Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil biomes completely screwed up  (Read 1813 times)

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
Evil biomes completely screwed up
« on: April 12, 2016, 07:44:17 pm »

I've been playing this game for about 2 years.

Ever since I began playing I've noticed a rather gamebreaking bug where evil biomes are incredibly easy to embark on. Everything is broken after embark and only the evil rain works.

I made a bug report on Mantis a year or two ago, but there were never any replies. I can't pull it up as it is now buried deep in the grey matter of countless plebs begging for help with keybinds, but I'll mail a frigging cookie to your address if you can pull it up.

After having my bug report ignored, I thought I'd try to troubleshoot while I waited for the replies that never came. I uninstalled and reinstalled, screwed around with my config files, tried on another OS, tried on another computer, tried generating a fuckload of worlds hoping just one might work fine, tried banging my head against the wall and tried waiting for the next version.

None of the above attempts did anything but give me a headache. I've given up and I need help from the Bay community.

I can and will generate a sample save on request.

Thanks in advance.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biomes completely screwed up
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:30:09 pm »

Can you be more specific when you say "broken"?

What part isn't working? I myself have seen clouds, rain, reanimating biomes, evil creatures, etc frequently since .34.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sivistojko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »

What part isn't working? I myself have seen clouds, rain, reanimating biomes, evil creatures, etc frequently since .34.

I guess he means that evil biomes are easy to live in as in theory they should be a nightmare. I personally embarked on a 3x3 area where 2x3 are untamed wilds and 1x3 is terrifying. On the terrifying part there are only clouds frequently, one occasional flying undead creature, and finally I had once an attack from Dark Gnomes (yes dark Gnomes!!) for the first time in my DF experience. On the untamed wilds part, I never had any dangerous animal, beside a couple of peaceful giraffes and hogs. The only reason why I looked for untamed wilds in the first place was giant animals, but never saw any...

So this is all regarding the evilness of evil biomes:P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:19:27 pm by sivistojko »

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:45:35 am »

I've resorted to using DFHack to add evil creature populations (e.g. 10000 foul blendecs) to terrifying regions before embark.
I've found no reliable way to ensure undead populations, though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:05:33 pm »

See now, I have not had these problems. Keep in mind that evil characteristics are randomized. Unless you have a reanimating biome, you may not get any undead. In my experience, a reanimating biome is the rarest.

To be honest, every single possible challenge in the game has been publicly defeated at this time. We have hell colonies in reanimating biomes, how difficult could we expect a simple surface-side evil biome to be? I recently ran a game that had savage wilds, joyous wilds, and a terrifying reanimating volcano. I lost because I accidentally caused a cave-in.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:33:42 pm »

Make sure you embark on terrifying biomes. If I remember right, the low savagery evil biomes don't get the fun clouds. Perhaps that was just a coincidence, but I seem to remember it being this way on my evil embarks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:40 pm »

Yeah, the most I ever see from the sinister biomes (the lowest grade) is some evil animals like Blizzard Men or what-have-you.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 06:14:14 pm »

Sorry for the late reply.

Unless you have a reanimating biome, you may not get any undead. In my experience, a reanimating biome is the rarest.

According to the wiki, reanimating biomes occur every other evil embark on average. I have never embarked on a biome that actually reanimated the dead. Whether it was generated as such, I'm not sure, but they seem to be very broken to me.

I am not getting evil/good plants (no sun berries ;-;) but trees and grasses work fine. Rain works okay, but that's about it. It was worse back in '13/14, savage animals never spawned. I have never once seen an aardvark woman or the like spawn on the surface in DF, but I've encountered their underground equivalent in abundance upon breaching the caverns.

Make sure you embark on terrifying biomes. If I remember right, the low savagery evil biomes don't get the fun clouds. Perhaps that was just a coincidence, but I seem to remember it being this way on my evil embarks.

I embark frequently on Terrifying biomes. I do get weird clouds and rain, but I have never once seen any really dangerous, "evil" creatures aside from the underground ones.

I guess he means that evil biomes are easy to live in as in theory they should be a nightmare. I personally embarked on a 3x3 area where 2x3 are untamed wilds and 1x3 is terrifying. On the terrifying part there are only clouds frequently, one occasional flying undead creature, and finally I had once an attack from Dark Gnomes (yes dark Gnomes!!) for the first time in my DF experience. On the untamed wilds part, I never had any dangerous animal, beside a couple of peaceful giraffes and hogs. The only reason why I looked for untamed wilds in the first place was giant animals, but never saw any...

So this is all regarding the evilness of evil biomes:P

Thanks for clarifying when I wasn't able to! I apologize for not elaborating in my first post.

I'm really disappointed with savage, good and evil biomes, they're all incredibly easy to embark on and I can easily live out of the embark wagon for years if I gather food or hunt the non-evil animals wandering around.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:01 pm »

Sweet, I finally got my first evil biome working!

Actually, um.

It worked a bit too well. After I slaughtered a horse for food, all of my dwarves were killed by a reanimated horse skin.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 12:14:42 am »

*facepalm*

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 04:12:23 am »

It seems sun berries only grow near (fresh?) water (based on my experience), like fisher berries, so if there's no surface water I don't think there's any chance to get them, as elven caravans don't bring berries of any kind, and I've never seen the other caravans bring them.

And congratulation on finding a reanimating evil biome.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »

If you embark on a terrifying re-animating biome, giant cardinal corpses or what have you will constantly kill all civilians above ground, and troglodyte corpses (after being killed by whatever) will kill all of the citizens in the caverns. The only thing easy about it is that stress is pretty broken and my dwarves don't seem upset that all of their friends and family have been killed, reanimated, and killed again or that they've all been attacked by the dead several times each year. I don't think I've seen a single tantrum yet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:38:14 pm »

I don't think one is ACTUALLY rarer, to be honest. There's probably an equal chance of any and all evil characteristics (depending on how evil the place is) and it differs from one person's experience to the next.

Have you seen a husk cloud yet? IMO those are the worst.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »

Some biomes are still definitely a little too 'calm', but it's a step up from what it was (for me) years ago.

It seems sun berries only grow near (fresh?) water (based on my experience), like fisher berries, so if there's no surface water I don't think there's any chance to get them, as elven caravans don't bring berries of any kind, and I've never seen the other caravans bring them.

And congratulation on finding a reanimating evil biome.

I have never once seen a sun berry, yet I've seen metric fucktons of fisher berries on good embarks.

Watch as I manage to find a sun berry 2 minutes after making this post. Gah, I should have done more testing earlier...