184, so I guess the baron went back to Olon.

Anyone want to shed some light?

Also I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Being Led by a Goblin!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:01:01 am »

Wow. That was quick. Seems like about 12 hours since I explained Dwarf Fortress history yet again. Sure, I'll bite.
Yes. DF features multi-racial civilizations. It's history. Goblins live forever, build awesome social skills, become nobles, including king. Prejudice doesn't exist yet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:03:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »

voxkoshka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:08:41 am »

I did understand that, I was more curious about the population number development, and being enlightened on the details of how this progression took place.

Less mechanics. I understand those. More of a narrative curiosity that I had.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 11:58:11 am »

Ok, sorry about that. Your subject title comes up a couple of times a week it seems.

Seems like your goblins won some major battles, took over some towns and occupied them. They wouldn't have taken over the whole civ though. Goblin nobility is just a natural situation where a lot of your population are goblins.

Where are the remaining dwarves living? Mine ended up as a nomad band once after several defeats and a bronze colossus. I found the last 9 of them in an abandoned forest retreat where they'd been hiding and dying out for the past 100 years.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »

Wow. That was quick. Seems like about 12 hours since I explained Dwarf Fortress history yet again. Sure, I'll bite.
Yes. DF features multi-racial civilizations. It's history. Goblins live forever, build awesome social skills, become nobles, including king. Prejudice doesn't exist yet.
Well, we the players should endeavor to simulate it. I just found out my civilization has a goblin king, and I'm already readying the assassination squad. (Which currently consists of one embark dwarf in leather armor with a bronze spear.)
NOT BRAZILIAN

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »

Well, we the players should endeavor to simulate it. I just found out my civilization has a goblin king, and I'm already readying the assassination squad. (Which currently consists of one embark dwarf in leather armor with a bronze spear.)
You VILE racist the goblin dwarven king is a benevolent ruler to us all and has thoroughly embraced dwarven culture.
DIE FOR OUR KING AND FOR THE MOUNTAIN HOMES!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:25:03 pm »

You VILE racist the goblin dwarven king is a benevolent ruler to us all and has thoroughly embraced dwarven culture.
DIE FOR OUR KING AND FOR THE MOUNTAIN HOMES!
When you put it that way, I agree. As soon as he arrives, I will be thoroughly immersing him in DWARVEN CULTURE, if you catch my drift.
NOT BRAZILIAN

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 05:26:02 pm »

If he survives he is worthy this is acceptable.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 06:37:19 pm »

If he survives he is worthy this is acceptable.
Surviving "dwarven culture" isn't really a big deal when every dwarf still living in dwarven civs survives their own culture day after day.
He'd have to do something worthy, something that would truly show he has rejected his old culture and embraced the dwarven one, just like Cacame Awemedinade did.

If he can't prove himself, he's still a subversive agent of the Goblin World Order.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 06:40:31 pm »

I mean the endless onslaught of dwarven player assassins who will exploit as hard as possible to kill him.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:41:53 pm »

I mean the endless onslaught of dwarven player assassins who will exploit as hard as possible to kill him.
When I said DWARVEN CULTURE, I meant the kind that is red and liquid and hot.
NOT BRAZILIAN

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 06:44:54 pm »

Unless he's a Legendary +20 Weapon Lord supergoblin attributes I don't see how he could.

Better to remove him quick instead of potentially risking turning a dwarf civ into a puppet state for his demon master.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 09:24:26 pm »

DF is the one game that goes to the trouble of allowing complex high-level interspecies relations with chances for interesting narratives to emerge about integration that more accurately reflects how 'race' worked in our own world for very large periods of time, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly so many players decide to destroy every little complexity that might possibly have been able to arise from the interlocking systems.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 09:30:13 pm »

Yeah that goblin overcame their evil nature and is most likely at war with his original home he might possibly be killing members of his/her family yet it's doing what's right a goblin king of the dwarves is a brave hero not someone to be killed due to stereotypes goblins evil is because of their upbringing nothing more!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 05:49:37 am »

DF is the one game that goes to the trouble of allowing complex high-level interspecies relations with chances for interesting narratives to emerge about integration that more accurately reflects how 'race' worked in our own world for very large periods of time, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly so many players decide to destroy every little complexity that might possibly have been able to arise from the interlocking systems.
It's not destroying it, it's just continuing the storyline where worldgen left off :^)
Pages: [1] 2