Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elephants  (Read 2481 times)

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elephants
« on: March 27, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »

How the hell do elephants kill the demons in my world every time, when the bronze colossi keep getting killed by the demons?!

Are elephants that powerful?! I can't invade any dark fortresses like this!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elephants
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:42:39 pm »

How the hell do elephants kill the demons in my world every time, when the bronze colossi keep getting killed by the demons?!

As far as I can see, everything has a chance of falling in battle somehow (for game world balance issues probably). Whenever something big and fearsome (demon, bronze colossus, etc) are killed in a battle with elves, the game picks the most likely beast to have struck the final blow, which is generally not a wooden spear weilding hippy, but an elephant.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:27:30 am »

You'll also notice that a measly dingo man can hold out for days against a horde of zombies while being looked at on the overworld map. The combat calculator is weird when your adventurer or fort isn't in the area that something is happening.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:14:19 am »

Yeah I think it had to do with the fact that each battle was somehow only simulated as 1 vs 1 or something along those lines. I am probably completely wrong but hey...

Anyway in such battles a single guy can hold out for long and its much more likely that one guy falls to someone of about the same difficulty as opposed to getting swarmed or shot down by loads of marksmen. Elephants are pretty strong one on one.

They are also amazingly good in fort mode if you get breeding going, higher value, can defend themselves well, much meat and pretty docile.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:31:25 am »

As far as I can see, everything has a chance of falling in battle somehow (for game world balance issues probably). Whenever something big and fearsome (demon, bronze colossus, etc) are killed in a battle with elves, the game picks the most likely beast to have struck the final blow, which is generally not a wooden spear weilding hippy, but an elephant.
This pretty much. I've had demons get killed in worldgen by giant snails, of all things.

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:19:55 am »

Worldgen combat is screwy that way.  I'm still sore about my retired adamantine-clad adventurer who was killed by an elf administrator with no combat skills.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 11:54:45 am »

Worldgen combat is screwy that way.  I'm still sore about my retired adamantine-clad adventurer who was killed by an elf administrator with no combat skills.
find that funny as no combat skill characters can still kill anyone with high enough skill if they sneak up behind them.
as stealth gives you a free crit bonus, so all it takes is one good stab in the neck to break the spine and another good hit to end the life.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:09:48 pm »

Yeah I think it had to do with the fact that each battle was somehow only simulated as 1 vs 1 or something along those lines. I am probably completely wrong but hey...

Anyway in such battles a single guy can hold out for long and its much more likely that one guy falls to someone of about the same difficulty as opposed to getting swarmed or shot down by loads of marksmen. Elephants are pretty strong one on one.

They are also amazingly good in fort mode if you get breeding going, higher value, can defend themselves well, much meat and pretty docile.

Toady said in a df talk that "squads" of ten are put up against each other and then it randomly choosen 1 person from the group to fight if that person dies the whole squad dies. Also yes duals 1v1 with hist figs / animals are simulated.albeit kind of badly and randomness heavy.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:40 pm »

find that funny as no combat skill characters can still kill anyone with high enough skill if they sneak up behind them.
as stealth gives you a free crit bonus, so all it takes is one good stab in the neck to break the spine and another good hit to end the life.

It's not entirely unrealistic, don't get me wrong.  But it's rather disappointing to find out your adventurer died an ignoble death in the six months of game time you weren't controlling them.

I did manage to track the elf down with another adventurer though.  It took quite some time as the forest haven he lived in didn't show up as elven territory; it had long ago fallen under human control.  The inexperienced spearman, guided halfway across the world by an unknown force with a thirst for vengeance, casually greeted his target.  The elven administrator freely gave his name and was actually quite cordial, at least until the spearman impaled him and and flung him from the treetops.  The spearman then reclaimed the sole remains of my old adventurer- a dwarf bone ring - from the elf's corpse, as well as the bones of the elf, and returned them to the nearest retired fortress for proper burial/trophy making.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:52:14 pm by Feathermind »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:51:04 pm »

Elephants? I've seen a demon killed  by a camel.

And of course, no discussion of the weirdness of worldgen-combat would be complete without mention of DF's own Animal Farm.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:01 pm »

Elephants? I've seen a demon killed  by a camel.
Can confirm.

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 03:45:45 pm »

There are giant elephants now. They are big.
 I have a similar issue with elephants killing my megabeasts.
 You may have better luck with demon survival with fewer elves and humans; fewer war elephants. This is achievable by lowering instances of plains and forests. That and/or increase instances of notable demons, I do not know how to go about that though; I've never attempted to gen for historical demons and do not know if it is plausible or even possible.
 Other such manipulations can be found in the world gen cookbook and I find advanced world gen is important for getting task specific worlds. +is very fun to cook universes.
 Demon leaders have some very pretty codices. Good trophies.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:25:48 pm »

This pretty much. I've had demons get killed in worldgen by giant snails, of all things.
GIANT SNAIL!!! STROLL FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 11:18:23 pm »