Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange engravings...  (Read 1042 times)

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange engravings...
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

My legendary engraver is producing lots of masterful engravings of withering platinum flasks, among other things. How does metal wither? Does it imply of me not using my legendary platinum flask, what do you think? Or is this just program fitting words together without realizing their meaning?

-Matias

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Strange engravings...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

Usually (I think), "withering" in engravings means that something has been in a lot of lava lately (literally). For instance, if you use a magma flood defense, you may see engravings of dwarves or goblins withering.

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

I have seen pictures of dwarf burning (my metalsmith was pushed to lava river when my cave collapsed) and melting (same thing?). Only other things that withers in pictures of my current fortress are demons and my dwarves haven't seen any of those, yet.

-Matias

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:52:00 am »

You should check to make sure you didn't accidently lose that artifact somehow. I've had dwarves with artifacts swept away in the seasonal floods, and then engravers make engravings of that artifact withering.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

an artifact withering means it was lost, there are just no specific engravings for it yet so it defaults to withering.

Engravings of demons are fairly common with high level engravers before you have any real history to engrave. If you read it in adventure mode it explains it is the endgame demon being chained in a time before time, or somesuch.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

I got an engraving of a burning goblin once.

I never have touched magma let alone used it for burning goblins, but then I remembered what it was.

This fortress has an arena. I once matched up a goblin thief with about 4 ratmen and a couple fire imps. A fire imp toasted the goblin no problem. Sadly, it's my only engraving pertaining to my arena fights at all, and I had about 5 matches at the time of the engraving.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

The fruity plains of savages
This is an exeptionaly yadda yadda yadda...
On the image there is a dog and a tentacle demon. The dog is making a terryfing gesture. The tentacle demon is smeared out in a spiral.

Cerebus ftw.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

No comment.