Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bay12 52-Book Challenge [2016]  (Read 3381 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 52-Book Challenge [2016]
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »

Do rereads count? I've been trying to make my funds last as long as I can.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:46 pm »

Going by Arx's list, I guess so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:16 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:52:31 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 07:01:17 pm »

If you want them to! I'm certainly going to be rereading some things, because I have a different perspective on life since I last took a look. I guess I'll mark my rereads with a *.

I hardly ever buy books, myself. Virtually everything I read I've owned for a long time or I get from one of the local libraries. I'm really fond of the "staff picks" shelf.
Good good.

Actually, I do have another reason for rereading these particular ones, as my list is going to demonstrate very well. I've been doing some genre research since the start of the year to help with my writing.

Spoiler: 8/52 (click to show/hide)

tfw you realize you haven't read anything in your actual genre for three months.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 05:11:03 am »

I don't suppose parts (big ones, like half (or more!) the thing) of books count, do they? If yes, I can probably add a ton of stuff to the list. Otherwise, it's going to be not that big. History course in university makes you read a lot of stuff, all the time (and with small deadlines because apparently teachers can't conceive that there are other subjects that also are handing out texts) and that leaves precious little time for non-academic stuff.

When I was in university I didn't considered selected chapters of books as "reading challenge material", unless said part was available also as a single work.
I do consider books I read for work, though. Not that I read a lot of books for work.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.
Pages: 1 [2]