Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 92555 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Et tu, Portugal?
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2017, 03:10:06 pm »

Dastis is the Spanish foreign minister, and in that news item he's against sanctions as well.

Particularily notable because his goverment is at odds with Maduro's
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:46 pm »

The WH position on Venezuela isn't anything new. Also, the article doesn't mention Portugal anywhere. As Chairmanpoo said, Dastis is the Spanish Foriegn Minister, the article even mentions that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2017, 07:37:52 pm »

There are two articles. Click the word "Portugal".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2017, 07:49:29 pm »

I completely missed that, whoops.

Did Portugal give any specific reason? The article doesn't give one, other than stating 'Portugal clearly opposes it'.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:45 pm »

I completely missed that, whoops.

Did Portugal give any specific reason? The article doesn't give one, other than stating 'Portugal clearly opposes it'.
Dunno  However, Portugal says El Pais is "not truthful," EU member states have yet to address the matter collectively, they don't oppose sanctions, and they'll follow the EU lead.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 21, 2017, 03:59:21 am »

El Pais used to be a pretty decent newspaper, but in the last 6-7 years (particularily the last two) it has become progressively worse.  Nowadays it's pretty bullshitty. It's not unlikely that it's a spin on some minor news item
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:01:49 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:32 am »

It's hard to find anything on Venezuela, sadly. Which is why I went with them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2017, 01:22:23 pm »

The President of Colombia, Venezuela's neighbor, has upped the ante by saying that he and his government won't recognize tomorrow's vote as it 'lacks legitimacy'. I assume that this applies to a yes vote as not recognizing a no vote seems a bit silly.

It'll definetly be something closely watched to see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:10:39 pm by smjjames »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »

The President of Columbia, Venezuela's neighbor, has upped the ante by saying that he and his government won't recognize tomorrow's vote as it 'lacks legitimacy'. I assume that this applies to a yes vote as not recognizing a no vote seems a bit silly.

It's Colombia, you savage. This was pretty much expected since both countries hate each other for a ton of reasons.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Columbian Cartels
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2017, 04:14:53 pm »

The President of Columbia, Venezuela's neighbor, has upped the ante by saying that he and his government won't recognize tomorrow's vote as it 'lacks legitimacy'. I assume that this applies to a yes vote as not recognizing a no vote seems a bit silly.

It's Colombia, you savage.

Sorry, fixed now. And I guess the new thread title is poking fun at that? heh.

This was pretty much expected since both countries hate each other for a ton of reasons.

More of a 'jumping on the 'the maduro referendum is bad' bandwagon' in their case then.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:29 am »

The situation is only escalating further.

2 Opposition leaders with house arrest made calls for protests against the government and were subsequently arrested.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2017, 04:03:36 am »

Yeah, and a pro-government candidate was murdered in his own house 2 days ago. Things not going in the right direction there.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:48 am »

I have family in Colombia, they are embracing themselves for a Venezuelan Refugee wave. Also Maduro is supporting terrorist attacks in the north in an attempt to try and force a military intervention from Colombia into Venezuela as a distraction from the economic collapse.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2017, 08:05:55 pm »

I have family in Colombia, they are embracing themselves for a Venezuelan Refugee wave. Also Maduro is supporting terrorist attacks in the north in an attempt to try and force a military intervention from Colombia into Venezuela as a distraction from the economic collapse.

Does he think that Colombia would use the US's playbook? Probably more likely that the US would intervene militarily than Colombia.

In further Venezuela news, some army officers did a bit of a rebellion and attacked a base in the northwestern part of Venezuela

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/06/americas/venezuela-unrest/index.html

https://apnews.com/09c4b2d04da7419699ec268b3bdceea9/Venezuelans-watch-the-military-for-signs-of-fraying-loyalty

It hasn't escalated from there yet, but tensions sound like they're rising.

Also, there are some videos floating around on social media of some army guys saying that they are launching a resistance movement and said: "The move, Caguaripano said in the video, was not a "coup."
"It is a civic and military action meant to reestablish the constitutional order and, more importantly, to save the country from its total destruction and to keep our young people and families from being murdered," he said." When you say it that way, it sounds like an euphenism for a coup.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:32 pm »

It reminds me a bit of ~2011 when there were a ton of uprising in the middle east. Depending on how things go, we could see results like Egypt (iirc not much of a change in the end) or Syria (massive civil war) or Libya (the country fell apart).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:10:37 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 73