Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Darn Saltwater Backwash!  (Read 737 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Darn Saltwater Backwash!
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

I don't know if it is diliberate or if it's just because of how it works, but I settled at the mouth of a nice-looking bay with a river running into it, thinking, "Great, A river will give me fresh water, and my dwarves will do fine!"

Welll, turns out that the entire river is salty  :(

Darn ocean is washing back into the river, just like real life, rendering it undrinkable I think. Alas, the only methoid I thought i knew of, pumping water counts as purification, turns out to be false, so now my cistern of salty water pumped from the salty river laughs as the dwarves have to pick between starving or dehydration.

Thank goodness for elves!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: Darn Saltwater Backwash!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:59:00 am »

That is strange, the Pump purification should work.  Did you do natural walls or built walls? (And built floors)

Sometimes if the water touches a natural barrier it turns back into salt, though I've not ran into this problem on my map.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2382-dallithvodzasstibmer

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:08:00 am »

It was probably the natural floor on it. I'll be working on a better system eventually, if the fortress survives. The elvish supply of drink is gone, but fortunatly I had a rather large strawberry harvest, so I have my brewerys going again. Hopfully I will be able to get the whole thing running with some sense of efficiency here soon. My farmers are working non-stop planting and harvesting. I probably will need to allocate a few more to the task though, since it's only half the 10x10 field planted, so only 50 plants for a fortress of 50 food and drink. It is good for a single season, but it's not the increase I need to supply the next immigrant horde for another growing season. I'll pull it together, I just hope I don't loose too many dwarves in the process. Cistern M2 is about to begin, minus the natural sandy beach floor, and up one level higher. I might make it a permanent pump/waterfall combination. We'll see what I do when I pick it up tomorrow, when the major construction projects resume with a growing stockpile of food and drink, rather then shrinking.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

The ponds are salty too.  Any map that has a natural source of saltwater, will have all sources of water be saltwater.  

Rivers, aquifers, ponds, everything.

Tulthix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:23:00 am »

Just curious, what happens if you freeze the water then have it thaw?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

It doesn't freeze. It's a warm climate, but I suspect it will be counted as salty as well.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

im playing on a saltwater map now, and i was a bit woried because a cave in gave light injuries to most of my miners.  i thought they would languish in bed and never heal because there was no water to give them to drink.

but the good news was that if i just unbuilt the beds, they would go to work again in spite of their injuries.  one of them is mining away with a broken hand!  way to suck it up!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>The ponds are salty too.  Any map that has a natural source of saltwater, will have all sources of water be saltwater.  

Rivers, aquifers, ponds, everything.</STRONG>

My dwarves drink out of the aquifer just fine -- or at least they bring water buckets out from the aquifer-sourced wells to my "wounded" soldiers who are "recovering" on the beach.  I have too much booze for anyone to bother drinking water.