Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alcohol as a dedicated liquid with volume.  (Read 1782 times)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol as a dedicated liquid with volume.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

A waterfall of booze over a main corridor with a caged fire imp up top.

From the happiest corridor on earth to a wall of firey death in one lever!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bigmcstrongmuscle:
<STRONG>A waterfall of booze over a main corridor with a caged fire imp up top.

From the happiest corridor on earth to a wall of firey death in one lever!</STRONG>

Elite Goblin Spearman goes in, !!Goblin Drunk!! staggers out.   :D

BlutundEisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tp12:
<STRONG>Frozen booze palace   :D</STRONG>

Well, the dwarfes would always lick on the walls and stick there with their tongues frozen to the wall. Btw does it get cold enough to freeze booze?

BlutundEisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bigmcstrongmuscle:
<STRONG>A waterfall of booze over a main corridor with a caged fire imp up top.

From the happiest corridor on earth to a wall of firey death in one lever!</STRONG>

Hmmm, don't know if the fire can crawl up the booze fall and explode your whole booze reservoir -.-
But if we have a flaming booze moat, I would suggest setting arrows on fire, now that we have a controllable firesource, letting rain down fire on the gobbos or even throw it with a catapult *dream*

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 05:00:00 am »

We could use booze for cooling down lava and use the resulting obsidian to make swords. Booze-encrusted swords.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 06:15:00 am »

Two words:  Booze Mist.

Do I get a happy thought?

Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nahkh:
<STRONG>We could use booze for cooling down lava and use the resulting obsidian to make swords. Booze-encrusted swords.</STRONG>

If a dwarf where to get stabbed by one, would it be a happy or a unhappy tought?

Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Jazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

Now that I think about it, this has to be some strong booze these dwarves are drinking if you can use it as an explosive.

You can't just light a normal alcoholic beverage on fire since most of them don't contain more than a few percent alcohol by volume. 100 proof on the other hand is basically pure alcohol. Lighting that on fire is no big deal.

I wonder if there is going to be some kind of differentiation between the relitive strengths of the alcohol. For instance, you pour a barrel of rum and a barrel of beer into a holding tank, the mixture is going to be stronger than beer, but weaker than rum. Depending on the alcohol content of the mixture, it may or may not light on fire when exposed to it.

he Spicy Shrine.
Fellowship of Lunches?
Humans who worship food?
We need more DF religion in real life.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jazz:
<STRONG>Now that I think about it, this has to be some strong booze these dwarves are drinking if you can use it as an explosive.

You can't just light a normal alcoholic beverage on fire since most of them don't contain more than a few percent alcohol by volume. 100 proof on the other hand is basically pure alcohol. Lighting that on fire is no big deal.

I wonder if there is going to be some kind of differentiation between the relitive strengths of the alcohol. For instance, you pour a barrel of rum and a barrel of beer into a holding tank, the mixture is going to be stronger than beer, but weaker than rum. Depending on the alcohol content of the mixture, it may or may not light on fire when exposed to it.</STRONG>

All dwarven beverages contain 100% alcohol.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Another thing that would be cool: blood as a fluid.

I will not be satisfied until I have waterfalls of blood surrounding my giant elaborate throne.  :D (which is made out of the skulls of my fallen enemies, natrually)

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy:
<STRONG>Two words:  Booze Mist.

Do I get a happy thought?</STRONG>

No, because if you do it with beer it'll foam up.

Cilob Rakustamost, Miner cancels Dig: Blinded by foam.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

You could put the booze-fall by the depot and then proceed to make a killing off of the non-dwarven traders, assuming their livers don't immediately turn into bricks from exposure to the dwarven alcohol.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jazz:
<STRONG>
</STRONG>

You can actually light a number of stronger spirits on fire. They used to set the stuff on fire to prove strength, and that it wasn't watered down.

And 100 proof is actually ~50% alcohol.

The Odd Fielding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

The logical extension of this would allow any conceivable liquid to be modeled, with definitions in the raws, properties like viscosity, freezing and boiling points...

So when you buy those barrels of venom from the traders, you could pour them into the moat.

But in fact, almost every substance ought to have temperatures defined at which it becomes solid, liquid, or gas.  Iron vapor?  Hot running adamantine?  Well, theoretically.

And if we combine this with the idea that's been bandied about involving stone swords out of flint and what-not...why, you ought to be able to make any item out of any solid material.  Just define the methods necessary to refine the material into gear in the raws!  So metal arms and their forges and anvils would be abstracted into tags like [HEAT_TO_REMOVE_IMPURITIES] (a very clumsy example only).  If you can find some other way to heat to remove impurities...then you don't need a forge.

But the upshot, and getting back to the original point of the thread, is that not only could you freeze your booze into rum swords and beer helmets in sufficiently cold climes...

...you could have your enormous alcohol reservoirs chilled by ice battleaxes.  What could be more appropriate for a dwarf?

Or better yet - set hand-shaved ice flagons floating out through the spirits system.  Truly, the lap of luxury.

Pages: 1 [2]