Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma  (Read 1134 times)

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
Miasma
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

I don't fully understand the effects of miasma.  I mean, I know if a dwarf goes into it, he gets an unhappy thought, but does it have any other effects?  I might be just imagining it, but it seems to slow down my dwarves when they go into a miasma square (or one blows over them).

I was thinking of making a miasma trap for goblin sieges, where I put my grody-rotting-stuff stockpile underground one z-level and then punch a couple of pinhole channels into the ceiling and into the stockpile so that whatever's in there creates miasmas all the time.  I could cover any pinholes with floodgates and link them to a lever, pretty much enabling me to crank out a purple cloud at the flick of a switch.

But again, I'm not sure if it would screw up the goblins' visibility or anything like that.  If it at least checked the goblins, it might create a good window for some marksdwarves to go out there and turn them into sock monkeys.

Is there anybody with a thorough understanding of miasma that could tell me whether this might be viable?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

No, all it does is create unhappy thoughts.  You could create a "miasma trap" but it would have no effect whatsoever on the goblins.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

That's a pity.  It would look so colorful, too.   :(

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

Evil creatures actually thrive on Miasma.  Exposing them to it is designed to confer temporary bonuses to them in combat, but I haven't tested it yet.  Please let me know what your results are.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

if maisma gives bonusses to evil, does good get better from mist?
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Hey, does that mean that miasma is much more debilitating to good creatures, such as the dreaded unicorn?  I have a friend who has had unicorn problems, and this might help him.

Regardless, now I have to try it and see how it effects kobolds/goblins.  I'll get back to the forum when I have something.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Not if it's a miasma mist caused by pets suddenly colliding with an object!  

But that doesn't happen.  I did read that, In Real Life, lots of people at a swine slaughterhouse came down with all sorts of neurological problems from inhaling the mist of pig brain vapor when they blasted the brains out with water through a hole in the hog's head.

What a great way to go!

igless

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Evil creatures actually thrive on Miasma.  Exposing them to it is designed to confer temporary bonuses to them in combat, but I haven't tested it yet.  Please let me know what your results are.</STRONG>

Another Clone!  Run!

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

Another Clone!  Run!</STRONG>

I think that might have been the real one.

Edit: Or not!  False idol!  FALSE IDOL!

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Well that fortress in the sinister jungle was irritating me anyway.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Edit: Or not!  False idol!  FALSE IDOL!
[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]</STRONG>

I'm humbled by the real moderator's messaging editing powers.  I guess I'll stop mucking about with my display name now ;P