Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1979 times)

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What am I doing wrong?
« on: March 24, 2016, 07:00:12 pm »

I know this is an open world but wheres the hostility?  Wheres the challenge... the adventure?  Im maybe 10 hours into playing in this mode.  I walked my first character into an unguarded tower, read a slab, and became a necromancer.  That char barely knows how to tie his highboots but he can raise dead.  Retired.  Started a second character, thought Id scout out some dark pits.  Despite their evil nature the goblins welcomed me with open arms... and my civ is at war with them.  I hear bandit camps are fun... all I see are tents full of sleeping people who never wake up.  This would be great if I wanted to roleplay a psychopath... but wheres the Good fight?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:20:27 pm »

Are you running with version 42.06?

bandit camps look like yellow camp fires on the travel map and do NOT have tents, so you just walked in on a resting army.

Necromancer towers are usually filled to the brim with undead, you got REALLY lucky with that unguarded one.
Did you happen to have  a fort in this world and annihilate the zombies? They could just be out attacking a hamlet.

Or it could be abandoned.

Beasts are always aggressive, ask around about beasts, then seek them out.

Vaults are also very fun.

Didnt you ask about the tents already in a  different thread?

they are refugees travellers or armies.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:23:50 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:50 pm »

Yep, 42.06.  Beasts are kinda over my head cause Im trying an unarmed solo char.  I ran into a were-elephant.  It tore off my arm but didnt give me the gift.  It died to a lucky coin toss then I retired.  I guess Ill have to find bandit camps.  Yeah, that was me that asked about the tents.  I was just verifying that it wasnt an anomaly... thought about regenning the world.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 07:41:27 pm »

Yep, 42.06.  Beasts are kinda over my head cause Im trying an unarmed solo char.  I ran into a were-elephant.  It tore off my arm but didnt give me the gift.  It died to a lucky coin toss then I retired.  I guess Ill have to find bandit camps.  Yeah, that was me that asked about the tents.  I was just verifying that it wasnt an anomaly... thought about regenning the world.

based on what you have said, I do suggest genning a  new world, you seem to have alot of anomalies.

they shouldn't always be sleeping,
I am an indie game dev!

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 07:58:51 pm »

Yeah Im sorry, Im just venting.  Ive learned that if I get bored I just need to dig deeper, so to say.  I just forgot that.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »

OP I think you're right, it's harder to get into exciting fights recently but they still happen and I think you have to look harder for them now. Occasionally there are legendary worthy psychos and it's cool but rare. I think the key is to look for asterisks when you wander the world map with a decent observer skill.

In my experience the bandits who take over a hamlet or hillocks are more aggressive than the bandits who move to the desert to flex in a big group.

Sometimes you can go to a meadhall while there's an ongoing insurrection. If this does happen, civilians will tell you about it when you ask about troubles.

I don't get into too many fights with dark fortress civilians but if I wander near them on the world map I can find ambushers who try to shoot me.

The time I did have goblin civilians attack me was when I walked into the fort, the beak dogs attacked me, then the trolls came at me because I was fighting beak dogs, then goblins came at me because I was fighting trolls, then other goblins came at me because I was fighting goblins.

You could find out where a bronze collosus got enshrined. They usually try to kill you. One way to guarantee yourself some fun is to let out demons in fort mode before adventuring, though I haven't done this lately.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:15:43 pm »

OP I think you're right, it's harder to get into exciting fights recently but they still happen and I think you have to look harder for them now. Occasionally there are legendary worthy psychos and it's cool but rare. I think the key is to look for asterisks when you wander the world map with a decent observer skill.

In my experience the bandits who take over a hamlet or hillocks are more aggressive than the bandits who move to the desert to flex in a big group.

Sometimes you can go to a meadhall while there's an ongoing insurrection. If this does happen, civilians will tell you about it when you ask about troubles.

I don't get into too many fights with dark fortress civilians but if I wander near them on the world map I can find ambushers who try to shoot me.

The time I did have goblin civilians attack me was when I walked into the fort, the beak dogs attacked me, then the trolls came at me because I was fighting beak dogs, then goblins came at me because I was fighting trolls, then other goblins came at me because I was fighting goblins.

You could find out where a bronze collosus got enshrined. They usually try to kill you. One way to guarantee yourself some fun is to let out demons in fort mode before adventuring, though I haven't done this lately.

I disagree about the harder to find fights thing especially with 42.06, I am almost constantly being attacked by something.and bandits are always aggressive when i refuse to be robbed, and beasts are always aggressive and vampires fight back just fine about half the time the other half they try to run away and its fun to chase them down (and then get ambushed by a giant dingo  while chasing them down) , , and undead fight you just like they always did and moreso since they move around on the world maps now, and almost all the creatures moving around on the world map are aggressive,  i think its easier seek death in the current version then it ever was in 34.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:20:24 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:24 pm »

I found my problem.  I was on a very bare small world.  About half the hamlets were vacant.  No camps, towns or shops.  It was my first time in adventure mode so I thought this was normal.  Im playing on a medium map and its a world of difference, har har har.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:47 am »

I know this is an open world but wheres the hostility?  Wheres the challenge... the adventure?  Im maybe 10 hours into playing in this mode.  I walked my first character into an unguarded tower, read a slab, and became a necromancer.  That char barely knows how to tie his highboots but he can raise dead.  Retired.  Started a second character, thought Id scout out some dark pits.  Despite their evil nature the goblins welcomed me with open arms... and my civ is at war with them.  I hear bandit camps are fun... all I see are tents full of sleeping people who never wake up.  This would be great if I wanted to roleplay a psychopath... but wheres the Good fight?

Just a guess but I'd say the pits you found have probably been occupied by your civ for the past couple of centuries and the resident goblins are essentially well-integrated green humans.

Walk into a real pits and you'll find every single goblin immediately goes beserk and...flees from you screaming. OK, not quite the good fight you were hoping for, but hang out for a bit and their military will eventually turn up.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 07:44:12 am »

I found my problem.  I was on a very bare small world.  About half the hamlets were vacant.  No camps, towns or shops.  It was my first time in adventure mode so I thought this was normal.  Im playing on a medium map and its a world of difference, har har har.

Awesome!
I am an indie game dev!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 11:49:10 pm »

Open the creature_standard.txt in your ...\df_42_06_win\raw\objects\ folder

Look for [CREATURE:HUMAN]
just below it, add
[CRAZED]

Look for [CREATURE:ELF]
just below it, add
[CRAZED]

Look for [CREATURE:GOBLIN]
just below it, add
[CRAZED]

Don't do it for the [CREATURE:DWARF] or it will prevent your to play in Fortress mode (the game would end into your fort being considered destroyed as soon as you embark)

Generate a new world (will not work on alreadt generated worlds, though you may want to try to edit the creature_standard.txt located in your \df_42_06_win\data\save\regionX\raw\ folder to see if it can work on an existing world)

Now in adventure mode, when you play as an adventurer, go visit a site of a different specie (out of dwarves, they'll just continue to be welcoming), then you'll see how fun it can be to feel that welcomed :)
Though i suggest to bring your whole party.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 12:00:09 am »

Open the creature_standard.txt in your ...\df_42_06_win\raw\objects\ folder

Look for [CREATURE:HUMAN]
just below it, add
[CRAZED]

Look for [CREATURE:ELF]
just below it, add
[CRAZED]

Look for [CREATURE:GOBLIN]
just below it, add
[CRAZED]

Don't do it for the [CREATURE:DWARF] or it will prevent your to play in Fortress mode (the game would end into your fort being considered destroyed as soon as you embark)

Generate a new world (will not work on alreadt generated worlds, though you may want to try to edit the creature_standard.txt located in your \df_42_06_win\data\save\regionX\raw\ folder to see if it can work on an existing world)

Now in adventure mode, when you play as an adventurer, go visit a site of a different specie (out of dwarves, they'll just continue to be welcoming), then you'll see how fun it can be to feel that welcomed :)
Though i suggest to bring your whole party.
'
haha that would be a recipe for fun.
however.
It was fixed by simply generating a new world.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:03:50 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!