Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: I'm running a D&D adventure in a DF world and I need your help  (Read 6254 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: I'm running a D&D adventure in a DF world and I need your help
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 02:03:06 pm »

Sounds good. No adamantine, though, since I feel like that's way too risky. If the players want to destroy the world, that's on them, but I won't suddenly have the world end because some idiot dwarf dug too deep.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 02:03:53 pm »

Um.  Dwarves have dug adamantine before.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »

My players are also my friends. They don't squabble, one party member holds on to all the money, everyone gets their fair share of loot. It's lots of fun for all of us.

That's cool and the right way to go!

As for trade, I agree with pikachu17's breakdown.  For humans, one important aspect thing bring to the table may be non-disgusting, surface grown foodstuffs.  Having read through the choices of meats brought by traders (human and dwarf), I think vegetarian is a very sensible option in the DF world.  Once one goes that route, humans have a much better selection than their dwarf counterparts.  Another consideration are weapon types and armor sizes.  Dwarves tend to produce weapons and armor for dwarves, not humans.  This means they generally wouldn't make morning stars, scimitars, etc.  That said, a character could commission such weapons and armor to be made by dwarves, but that would have to be a special deal as opposed to a commodity item.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2017, 03:47:18 pm »

Um.  Dwarves have dug adamantine before.
Maybe I'll just say it's so rare and holy you'll never see it.

Another consideration are weapon types and armor sizes.  Dwarves tend to produce weapons and armor for dwarves, not humans.  This means they generally wouldn't make morning stars, scimitars, etc.  That said, a character could commission such weapons and armor to be made by dwarves, but that would have to be a special deal as opposed to a commodity item.
One of my players does have a custom suit of steel armor. That was kind of how I was planning it - note I said metals and metal goods, not arms and armor. They probably make tools, weapons, and furniture.

In the Land of Omen, there is no gold. None. Instead, iron takes the place of gold. Also, silver is extremely common, so it isn't very valuable. The money works off a base 4 system. One iron equals four silver, one silver equals four copper.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 07:27:03 pm »

Land of no gold? Heh. I've gotten so used to omnipresent gold that embarking somewhere without it made me go "where are ze royal colors" and understand how much I actually like the blingy metal.

As for the above, hm, yeah. From my fort mode perspective, steel and better morningstars, two-handed swords, great axes, pikes, whips, etc. are insanely rare (I've never had a mood create one so far, though I've gotten two giant axe blades), vastly rarer than divine+ materials from elves/kobolds/earth.

It's kinda weird to have not it be reproducible after moods, but for this case could limit them to dwarf-human civ scholars with weaponsmithing experience. Though seems like you already planned this out.

As for adamantine, I've never seen a dwarf caravan bring it (deep-special tags prevent it raw-wise); and the closest I've heard of was worldgen fortresses ruins accidentally intersecting a miracle pole. Though it seems too early to use going by what you say.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]