Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 93980 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Fashes gona fash
« Reply #1035 on: October 20, 2020, 10:07:16 pm »

Yeah it's fair enough there' the sentiment that the government is to blame, however it's the matter that you presented it quite as if Evo was sitting in a dark room ordering mob-style hits on opposition politicians, which isn't supported. People dying because of the police at demonstrations is bad, but a very different kettle of fish to suggesting someone is doing targeted assassinations:

He definitely has had his fair share of opponents/obstacles killed (I know somebody well who has had several colleagues killed by him when he was president), though you are right that here he didn't go down that path.

"had his fair share of opponents/obstacles killed" clearly implies assassinations. Stating that he had his "fair share" of opponents taken out by killing them is pretty prejudicial, given the actual information.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:11:51 pm by Reelya »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 20, 2020, 10:10:48 pm »

"had his fair share of opponents/obstacles killed" clearly implies assassinations.

Yeah, poor choice of words there from me. I can't claim calling cards were left or anything. (My understanding is that it was mob-style hits actually, though per MSH's point I can't say he ordered it from a dark room considered how much it happens in much of the world from mid-level authorities.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 20, 2020, 10:12:59 pm »

If there were private companies involved in an infrastructure project it's actually far more likely that someone related to a company was involved to be honest*.

It's extremely unrealistic that Evo was ordering hits on indigenous protest movements to take them out. That's not the sort of thing that happens in the real world, even in the worst dictatorship that's not how the comms works.

After all, you do need to take motives into account. What would Evo's motive be to order such a hit? Nothing would make any sense. As a politician, such an incident would only be a liability, as it proved to be when because of the 2011 police crackdown, Evo cancelled the entire project. You don't sit in a room ordering hits on protestors if your response to protest deaths is going to be to instantly cave into their demands, sack your police minister, then order the police to stand down. So, Evo's motivations to do such a thing are 180 degrees at odds with how he reacted to the aftermath:

"yes, police minister, ruthlessly kill the protestors, then I can give in to their demands and sack you and reprimand the police. all part of the plan".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:25:35 pm by Reelya »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 20, 2020, 10:29:35 pm »

I'll reach out to this person tomorrow and try to get more info.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 21, 2020, 12:17:32 pm »

Okay, so I had the chance to have a chat with them, and looks like an apology is in order - my memory was off and I was conflating several countries together.

For Bolivia (and Evo) in particular, there was only one incident of note: a lowlands indigenous leader was a rising star and seen as a potential competitor/threat to Evo and MAS, even though he didn't oppose them. He was badly beaten/tortured (including several limbs broken) by the party and then left the limelight. Several others who had some level of popularity, both inside and outside MAS, were intimidated (but not beaten) into subservience.

(As to the main offenders in violence against indigenous colleagues since 2000, they were in Peru and Honduras- countries with rather different political situations.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 21, 2020, 01:21:44 pm »

Just wanted to congratulate the thread into not devolving into a flame war in my absence. Carry on.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 21, 2020, 05:30:20 pm »

Okay, so I had the chance to have a chat with them, and looks like an apology is in order - my memory was off and I was conflating several countries together.

For Bolivia (and Evo) in particular, there was only one incident of note: a lowlands indigenous leader was a rising star and seen as a potential competitor/threat to Evo and MAS, even though he didn't oppose them. He was badly beaten/tortured (including several limbs broken) by the party and then left the limelight. Several others who had some level of popularity, both inside and outside MAS, were intimidated (but not beaten) into subservience.

(As to the main offenders in violence against indigenous colleagues since 2000, they were in Peru and Honduras- countries with rather different political situations.)

Oh yeah, Honduras is pretty terrible for political violence. I don't know much about what's gone on in Peru however.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Need a Catchy Title
« Reply #1042 on: October 21, 2020, 07:05:27 pm »

Y´know I would suggest some clever pun with MAS and más, like más MAS, but I´m not familiar enough with Spanish to not embarrass myself. I´unno, something catchy with MAS.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: October 21, 2020, 07:42:18 pm »

Más de MAS masivo!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 22, 2020, 11:02:04 am »

Nice to see OAS concede on this one. Regardless of my criticisms of Evo, this is a heck of a lot better than the pre-Evo old guard seizing back control of the country.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Moralism
« Reply #1046 on: November 09, 2020, 11:28:00 pm »

Guess I get to the person to drop a note in here that a) the arrest warrant against Evo was dropped a little while back, and b) he returned to Bolivia earlier today.

He technically does still face charges, but for now at least I doubt they'll be acted on.

I had also heard a rumor or two that interim government people could get charged for their various malfeasances, but haven't been able to find hard evidence of that.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 18, 2021, 01:03:55 am »

Arise Chileans and Other americans!

Interesting results in the election for the Chilean Constitutional Convention - the body that is tasked with rewriting the Chilean constitution.

A big win for Independents [sic?]

CNN’s local channel in Chile projected independents would win 45 seats, Chile Vamos would gain 39, the centre-left 25, the far-left 28 and a small coalition would take one seat. Seventeen seats have been reserved for the country’s indigenous communities.

On the face of it this means the governing centre-right does not have the numbers (by itself) to block changes that need 2/3 majority support.  Digging down a bit it seems that various shades of left, from centre to far, have by far the majority but more than 1/4 of the electees are 'Independent'.  Not to mention the mandated numbers for gender and indigeneouity.  Bodes for a good constitution methinks.

Anyone closer to the action willing to give a non-mainstream gloss?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1048 on: May 18, 2021, 07:51:24 am »

Now all they need to do is nationalise the salt flats

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 30, 2022, 07:06:51 pm »

Necro-posting ‘cause it looks like Bolsonaro is on the way out, to be replaced with Lula, and I’ll be lambasted for bringing politics into emotion threads if I post there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 73