Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 38294 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 552: Microsoft VR Dev Kits on sale
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:35 pm »

Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades is doing a lot in VR right now. The dev is very very active and the game keeps getting bigger. There's already a (admittedly fiddly) procedural roguelike mode, several shooting ranges/games, and a more non-linear wild west style adventure mode. It's well worth keeping an eye on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:18 pm »

Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades is doing a lot in VR right now. The dev is very very active and the game keeps getting bigger. There's already a (admittedly fiddly) procedural roguelike mode, several shooting ranges/games, and a more non-linear wild west style adventure mode. It's well worth keeping an eye on.

I remember watching that guy's early dev videos.  I think it was before the consumer releases of the Rift & Vive.  Wanted to cry, because his exploration of unique game mechanics was so amazing and I knew I would be missing out for a long time.

Will probably be the next VR game I buy, as soon as I'm able.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2017, 05:25:06 pm »

VR ruined games for me. Now it's the only way I can aim comfortably and accurately, and most old style games make you stand in a hall of bullets if you want a clear shot at the enemy.

Now I just want an open world VR game that solves long distance travel.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2017, 06:30:17 pm »

Microsoft's Windows 10 'Fall Creators' update is scheduled for October 17th. First of all, terrible name for an OS update. Please take a hint from Android and start naming your updates after types of candy.

Anyway, Microsoft is pushing the VR thing with this update. They seem to have put aside their transparent VR visor in favor of the more commonly accepted full-immersion setup, and they've convinced Acer, Dell, HP, and Lenovo to each make their own clones of the Oculus and Vive, with absolutely no iteration of technology or difference in price. They're also promoting all of the exact same VR games currently available from the Steam library, advertising that they will now be available through Windows 10...by using Steam...so...yeah.

In other news, Playstation VR is getting a hardware update. It's only small changes, including the headphones becoming integrated with the headset rather than the old system of separate earbuds, and something about HDR passthrough that sounds like it might be slightly more convenient for whoever uses that type of thing. Price point for the newer hardware will remain the same.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2017, 05:07:38 pm »

Oculus announces new all-in-one VR device, Oculus Go

Coming early next year, starting at $200. No wires, no phones, 'dramatically improved' LCD screen and 'next generation' lenses, integrated speakers, software is binary-compatible with Gear VR. I was quite interested up until that last part. It's a new platform for phone-quality games and apps...meh.

Also, they're making a new controller I guess.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »

Without following the link, that really sounds like Facebook's ownership influence in action.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2017, 10:26:32 am »

It seems almost 100% destined to fail - I really can't see the market for it at all and I'm amazed they think there is. If you can put down that much on a stand alone device, why not just buy a phone that can run gear vr and have more functionality? You're not talking about much more really.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:33 pm »

not realy payed attention to this thread as im not to exited about this whole vr thing.

but in case you have not mentioned this yet, space pirates and zombies 2 apparently is one of the few realy good vr games right now.
tho it was not designed for vr in the first place, it does have a vr mode and what dudes say on the forums its funs. so you might want to check it out.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »

It seems almost 100% destined to fail - I really can't see the market for it at all and I'm amazed they think there is. If you can put down that much on a stand alone device, why not just buy a phone that can run gear vr and have more functionality? You're not talking about much more really.

Most of the Samsung phone's I've looked at cost 3-4x more than the proposed price for this device...though I probably have not seen them all.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2017, 01:25:35 am »

Space Pirate Trainer came out with its 1.0 release today.  It's a big one.  There's a lot more variety to the game now.  It has a mothership boss battle that is ridiculous.  Plays out in several stages.  Played an hour tonight, and haven't beat it yet.  They also wiped the scoreboard.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2017, 02:24:05 am »

Most of the Samsung phone's I've looked at cost 3-4x more than the proposed price for this device...though I probably have not seen them all.

You can buy a Samsung s6 for about £150-£200; it's still a jump in price, but not by much (especially considering you get a fully functional (good) phone with that).

I guess my point is,  If you've got enough to splash on a standalone VR device, I imagine you have enough to have a good phone that can do it built in
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2017, 04:03:20 am »

Oculus Go To The Polls

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »

Payday 2's VR mode is released in beta today.  Pretty excited.  Downloading it now.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2017, 01:04:26 am »

Just tried Payday 2 VR for the first time.  The performance is really good.  The interface is decent.  Some minor things take some getting used to, but I had mostly gotten over them after about an hour.

The gunplay needs a lot of work.  Aiming is really hard.  They take the approach where you need to grip the gun with both hands to be very accurate.  In practice, aiming down sights just doesn't feel natural in VR, and trying to aim without sights while holding an intangible gun with two hands is much more awkward than just pointing one hand in a direction and firing.

Everybody who tries to do FPS in VR needs to take some lessons from Space Pirate Trainer.  Somehow, aiming feels really, really natural in that game.  I can shoot down drones at a ridiculous distance while hardly missing, and it feels effortless.  And it doesn't even give you any sort of aim assistance.  I know it has the laser sights, but that can't fully account for how much better the gunplay feels than any other VR game I've played.

And it's merciless.  They throw just as many hordes of police at you as the vanilla game does.  More, even.  It's fun to punch them by actually making a punching motion.

It's only like day 3 of the beta release, so I'm sure it will get better.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2017, 06:13:10 am »

So... After being hype for VR for literally years, a combination of black friday week, generous friends pitching in for christmas, and temporary insanity have led to me having both a PSVR and Lenovo Explorer WMR headset (plus controllers etc.) creeping slowly towards my address. Holy shit.

Apparently the only VR compatible game I own on PC so far is Subnautica (has anyone tried this?), and RE7 for PS4. I'm also looking at Rec Room which is free and should work on both.

Besides that, does anyone have any must-try recommendations for either platform, for someone new to VR?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18