Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 93859 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Venezuelan Civil Unrest
« Reply #795 on: May 02, 2019, 03:20:12 pm »

Here it is:
https://twitter.com/Knesix/status/1123942390698586114?s=20
"They pretend to buy us" would be the literal translation.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 02, 2019, 03:39:11 pm »

Here it is:
I think it's "They intend to buy us", rather than pretend.

I haven't figured out yet if the guy you linked is pro- or anti- Maduro, but I partially agree with his assessment on Maduro's own reaction. I say partially because I see it less as a scared glare and more as sudden suspicion as to the intentions of the minister.

His eyes don't go wide in surprise so much as they narrow. It's hard to see the actual eyes in the video, I'm mostly going with the eyebrows.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:41:22 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 02, 2019, 04:50:49 pm »

Here it is:

I haven't figured out yet if the guy you linked is pro- or anti- Maduro, but I partially agree with his assessment on Maduro's own reaction. I say partially because I see it less as a scared glare and more as sudden suspicion as to the intentions of the minister.

His eyes don't go wide in surprise so much as they narrow. It's hard to see the actual eyes in the video, I'm mostly going with the eyebrows.
I agree with this
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 02, 2019, 05:40:08 pm »

Here it is:

I agree with this

Doesn’t help that the video is a bit grainy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 05, 2019, 08:29:43 pm »

Guaidó has said that he is considering asking the US for military intervention. Though it sounds more like he’s ‘keeping all options open’ and it’ll set up a showdown between Trump and Bolton because Bolton wants to fight half the globe whereas Trump doesn’t.

Also, Pompeo thinks Iran of all countries is involved in Venezuela. The only connection I can think of is OPEC, but if Pompeo wants to make Venezuela seem even more like a pawn in Great Power games, so be it /s

Incidentally, how would South American countries take it if Guaidó invited them rather than the US doing military intervention on its own initiative? Obviously there would be those who would still grumble about American imperialism, but since most of the meddling around in South America wasn’t at any local governments request.....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:35:53 pm by smjjames »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 05, 2019, 08:37:25 pm »

We probably wouldn't take the bait. It would be a lot of trouble for the good of no one. We might be terrified of the current situation, but a foreign intervention always worsens things. It would only radicalize Maduro supporters and is unlikely to solve anything. But I have been proven how stupid this can get every single time I challenge the feasibility of going lower, so take that into account.
In a time before time, I had a name.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 05, 2019, 08:48:08 pm »

I’m not saying it’s a good idea, was just wondering how it’d be perceived.

As for Brazil not taking the bait and joining in, Bolsonaro seems like quite the warhawk, or at least military-glory-hawk. I mean, he’s not banging war drums AFAIK, but he’s all ‘Make the military great again!’. At least that’s my perception.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:28 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:33:45 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 06, 2019, 05:58:20 am »

ptw

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 06, 2019, 06:00:52 am »

Hi Josh, welcome to the party! Not THAT party comrade, but this party!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 23, 2019, 09:56:07 am »

ptw

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:02 am »

Currently in the queue at a gas station with my brother in law, I arrived here at 3am, is currently 11am. He arrived at 5am. No signs of the station opening.

Its raining and we are inside the car roasting ourselves to death because the other option is opening the windows and flood the car. Turning it on is out of question because he has no gas, hence we are here.

Its like a fucking jungle here. Add this I couldn't have a shower this morning because he had no water.... is moments like this I... just hope for a better tomorrow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 23, 2019, 10:18:17 am »

Considering the circumstances, Baal, have you considered a syngas generator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFO4kidcgqs

Surely, there is no shortage of combustible garbage?  An old klunker from the 70s to 80s is the BEST for this kind of conversion.  TERRIBLE for the environment, but since you are kinda short on options, and sugar cane is probably in robust supply for combustion, why not?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 23, 2019, 01:50:43 pm »

2:50pm. Almost 12 hours so put 40lt of gasoline.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 23, 2019, 05:32:08 pm »

Yeah, the US sanctions are really fucking people up.

The resigning ambassador to Italy, Isaías Rodríguez, had this to say a couple of days ago:

"“I leave without rancour and without money, my wife has just sold the clothes her previous husband gave her in order to survive in the face of the US embargo. I’m trying to sell the car I bought when I arrived at the embassy and as you know I do not have a bank account because the gringos have sanctioned me and the Italian bank has closed its doors to me."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/21/venezuelas-ambassador-to-italy-resigns
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73