Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 38563 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2021, 05:34:44 am »

It may be puerile, but I'm mildly disappointed that this thread blew right past Day 1337 without comment, straight onto 1,811 days and beyond. :(
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2021, 04:49:54 pm »

IronWolf VR is a really fun time as long as you have a couple friends who also have vr to play it with. (you could technically play it alone or with one friend but i'd only recommend it at 3-4 players)
just blew like 6-7hours in it, basically think silent hunter, but in vr coop (or bridge crew, or pulsar). Basically you go around the old-war-time seas  torpedo-ing merchant ships, frigates and destroyers, and occasionly shooting down fighters/bombers with your 2 deck machine guns (you have one big deck gun that you can use anti-ship but GL using it against anything but merchant ships without dieing).
Anyone can do anyjob at any time, except the captain is the only person who can buy upgrades for the ship in dock, some of which you have to manually install like batteries and adapters n stuff.. (you could hotswap one of your 8 batteries while in transit i guess, no idea how well that works).
The basic job/rooms are:
Sensor/captain (controlling a tactical map(blips from hydrophone and spotted by periscope), fast-travel, the hydrophone(passive sound sensor), Record Player (classy), periscope, torpedo tracking (and some manual remote-radio controls that let you turn them a few degrees while in water).
Engineering (Load-balancing and turning on/off literally everything in the ship, replacing fuses when blown, controlling the diesel/electric engines / cooling, air compressor, snorkel(for diesel engine and air-intake at periscope depth), actual propeller speed/direction control.
Helm (Tactical map, terrain-map(uh.. not that useful cause you also have a depth under heel sensor), Controlling the rudder(manual or automatically if you use power for it), hydropaning(vertical angle), ballast(via limited compressed air + water intake that you juggle to balance), you also have request-propeller speed thing.
Torpedo guy (basically pull the torpedos into the tubes, lock em, fill em with water/air), Manual torpedo launch(sensor/captain room has a launch when locked). Probly the least exciting job.
Theres also a couple welders for leaks on the ship, as well as some air-rebreathers but if you get to the point you need those air-rebreathers your likely going to die. Seems like there are more leaks(from being hit/crush damage) in helm(front)/sensor(midship), so they also have to deal with welding them (although maybe torpedo guy should be on that if you have one). Theres also manual pumps you can pump to drain a room.
Any position you don't have you can turn on automatic.

Anyway, its a good time if you want to coop-crew something with friends.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2021, 07:03:46 pm »

One of my Vive controllers just stopped working. First, it stopped tracking - the system detected it but said the basestations couldn't see it. After a few exits and restarts of SteamVR, it now doesn't even register at all. It turns on, still.

From what I've already searched, it might be a loose cable inside the controller, that may or may not require a screwdriver that I don't have to access/fix. And even if it did instead require a normal screwdriver, my main screwdriver has been missing for months.

EDIT: Fixed it by re-pairing the controllers. This took some effort because it kept saying both were paired despite the non-functioning one was turned off. A few minutes later, however, the other controller stopped tracking. The good news is, that's not an issue with the cables. The bad news is, I don't really know what the issue is. I think I saw a blurb somewhere that this might be a USB bandwidth issue.

EDIT2: Well, I just saw a random reddit post about someone with a similar problem, which may have been caused by changing the audio settings... in the same way I just changed mine today. My PC wasn't changing audio output between my headphones and the headset automatically, so I went into the SteamVR settings to change the audio output there from "Headset" to "Manual"->the Vive speakers. It's too late now to see if changing it back will fix the controller tracking, I'll check tomorrow.

EDIT3: No, that wasn't the problem. This very frustrating. I did plug both controllers into USB ports to recharge, and they both showed as tracking, though I did not put on the headset to check if I could see them there. Perhaps the batteries were low? If so, that's the first time it's done this even when I've nearly completely depleted the batteries.

EDIT4: And finally, it seems removing the drivers, restarting my PC, and reinstalling the drivers appears to have worked. At least, I had a fairly extended VR session without anything going wrong.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:58:25 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]