Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 38646 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day N: the saga continues
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2018, 12:15:45 pm »

-snip-

I honestly don't get what point you're making and some of the things you're saying don't make a great deal of sense I'm afraid. It's almost impossible to do any long distance or difficult trek/mountain/whatever without a map - I don't know anyone who can do that and end up where they need to be. You were saying that we can just use smartphones instead of a dedicated camera, but then that you use a dedicated camera to sell your photos. I really don't get the point that you're trying to make with all this?

Also, to address a specific point though just to be clear:
First of all, home isn't where you need to get to unless you're so close enough that you should know the place...
When I meant 'home' I meant as in 'away from trouble' as in 'I need to get back to somewhere safe'. Not home as in my literal house that I live in.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2018, 12:39:34 pm »

Got Pavlov in the sale, it seems to be just a way worse Onwards, with both the mechanics and the people playing it being worse.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2018, 01:33:31 pm »

-snip-

I honestly don't get what point you're making and some of the things you're saying don't make a great deal of sense I'm afraid. It's almost impossible to do any long distance or difficult trek/mountain/whatever without a map - I don't know anyone who can do that and end up where they need to be. You were saying that we can just use smartphones instead of a dedicated camera, but then that you use a dedicated camera to sell your photos. I really don't get the point that you're trying to make with all this?
I mean me neither at this point, I wasn't really trying to play debate club to begin with. I reckon it's still an interesting conversation topic, albeit maybe not one relevant to the thread.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2018, 10:55:52 am »

Just to make it clear.
Yes, the Alps are pretty tame in general, if you stick to the more popular areas in summer.
Not so much if you start exploring the more secluded areas in winter.

I never rely on my GPS to do anything. There's always a 1:25000 map of the area in my pack. The GPS is there just in case. Mostly I use it if I find a nice track in summer and want to sky it in winter, months or years later.
Once I had to stay overnight with an injured guy and the GPS has been crucial to go where the rescuers wanted me to meet them. Phone in that scenario? Unreliable piece of plastic wich would have been out of battery in minutes.
Never had a problem in the Alps myself. But I usually go alone and if something goes wrong, everything must be working properly, including the GPS. Granted, my phone is mid-to-low level, but for the price of a top-tier rugged smartphone, I'd buy a high quality GPS and spend the considerable amount left on something else.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2018, 03:04:53 pm »

That's the crux of it: the dedicated device is almost always going to be better than all but the highest-end multi-purpose device, and even then the high-end multi-purpose device will only match some of the dedicated devices it mimics, not all of them. You'll almost always get better price and performance from even a mid-range dedicated device plus a cheapo multi-purpose one than just a high-end multi-purpose device, and it seems like naive techno-futurist evangelism to assume that's no longer true. Yes, we can get to the point where multi-purpose devices are "good enough" to supplant dedicated devices for even advanced users, but the examples discussed above don't give any reason to believe we're there yet for those particular cases - nor that it's "just around the corner".

(And yes, that's before considering the likelihood that the generalist device will have power consumption issues compared to one that's not doing 10 or 20 superfluous functions at any given moment.)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2019, 06:34:47 pm »

Valve has announced Half-Life: Alyx.

This is the day of prophecies. I recall at one time predicting that VR awaited a transformative gaming title that would make it the next CD-rom, and I also remember a time when it seemed clear that the only way to make the next Half-life game be good enough to match up to its predecessors would be to make it revolutionize VR the same way HL revolutionized FPSes and HL2 revolutionized distribution.

So it once was said, so it shall be.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2019, 07:42:43 pm »

Makes me wonder how many of the people who worked on the first two games are even still there.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2019, 08:53:46 pm »

I mean people who worked on HL1 in their 40s are in their 60s now.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2019, 07:04:25 pm »

Some discussion going on here involving the developers.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2020, 10:47:24 am »

Arise, for yesterday was a happy day for PSVR, as the long waited update for DREAMS came up with full VR support.

I was already fully in love with Dreams for it's creation tools, and now I can make sculptures and worlds in full 3D, - in a sense even better than in real life, as I can change the scale completely. E.g. yesterday I sculpted the ear-hole of an orc, - while standing inside it. :-)
But just watching your own and other people's stuff in 3D is amazing, so I can now actually recommend that PSVR owners buy Dreams just for access to what other makes. (But you would be missing out if you don't at least give the creative tools a try).

I found this youtube that tries to give an impression of how it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjvt6K5Qx4
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2020, 11:09:02 am »

Everybody go and play Moss, it's great.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2021, 04:37:36 pm »

Raising this thread again.

I've got what I think most of the setup problems with my Vive Pro worked out. I'm still having difficulties using the controllers, mainly because whoever designed them needs to be smacked over the head with one and then sent to a course on ergonomics. Not gonna lie, if I had access to a 3d printer, I might be able to design an extended grip button to attach to the side of the controller to make to make using the default grip buttons tolerable. If and when the bones of my hands deform themselves to the point that I can easily press and hold the grip buttons, I have to set every game to toggle grip, and that just breaks immersion.

Another issue I have with the controller is the trackpads. It is far too easy to accidentally trigger motion on them, which can cause unnecessary moovement or spinning, which both messes up what I was doing and can cause motion sickness. I've found out how to mitigate this some by setting a deadzone on the trackpads, but I have to do this manually for every trackpad operation for every single game. There's also options for Max Zone Percentage and Curve Exponent, but I have no idea what they do and the tooltips for them are literally placeholders.

One more issue is that the right controller will occasionally lose tracking and it's virtual counterpart will yeet off somewhere. As far as I can tell this is probably because one of the base stations loses tracking(even though this happens literally right in front of the other station) and something to do with my play area configuration.

EDIT: I've figured out the issue with my controller losing tracking; there's a mirror in my room just to the right of my standing area that's interfering with the tracking laser. I have to cover it every time I try to use VR. Odd how that never seems to have messed with the Rift S's tracking.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:26:42 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2021, 05:46:00 pm »

Yeah the base stations can run into problems from shiny metallic things let alone mirrors.

I'm kinda curious if there are many people on this forum that play vr still? (besides me and akura?)

Numbers of VR users are climbing pretty fast, so even if its not mainstream its slowly getting big enough to support bigger(needing more money) games.
(
PCVR and Quest 2 being the biggest growers.
Theres even some vr mmo called zenith going into early access/alpha/whatever coming out (it doesn't look that amazing to me, but i may try it)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2021, 04:34:26 pm »

I'm kinda curious if there are many people on this forum that play vr still? (besides me and akura?)

I still play. Generally just to work through my collection of VR stealth games (Budget Cuts and Espire mostly). Waiting on the "next HL:Alyx", be it by Valve or someone else.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18