Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 38606 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 552: Microsoft VR Dev Kits on sale
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2017, 10:11:58 am »

So... After being hype for VR for literally years, a combination of black friday week, generous friends pitching in for christmas, and temporary insanity have led to me having both a PSVR and Lenovo Explorer WMR headset (plus controllers etc.) creeping slowly towards my address. Holy shit.

Apparently the only VR compatible game I own on PC so far is Subnautica (has anyone tried this?), and RE7 for PS4. I'm also looking at Rec Room which is free and should work on both.

Besides that, does anyone have any must-try recommendations for either platform, for someone new to VR?
Not sure if you mean tried it in VR specifically, but Subnautica is amazing and the content of it is very well suited. I have a feeling you may encounter bugs on Microsoft vr though, just since it's new.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2017, 10:48:44 am »

So... After being hype for VR for literally years, a combination of black friday week, generous friends pitching in for christmas, and temporary insanity have led to me having both a PSVR and Lenovo Explorer WMR headset (plus controllers etc.) creeping slowly towards my address. Holy shit.

Apparently the only VR compatible game I own on PC so far is Subnautica (has anyone tried this?), and RE7 for PS4. I'm also looking at Rec Room which is free and should work on both.

Besides that, does anyone have any must-try recommendations for either platform, for someone new to VR?

The 'demo disk (2)' can be downloaded free from the PS store and gives a good impression of many of the games.
So I recommend trying out games with it before buying, and it's a nice way to give friends (and yourself) an impression of what VR can do.  :)

As for 'must have', ... no  :( There are many good VR games already, but despite having the full VR set, then I found myself playing 'the Surge' and 'Dragons Dogma' again this weekend.
(The game changer could be 'Dreams' from Media Molekyle. The technologi for Skyrim VR is getting good reviews, but it's just a game I've already played to death.)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2017, 11:56:21 am »

The holiday price for PSVR is $300, for the bundle with headset+camera+wands.
Oculus Rift is down to $350, also including headset+sensors+controllers.
I've not seen any discounts for HTC Vive this season.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2017, 06:15:30 pm »

I just got "I Expect You to Die", which is actually really fun. I have it for my PC but I believe it's on PSVR as well. Also fun is SUPERHOT VR.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2017, 06:42:43 am »

The holiday price for PSVR is $300, for the bundle with headset+camera+wands.
Oculus Rift is down to $350, also including headset+sensors+controllers.
I've not seen any discounts for HTC Vive this season.

There's a bundle available from the Viveport website with the Vive, the audio strap, Doom VR and Fallout 4 VR, a Viveport sub for a month, all for £599 in the UK and $599 in the US... which is a really depressing conversion rate.

I have a Vive but it doesn't get much use. I'll break it out more as the weather gets colder but I'm really waiting for an affordable wireless headset to come out, assuming VR gets a second wind. I actually use my phone + Daydream headset much more than the Vive, just because it's so much more convenient.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2017, 01:21:50 am »

Probably getting a deluxe audio strap for mine for Christmas... minor convenience upgrade.  TPCast is still too much.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:38 pm »

Just noticed that Doom VFR releases today.  I have a sudden urgent need for $30.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2017, 09:39:03 am »

Just noticed that Doom VFR releases today.  I have a sudden urgent need for $30.

Played about fifteen-twenty minutes last night. It's very good. Smooth, exciting, and very pretty. The scale feels pretty perfect and the atmosphere is, of course, spot on. Interestingly, you play as a voiced character, which is a strange choice when Doom Slayer was unvoiced but hey.

Only thing was that the guns seems to be angled strangely such that it felt like you had to hold them at a weird angle. There might be an option for that, though.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2017, 02:12:10 am »

Anyone have any info how good/bad VR 2.0 2 II Box are?
I ordered ones just for testing purposes and curious how cheap VR goggles really work on phone.
Maybe in future get ones for PC and dive in serious stuff on VR technology heh.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2017, 02:16:31 am »

I've tried out the VR box 2, and have a slightly different cheap plastic headset.

They're decent, and comfortable, but you need to get a bluetooth controller for them, and set it to mouse mode, because there's no inbuild clicker.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2017, 03:19:06 am »

I think the order has controller included.
Well, cheap tryout for 14€ hehe

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2017, 07:52:50 am »

One notable issue with the one I have is it has a very narrow field of view, which also makes the pixels smaller.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »

Just bought it off Amazon UK. £12 and when I went to checkout I got another £2 knocked off - for reasons I am not clear on but I'm not about to argue about it. Possibly because I have Prime. So basically half price compared to the price on Steam. Just a Steam code, obviously, it'll not actually install from the disc. As if. Pfft. Remember THOSE days?

I watched Ian Higton played it for Eurogamer on Youtube and it looked like a lot of fun. He WAS playing it on PSVR though. I'm hoping the bugginess on PC that's being complained about on Steam isn't going to affect me.

EDIT: Yeah, got the extra two quid off as a Prime special. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:49:35 pm by frightlever »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 26, 2017, 03:04:17 am »

Got a Deluxe Audio Strap for Christmas.  Not sure if I like it....  It's nice not to have worry about the earbud cords tangling up and pulling on my ears, the fitting is easier, and the whole unit does sit more solidly on my head.  But the built-in on-ear headphones hurt my ears after a while.  That's probably just me, though.  I've always found headphones that sit on my ears to get painful after half an hour or so, no matter how light and soft they are.  Others don't seem to have that problem.  I also wish I could get them a little louder.

I also got some steam gift cards and got Gorn.  It's a fucking blast.

Oh umm... I also punched my wall.  Thankfully no damage to anything, but it was quite a shock.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:20:20 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2017, 01:06:41 pm »

Got Vanishing Realms and I Expect You To Die.

I highly recommend both, although IEYTD is looking a little old with its stationary perspective. Vanishing Realms is spectacular*.

Also got a third sensor for my occulus. I was skeptical that it would be a big improvement but it's actually a massive change. Dramatically improved sensor performance, and the fact that I no longer need to keep part of my mind focused on my real-world direction means that it's easier to get lost in VR.

*OK I have to update this, Vanishing Realms is incredibly short. If it was as large and developed as it appeared at first, it'd be great. Currently you can finish it in two days.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:08:15 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18