Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are dwarves *really* that inept?  (Read 501 times)

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are dwarves *really* that inept?
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:01:00 am »

First off, let me just say, I've yet to complete a map. There, I've said it. I always get to a certain point then *blam* the wheels start to come off the fortress.

So: I start yet again, having finally gotten the hang of food and drink and a relly good starting build. I have everything running like a swiss watch, except I'm a bit late getting smithing up so no coins for the fist caravan to ogle. Winter passes and spring come with Huzzah! my first immigrant wave, so I'm back at the fortress checking sone things when the message 'aspiring Dwarf, mason has drowned' pops at the bottom of the screen. And I pause and race off to find the imigrants just crossing the 3-long bridge and a little blood on the shoreline. Little bugger couldn't even successfully walk from the edge of the map to camp without drowning himself?!?!? I mean really...

Anyhow, another year passes, and at some point a craftsdwarf successfully creates a Jet bracelet. with rings on it and everything. I'd show you but for some unknown reason he decided to go for a swim in the spring floods the next year. Apparently a reallly long swim. And died.

By the way, if Toady is reading this, any chance we'll be able to dam up the river in the future? Would be nice to have some way to recover the artifacts of lost swimmers.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Are dwarves *really* that inept?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:18:00 am »

From what I've seen in the videos, it should be possible to redirect a river in the next version; though I'm not sure how/if fluid mechanics will move the underwater artifact around (it could go out of the map boundary before you get a chance to recover it).

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:51:00 am »

I noticed that animals like deers can push dwarves into water. If your mason was unconscious because of the hit, (s)he wouldn't have gotten up. And of course, dwarves are really bad swimmers and apparently can't decide into what direction to swim...

-Matias

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

dwarves don't swim in the flood, it washes them into the river. build statues along the banks and safety rails (one square wide drawbridges set to raise in the direction of the bridge to the north and south of it, raise them and optionally remove the lever) to stop them.

AFAIK if someone dies in 'deep' water (like the river or cave river, but not floodgate created floods) then the items are literally lost - it just deletes them out of memory instead of leaving them at the bottom of the river. I have no idea if this will be the same in the next version or not.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!