Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Veil of Memories [Remake] (dead)  (Read 10308 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
The Veil of Memories [Remake] (dead)
« on: March 22, 2016, 04:23:51 pm »

After doing a lot of thinking, I've decided to give one of my old attempts at forum games another shot. I believe I now have a much better grasp of how to handle all these different strings of things happening at once in a progressive storyline, so I shouldn't be as easily overwhelmed as I was before.

And so, without further ado, I give you the reboot! Enjoy!
~ Xvareon

You are a citizen/visitor in Harker's Ford, a quaint but rapidly-growing village of roughly 700 people that lies astride the river Tearsfall and the new land trade route connecting... actually, you can't remember the name of the nation. You can't remember much of anything, really. And from what it looks like, you aren't the only one. A strange pall of amnesia seems to be affecting the town, causing many who live there to forget about the outside world, and those who visit to lose memory of why they stopped there in the first place, or where they were going afterwards.

Life at the Ford is relatively good so far, but you can... sense... that something is wrong. The disappearances are getting more frequent. Stranger and stranger folk have been entering town, and once you swear that you saw... something... unnatural beneath one of their hoods. A thick, almost palpable blue fog is beginning to cover the town and the land surrounding it, strangely seeming to avoid some buildings or locations where people frequent. Everyone else in the town seems blissfully unaware of what is going on, but you are one of the few who has managed to hold on to enough of their sanity to act, and get to the bottom of this mystery before it is too late.

The time has come to pull back the veil.

Quote from: RTD Standard 1.0 ruleset
Simply post an action and I will roll for it, based on a scale of 1-6 in terms of success.
[1]: Critical failure. Your efforts only worsened your situation. Attempting to shoot at a target only to have the shot ricochet and strike an ally falls under this category.
[2]: Failure. You failed to achieve whatever action you attempted, though you may not have made things worse in the process.
[3]: Meager success. You may have progressed a little or saw something new, but usually nothing close to what you were hoping.
[4]: Success. You achieved your goal more or less in line with average expectations.
[5]: Epic success. You went above and beyond achieving your goal, and usually got very lucky, as well.
[6]: Overshot. You achieved your goal, but your efforts were so much that collateral damage or the creation of additional problems is likely; i.e, "You leap to attack the creature on the cliff ... sending you both flying off the edge!"

If at any time something threatens a player (i.e. being attacked), that player may make a roll to avoid the threat. Damage incurred or inflicted is also calculated by dice, though the rolls are reversed (lower rolls = higher damage). Certain abilities, items, and effects can influence the roll positively or negatively.

When you attack an enemy, you make an Attack roll to determine accuracy; the higher this roll, the better. If your attack lands, then the enemy makes a roll to determine how much damage it takes; the lower this roll, the more damage is taken. So having + bonuses to your damage rolls means that the enemy takes a penalty when they roll for damage; i.e, a +1 to damage from a weapon results in a -1 penalty on damage rolls for your target. Having + bonuses or - penalties to damage resistance affects a creature or object's rolls accordingly.
Quote from: RTD Advanced Rulings
For each action, any number of rolls may be made, as determined by the GM.
Primary causes for multiple rolls include, but are not limited to:
  • Actions explicitly composed of multiple actions
  • Actions that imply other actions that are not declared free
For every dodge roll, any number of additional rolls may be made, as determined by the circumstances, and any skills or special effects applied to the player.

If you post two turns worth of actions, they will be done in order:  The first happens on that given turn, and the second action will be carried out the following turn (assuming it still can be, or nothing changes to make it impossible). Players can use this to post directives for their character to follow automatically if they cannot be present to post an action for their next turn.
Quote from: RTD Extended 1.3 Rules
Each successive dodge roll during a turn, unless it is a dodge against the same object or character, will get a cumulative -1 penalty.

If you are Stunned, Dazed, or otherwise receive a temporary penalty to overall or individual rolls, this penalty lasts until your next action is resolved, and not through the whole turn.
If you receive a long-term effect that has the potential to alter itself, you get an Effect Resistance roll immediately after your action is resolved to determine the spread and consequences of the effect.
If you are Unconscious, whatever penalty you receive will be under Failguard -- it cannot reduce your roll score below 2, unless stated otherwise.
If you receive a mortal wound but are not killed outright, you need to pass a roll to dodge Death at the end of every turn. Only bad rolls here will provide penalties to survival rolls.

You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action.
In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.

Playerlist (6/6): (EDIT:  These slots are not first-come-first-serve. I will choose 6 characters that I like from those who post here to start the game with, any others will be waitlisted. This does mean you aren't necessarily out of luck if you weren't one of the first 6 people to post, though!)
Jadan (_DivideByZero_), male Human visitor
Vi (Kevak), female Kitsune visitor
Rachael Mori (DarkArtemisFowl), female Human visitor
Webley Alduous (webadict), male Gnome resident
Amelia P. Tiric (Tiruin), female Human visitor
Ophelia T. Darcy (Fniff), female Human resident

Waitlist:  (To those who didn't make the cut, don't worry; you've all got some pretty good ideas, and some of you might still make it into the game, depending on how well our initial group here does. If one of the party dies -- or I decide I can handle more people at a time -- I will personally select someone from the waitlist here to fill that gap.)
inaluct
Harry Baldman
Salsacookies
WunderKatze
crazyabe
Lenglon
AbstractTraitorHero

Spoiler: Death/Absence system (click to show/hide)
Just post your preferred character here, like so:
Name:
Race:
Appearance: (because it's kinda boring for me if I don't have particular character traits to include in my posts, leading me to assume a lot.)
Occupation: (Are you a traveling trader, or scholar? Fisherman? Local militiaman? Tavern waitress? Or simply unemployed? Take your pick.)
Starting position: (Let me know if you've got a specific part of town or surrounding area you'd like to start the game in, and I'll do my best to work you in. If you'd rather not choose, I'll just roll a d6 and let that decide your positioning.)
Primary power/ability: (Pick 1 (I will roll for this))

Well, I guess that about covers it! Have fun, everyone! If you have any questions, please, don't hesitate to ask, either here or via PM.

P.S: The rules and style of this game are inspired greatly by Sean Mirrsen's 'Multiworld Madness' series of games, Book 1 in particular. You should definitely read that too if you get the chance; it's one of the best -- if not THE best -- forum games on all of Bay 12 Forums.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:46:17 pm by Xvareon »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories [Remake]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:36:21 pm »

This is about 99% done. Let me know what you think.

Spoiler: Rachael Mori (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:07:21 am by DarkArtemisFowl »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:05 pm »

Ooh I'd like to join if a sheet can wait till tomorrow?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 05:46:13 pm »

Ooh I'd like to join if a sheet can wait till tomorrow?
Of course. ^^  I mean, it's not like I'm gonna start this today, or anything. Gotta get people together first and figure out their placements, then build some stuff around that on my end.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:55:36 pm »

Name: George Wickham
Race: Human
Appearance: Handsome, youthful, strong and distinguished. Captain George Wickham is dashing and charming, well dressed, and the very picture of a romantic hero. He is quick to make friends, the center of attention at every ball, and always interesting in a conversation. He is manly and strong, but meticulously well-dressed. Both his manner of speaking and his poised air are unusually aristocratic for rural Harker's Ford. In spite of his high class tendencies, he is far from a limp wristed dandy. Underneath his jocular exterior, he is imprudent and shameless, riddled with vices and strugglingly short on virtues.
Status: Resident. He does not remember how long, but not very long.
Occupation: Captain of Harker's Ford militia, appointed by strings being pulled on his behalf by his relations.
Starting position: The men have become increasingly erratic as of late, and his own mind feels fogged and burdened by some nameless guilt. In a rare moment of solitude, he sits alone at his desk, carefully examining a small golden locket that he cannot recall the provenance of. He stares at the small portrait within; the image of a beautiful young woman, inscribed "Lydia," and feels a pang of worry and dread as he struggles to remember...
Primary power/ability: The captain is a natural socialite. He cannot help but be charming and persuasive and liked. To a preternatural degree.

I totally understand if you veto this.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:00:25 pm by inaluct »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 06:10:07 pm »

Name: Polly
Race: Kitsune
Appearance: a lean red-haired woman wearing a distinctly out-of-place kimono as well as a sword looted from some foreign adventure, then hawked a full three times from hand to larcenous hand before coming into her possession through a very fortuitous divorce. This appears to be her idea of Sunday dress. It must be quite an occasion.
Starting position: Market
Primary power/ability: a supernatural aptitude at spilling, whether it be blood, ichor or anything else that flows with any degree of swiftness.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:17:29 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 06:13:39 pm »

Appearance: Handsome, youthful, strong and distinguished. Captain George Wickham is dashing and charming, well dressed, and the very picture of a romantic hero. He is quick to make friends, the center of attention at every ball, and always interesting in a conversation. He is manly and strong, but meticulously well-dressed. Both his manner of speaking and his poised air are unusually aristocratic for rural Harker's Ford. In spite of his high class tendencies, he is far from a limp wristed dandy. Underneath his jocular exterior, he is imprudent and shameless, riddled with vices and strugglingly short on virtues.
Occupation: Captain of Harker's Ford militia, appointed by strings being pulled on his behalf by his relations.
Starting position: The men have become increasingly erratic as of late, and his own mind feels fogged and burdened by some nameless guilt. In a rare moment of solitude, he sits alone at his desk, carefully examining a small golden locket that he cannot recall the provenance of. He stares at the small portrait within; the image of a beautiful young woman, inscribed "Lydia," and feels a pang of worry and dread as he struggles to remember...
Primary power/ability: The captain is a natural socialite. He cannot help but be charming and persuasive and liked. To a preternatural degree.

I left spots on the militia roster open, so no, I don't really see a reason to veto it. He looks pretty good, actually!

EDIT:  On second thought... being Captain of the Guard would give you quite a level of power, I'd think. It might not balance correctly with everyone else's powers. Would being just one of the guards work for you? Because I'm thinking that might work better.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:16:50 pm by Xvareon »

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 06:15:28 pm »

Name: Yor Igor
Race: Hunchback
Appearance: A large man who would have been tall, if it weren't for his mountain of hunchback that weighs him down. He has long hair and a large set of mutton chops on his long face, both of which are Raven black. His white skin is like scarred porcelain, with cracks and cuts both deep and shallow,  with a nightmarish, acne-ridden face of innumerable jagged, wicked teeth, and black, Beady eyes, deep in a Neanderthal-like brow.
Occupation: He Works as a Gravekeeper, tending the flowers and burying the corpses.
Starting position: I will let the dice decide.
Primary power/ability: Corpse Whisperer: He can speak to and understand the Undead. The Undead are magnetically attracted to him, and tend to follow him wherever he goes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:39:27 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 06:40:48 pm »

Going to post a character I've been wanting to play for a while.

Question, is this FCFS or are you just picking your favorite characters of the bunch?

Name: Jadan
Appearance: Long, tangled black hair with steel-gray eyes and a cold expression. He wears a bearskin cloak over a black gambeson and trousers. His left index finger doesn't curl up all the way but he is otherwise healthy and has had no lasting injuries, uncommon for a man of his trade.
Occupation: He is a bounty hunter who always seems to be on top of things, info-wise. Prefers a crossbow over melee combat, and carries a lot of poisons around. Prefers to hunt/stalk people at night, and never seems to get lost.
Starting position: In the tavern, as always.
Primary power/ability: He can read the stars and the moon for events which have transpired under the night. He can also see perfectly under starlight, and possibly see things he wouldn't normally be able to see if he is successful, such as a man walking on the other side of a hill.

Backstory:
Jadan was born as the son of a bowyer, the second-best in his hometown of Zdzisław, fated to be a craftsman by trade and married to the mayor's daughter by arrangement. He spent a lot of time hunting, however, and frequently went on excursions that separated him from his elders for days, even weeks at a time. On his final excursion before he left the town, he left into the night and took a girl named Selene with him from the pub. Both of them drunk, Jadan claimed he could kill the leader of a notorious band of theives. The girl called herself a princess and told him that this task was a quest given unto him, and that he would be punished by death if he failed. So they left the town, and came upon the camp at an hour when the bandits were sleeping except one who kept watch. Before Jadan struck, Selene gave him five tasks to be completed by nightfall: to bring back the bandit's head on a plate, to take two arms from the lookout, to take a leg from the second-in-command, to take another leg from a sleeper without waking him, and to twist off his own finger. This would show his devotion to the princess.

Naturally, Jadan failed every one of them. After taking out the sentry with a bolt, the bandit fell down a well and could not be recovered. Jadan could not figure out who the second in command was, or who the leader was, and so he bashed in the leader's head with a shovel and broke the knees of the second in command. The remaining two bandits both woke up and fled. Jadan at least tried to complete the final task, but the pain was too much; he couldn't do it all the way.

Selene, now less drunk than before, was horrified, but she realized he had done it be cause she said so... she was responsible. They then entered into a sort of romance and, knowing he had violated his betrothal, Jadan never returned to his hometown. Months later, Selene fell ill near Harker's Ford and started manifesting uncontrolled bouts of telekinesis, convincing the skeptic Jadan of the existence of magic. Not wanting Jadan to see her die, Selene went out into the forest claiming she had spoken to a moon spirit, and said she would return to the moon with the spirit in order to be healed.

She told him they would always be together, no matter how far she went. That was the last he ever heard from her, but he has not stopped looking to the moon every night and speaking with Selene, hoping to see her again soon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:43:15 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:34 pm »

I left spots on the militia roster open, so no, I don't really see a reason to veto it. He looks pretty good, actually!

EDIT:  On second thought... being Captain of the Guard would give you quite a level of power, I'd think. It might not balance correctly with everyone else's powers. Would being just one of the guards work for you? Because I'm thinking that might work better.

I was thinking of the whole captain thing in a more investigative or story centered way, but that's fine if it doesn't fit in. After looking through a couple of pages of the linked game, it looks like the tone and structure of this will probably be different than what I expected when I wrote up the character sheet. I'll come up with another one.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 07:11:39 pm »

I hope this is ok.

Name: Nhayr
Appearance: A skinny, pale skinned, feminine man of early twenties. He has silver eyes, longish dark hair and a scar shaped like an inverted cross from his chest to his lower torso. He wears dark rags, with a hood something like what a monk would wear. He was taken in as a student to a priest found in the wild. Apparently he can eat raw meat without any negative side effects. He also has a necklace with a pedant in the shape of a crow, he has long forgotten where he got it.

Nhayr is used to eating little, has a high tolerance for pain and is surprisingly dexterous, he is fit to survive the wild in which he spent his early life.
Status: Raised in the town after he was found in the wild at age 8.
Starting potion: at the river, searching for his spirit in its reflections.

Sometime in the past Nhayr was sure that he had some strong ambition, now he has forgotten it and he feels that his spirit as drifted far. The bounds of flesh have been pulled tight, he now seeks release, the waters invite him to take a swim; an eternal swim.
Primary power/ability: Unknown to him he at this time Nhayr can summon a ghastly knight wearing well fit black armor adorned in purple cloths, it wears a Galea with a face mask and has a long sword sheathed horizontally across its lower back. It is physically strong and gains the powers of those it destroys.
Nhyar has the power to draw out ones fears, inflict terrifying images upon his targets.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:48:05 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:52 pm »

Spoiler: Vi (click to show/hide)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 07:46:23 pm »

Let's reserve a spot while I write something up.

EDIT: I hope this will do.

EDIT 2: If you need other races... I'll gladly be a Gnome. I can't think of any other race that would be known for their mechanical engineering, incredible inventiveness and ingenuity, rugged short stature, and tattered clothing. I don't think there is any.

If this is considered too weak, I would prefer weaker over stronger. It's more flavorful to be weak and creative than strong. I'll take an auto-3/4 if allowed.
If this is considered too strong, I am up for negotiation. Much of the ability to control it can be taken away or limited in more ways. The intangibility can have drawbacks, many of which could be fatal or potentially fatal. I'm up for anything. Fair's fair, here. Maybe it's a ticking time bomb. That's up to the dice, I suppose!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:42:21 pm by webadict »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 09:02:06 pm »

Question, is this FCFS or are you just picking your favorite characters of the bunch?
I realize I didn't note this in my original post, and I'm sorry for that, but this game's slots are not first-come-first-serve. Since I'm being picky about the kinds of races and such people can pick, as well as occupations, I will also be choosing players to start the "first wave" of the game as well as those who get on the waitlist based on how much I like their character and how well I think it fits with the world. I will be patient and likely wait for a good few days before starting the game, though, so don't get too discouraged. Just make the best character sheet you can, and I'll try to help answer any questions as well as raise concerns where applicable.

Also, any player who goes absent from the game/doesn't put in an action will be put on autopilot for 1 turn before I eliminate them in some manner and replace them with a new player from the waitlist. If they've posted a second action for such an event then I will consider it accordingly in my plans, but otherwise, they will take an AI-driven action based on a d6 roll in terms of how bold or subtle/friendly to allies it will be.
I hope this is ok.

Name: Nhayr
Appearance: A skinny, pale skinned, feminine man of early twenties. He has silver eyes, longish dark hair and a scar shaped like an inverted cross from his chest to his lower torso. He wears dark rags, with a hood something like what a monk would wear. He was taken in as a student to a priest found in the wild. Apparently he can eat raw meat without any negative side effects. He also has a necklace with a pedant in the shape of a crow, he has long forgotten where he got it.

Nhayr is used to eating little, has a high tolerance for pain and is surprisingly dexterous, he is fit to survive the wild in which he spent his early life.
Status: Raised in the town after he was found in the wild at age 8.
Starting potion: at the river, searching for his spirit in its reflections.

Sometime in the past Nhayr was sure that he had some strong ambition, now he has forgotten it and he feels that his spirit as drifted far. The bounds of flesh have been pulled tight, he now seeks release, the waters invite him to take a swim; an eternal swim.
Primary power/ability: Unknown to him he at this time Nhayr can summon a ghastly knight wearing well fit black armor adorned in purple cloths, it wears a Galea with a face mask and has a long sword sheathed horizontally across its lower back. It is physically strong and gains the powers of those it destroys.
Uuuuummm... summon a ghastly knight... well, I guess I could have you at least see something like that in bits and flashes in your mind and eventually learn how to control it, but that sounds way too powerful a thing for me to just let you have from the start. Please pick a different primary power if you want me to consider that character.
Name: Jadan
Appearance: Long, tangled black hair with steel-gray eyes and a cold expression. He wears a bearskin cloak over a black gambeson and trousers. His left index finger doesn't curl up all the way but he is otherwise healthy and has had no lasting injuries, uncommon for a man of his trade.
Occupation: He is a bounty hunter who always seems to be on top of things, info-wise. Prefers a crossbow over melee combat, and carries a lot of poisons around.
Starting position: In the tavern, as always.
Primary power/ability: Jadan conducts most of his hunting activities during the night. He has the ability to bring up a False Moon if the real moon hasn't risen yet and the sun is down. During a false moon, the local area is completely isolated from the rest of the world. Trying to walk out will only result in your path looping back in on itself in unpredictable ways.

If the false moon is allowed to set in the west (which it can do quickly if Jadan is skilled), then the events which transpired under the false moon will have transpired in history. Everything continues as usual.
Jadan can also, however, cause the false moon to set in the east (back where it came from), which timeskips to sunrise. Nothing that transpired under the false moon happened in history--any person that dies will show up again as if nothing happened. Any monsters killed will roam free, any teammates that died will end up lost in the woods but will otherwise be fine, and so on.

If Jadan dies while the moon is setting east, it will reverse course and set west normally again.

(Not sure if this power interferes with your plans or what. ;))
Yes, that kind of power does indeed interfere with my plans... particularly since it overlaps with part of what the Veil is already doing. Moon attunement is an acceptable type of power if your character believes the moon activates such powers, but not actually being able to essentially section off an entire local area into a pocket dimension with a false moon. Moreover, being able to bend time itself for not just yourself but anything and everything up to and including DEATH is a LITTLE beyond what I had in mind for a starting primary power. Try starting out small and working yourself up if you want big field-spells at all, let alone anything that powerful. Sorry to crush your dreams. =P

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »

Spoiler: Character sheet! (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6