Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves, Walls, and Floodgates  (Read 621 times)

Fredward

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves, Walls, and Floodgates
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

Though I have taken the advice of the wiki in preventing dwarves from standing on the wrong side of a floodgate when constructing, it does not seem to work. That is, I set the tiles to "restricted" behind the floodgate\wall\what-have-you, yet they always end up on the wrong side. Is there an alternate method?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves, Walls, and Floodgates
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

Restricted travel just means that they'll prefer different routes when figuring out how to get from point A to point B; it does not affect their choice of points. This is also, I suspect, why dwarves entrance-dance. To get dwarves to stand on a certain side while building/mining/etc., you have to physically block the sides they prefer.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

I have found that indicating that a wall should be built on the "forbidden" side and then immediately suspending it works wonders.  When the dwarves then take the build wall/floodgate/whatever job that for the object you do want built, they'll avoid standing in an area where something else is going to be built, even if it is suspended.  Once the thing is built that you want, just cancel the construction on the other wall.  There are unfortunately a few places where walls don't work (stairs, for example), but maybe (I haven't tried) building/suspending a different item (like another set of stairs) would work.

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Exponent ]

Tulthix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

Relevant quote from the wiki ( http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Traffic  ):

quote:

Traffic designations only affect path preferences when pathfinding. Dwarves generally choose their jobs without weighing the pathfinding costs. For example, one cannot use traffic designations to direct a dwarf to confine his digging to a specific area. He will still take whatever path necessary to get to the job he has chosen to work.

Additionally, traffic designations cannot be used to restrict where a dwarf will stand when building/digging. In other words, traffic designations will not prevent a dwarf from placing himself on the outside of the fort when the last tile of a moat or wall is completed. In some cases, a workaround is to place a wall where you want the dwarf to avoid standing, and suspend it. This prevents him from standing on that tile while building/digging. When the job is finished, the suspended wall may be canceled.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

I edited  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/How_do_I_construct_a_wall_from_a_particular_direction , which is probably where the OP was looking, to match the recommendation in that traffic page.  Hopefully this will help various people out, being probably easier to find.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

If I'm constructing a wall, I usually leave one stone that I know the dwarves will build, say, from the left, unbuilt until last in order to avoid that kind of situation.  I've actually lost dwarves due to dehydration before I started doing this.  If I want the dwarves to be inside the wall when it's finished so that one isn't stuck outside, I'll find a square that can't be built from the outside at all, and make that the last one built.

Fredward

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Exponent:
<STRONG>I edited  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/How_do_I_construct_a_wall_from_a_pa rticular_direction , which is probably where the OP was looking, to match the recommendation in that traffic page.  Hopefully this will help various people out, being probably easier to find.</STRONG>

Precisely the page I was looking at. Thank you, I rely far too much on the wiki.