Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 94009 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Columbian Cartels
« Reply #285 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:44 pm »

"It is a civic and military action meant to reestablish the constitutional order and, more importantly, to save the country from its total destruction and to keep our young people and families from being murdered," he said."
Pretty much every justification for a military coup ever. He even used the "Think of the children!" card. Also, murdered? Maduro may be scum, but his forces haven't been going around doing mass murder.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2017, 08:20:03 pm »

Maybe he's saying that the existing police force is too weak to adequately discourage violence and murder? IDK.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2017, 08:43:21 pm »

"It is a civic and military action meant to reestablish the constitutional order and, more importantly, to save the country from its total destruction and to keep our young people and families from being murdered," he said."
Pretty much every justification for a military coup ever. He even used the "Think of the children!" card. Also, murdered? Maduro may be scum, but his forces haven't been going around doing mass murder.

Sounded exactly like an euphenism or a long form spelling of 'coup'.

It reminds me a bit of ~2011 when there were a ton of uprising in the middle east. Depending on how things go, we could see results like Egypt (iirc not much of a change in the end) or Syria (massive civil war) or Libya (the country fell apart).

Or Tunisia, where things actually turned out for the better, for the most part. Though it's definetly a volatile situation.

edit: Venezuela has now created a Ministry of Truth, well, okay, they call it a "truth commission".
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:35:29 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2017, 05:36:29 pm »

Trump, unsurprisingly, says he won't rule out military intervention in Venezuela.. Trump being Trump, I assume he has no idea what he is talking about.

Given that we've historically treated South America as our personal stomping grounds, I have a feeling that it won't go over well. And I'm sure Maduro will be quite pissed when he talks with Trump at the annual UN summit next month. Maybe if it is as part of some sort of coalition, it'd be okayish.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:23 pm »

Well there's no reason to explicitly rule it out, but that's hardly a guarantee that it'll happen either. And that does make the (pretty generous from what I've seen) assumption that Maduro will still be president this time next month.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:41 pm »

It happened a few days ago, but I simply couldn't find it english (someone please post it if you do find it), but Venezuela has been kicked from Mercosul. Don't know about Unasul, but I am guessing it too.

Peru has even kicked out their ambassador.

To no one's surprise, Maduro's constitutional assembly (rough translation, I have no idea what it should be called in english) has ratified him as president. Also not in english because can't find.

As for an intervention, that would be a clusterfuck of incredible proportions. And it would make every single country in South America except Colombia incredibly pissed off because that is Too Close.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Bolivarian Trumpets
« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:23 pm »

As if the situation wasn't fucked enough.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2017, 07:06:12 pm »

It happened a few days ago, but I simply couldn't find it english (someone please post it if you do find it), but Venezuela has been kicked from Mercosul. Don't know about Unasul, but I am guessing it too.

Peru has even kicked out their ambassador.

To no one's surprise, Maduro's constitutional assembly (rough translation, I have no idea what it should be called in english) has ratified him as president. Also not in english because can't find.

Well, "constitutional assembly" would be the literal translation. They haven't started calling it their parliament or national assembly or anything else yet AFAIK.

As for an intervention, that would be a clusterfuck of incredible proportions. And it would make every single country in South America except Colombia incredibly pissed off because that is Too Close.

Would some kind of joint thingy be doable? And yeah, I knew it would piss off the South American countries due to the fact that we've historically treated South America as our personal stomping grounds.

For now, I'm passing it off as Trump having no clue as to what he's talking about. Our military is already pretty stretched as it is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2017, 07:43:24 pm »

Just because things are already fucked does not mean that they cannot become more fucked. The maximum potential for fuckedness is practically infinite.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 12, 2017, 05:12:58 am »

Pretty sure 'constituent' is the correct english translation in this context (=National Constituent Assembly).

Just because things are already fucked does not mean that they cannot become more fucked. The maximum potential for fuckedness is practically infinite.

Yeah, although Maduro is looking worse by the day the real question is who, if anyone, is a better replacement.  Certainly the major opposition figures don't cut it; nor would an american puppet.  Thoughts?  Luisa Ortega is the only one who springs to mind in my vast distance.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:24 am »

Pretty sure 'constituent' is the correct english translation in this context (=National Constituent Assembly).

Actually, you're probably right. I saw 'consistuent assembly' be used elsewhere.

Yeah, although Maduro is looking worse by the day the real question is who, if anyone, is a better replacement.  Certainly the major opposition figures don't cut it; nor would an american puppet.  Thoughts?  Luisa Ortega is the only one who springs to mind in my vast distance.

If history is to be any guide, it'll be some sort of charismatic rebel leader. In all seriousness though, any rebellion over there is going to be in it's embryonic stages. It takes time to organize and while there have been a few apparent leaders, any smart leader is likely to lay low until the time is right.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:33:23 am by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:35 am »

What makes you think the opposition wouldn't subvert any popular rebellion into itself, or be the ones to stoke the fire in the first place? As I understand it coups isn't exactly beyond their scruples in the first place.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:18 am »

Me? I haven't heard anything about coups being beyond their scruples, though I'm assuming the 'forced down at gunpoint' type coup. It's certainly possible that they could subvert any popular rebellion into themselves.

As for striking the fire, that was already struck months ago when protests started.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 12, 2017, 01:21:12 pm »

So, remember how people opposed Clinton because she was the warmonger?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 12, 2017, 01:53:33 pm »

So, remember how people opposed Clinton because she was the warmonger?
Trump being a warmonger doesn't make Clinton not one, you know.

For the record: I dislike them both equally, but Trump is more likely to run the USA into the ground and provide me with sweet catharsis. So there's that.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 73