Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: I'm running a D&D adventure in a DF world and I need your help  (Read 6277 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: I'm running a D&D adventure in a DF world and I need your help
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 01:59:01 pm »

write down your rules
I'm making a good 50% of the rules up as I go along. Leveling and skill leveling work by me deciding they've practiced enough. My notes are to remind me, not to teach someone else.

I'll try.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »

I'm using golden salve as an extremely rare and valuable healing item. What could I use gnomeblight and mog juice for? I want my players to go wild when they spot a kobold bulb.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:47 pm »

Why bother repurposing an extant object that has radically different properties associated with it when you can make something new up?

You want a healing herb?  Call it Blue Crag Lace. (Say that ten times fast...) It grows on the sides of steep volcanic slopes on the cracks between basaltic boulders, and when prepared into a tincture, will send the drinker into a comatose slumber for three hours, during which any broken bone will mend. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 10:14:02 am »

Well, partly because golden salve isn't anything but extremely valuable, partly because it's rare enough to merit such a status, but mostly because I already pitched it to my players and they're going to use it as an income. Valley herb only grows in the spring, so you can buy it then and sell it later for profit.

But what about gnomeblight and mog juice? Maybe gnomeblight is toxic to everything, so it's used like rat poison? Mog juice could be a disinfectant.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 07:39:20 am »

Maybe gnomeblight is toxic to everything, so it's used like rat poison? Mog juice could be a disinfectant.

That sounds sensible. Mog juice as an disinfectant would be an interesting addition to healing, how will you handle infection?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »

Losing max HP over time. Different sizes of infection would cause different rates of max HP loss. How long does it take for a dwarf to die of an infected finger? A rotten body kills in about a month, I think.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 03:24:38 pm »

Well, I was presuming you were going for a full d20 system before, but if you really want to simulate DF-style wounds, you could try the Mechwarrior 3rd Ed system. 

In that game, you had a set number of dice for an attack, with extra power adding more dice. (Somewhat like World of Darkness/Vampire games.)  Also like those games, getting a 6 meant you could reroll and add on to the total.  Instead of "successes", however, you just add up the sum, and check the wound chart.

I don't have the chart in front of me, but it wound up being something like this:

0-9 - Does nothing.  Too weak to even bruise.
10-19 - Bruises (the skin/fat?). Add +1 to all subsequent wound rolls.  This stacks.
20-29 - Major Bruises. Add +3 to all subsequent wound rolls, and subtract one from actions that use this limb.
30-39 - Fractures. Add +5 to all subsequent wound rolls, subtract three from actions using this limb, and you have a major wound point, (more major wounds than stamina, and you die) that subtracts from all rolls.
40-49 - Limb destruction.  +7 to all subsequent wound rolls, limb is useless, and take two major wounds. You start bleeding heavily, causing major wounds every few turns if you don't receive immediate medical attention.
50-64 - Limb explodes in gore. +7 to all subsequent wound rolls, limb is severed, and take four major wounds. You are hemorrhaging, and take major wounds every turn if you don't receive immediate medical attention.
65+ Ludicrous Gibs.  Your entire body is either chunky salsa or ionized vapor regardless of the actual body part hit.  Instant death. (Note, this game had rocket launchers and 80-ton war machines that could fire lasers literally capable of melting a ton of steel in a flash, and had weapons that read how many people it killed per turn, rather than damage, so these deaths were pretty common.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 03:55:29 pm »

TIL, Minecart Shotgun =  Ludicrous Gibs!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »

Thanks, I'm already using a similar system. I don't want to go super overboard with the combat system - this isn't D&D in DF, this is DF in D&D.

If my players figure out that the world is a cube, I'm going to use the random plant generator to make plants for the next cube face.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:08 am »

Make sure you have a nice necromancer tower in your world. however They should have better control of their zombie minions.
your characters could later return to the dark fortress and exact their revenge.
Are hydras going to have classically regenerative heads or not? Abandoned dwarven fortressess that have a FB in them would be cool
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:01 pm »

Yes, there is one necromancer tower. Yes, there will be zombies. However, because of the way magic works, it's not that simple to become a necromancer. It takes years of practice, you don't just learn it. Read what I posted about Secrets on the last page.

I haven't really thought about hydras, but they'll probably have regrowing heads. And there will be FBs in dwarven fortresses.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 12:39:44 am »

What's the CR on a solid steel blob?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 02:49:10 am »

What's the CR on a solid steel blob?

Depends on if we are talking about 5.0 or 3.5.

5.0 it would probably be a CR 8 maybe 10. (less depending on how immobile it is)

3.5 it could be any CR under the sun.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 10:15:28 am »

It's a joke.  DF steel blobs are fully mobile, larger than an elephant, hit like a wrecking ball (because they rather literally can assume the shape of one), and functionally immune to damage that doesn't guarantee absolute annihilation of physical creatures like obsidianification.

It would be like one of those battles with a lich that revives in five turns even if you kill it - you can only win if you set up some Rube Goldberg machine to crush its one weak point.  (In this case, the "weak point" of a steel blob is that it is a physical object.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:17:58 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 01:50:10 pm »

There are no CRs, this is a homebrew.

The weakness of a steel blob is that if you throw a Keeper of Metals at it, the Keeper turns it into four thousand angry short swords.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5