Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Problems with stress and being upset from dealing with people. How do you?  (Read 74309 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with stress and being upset from dealing with people. How do you?
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2019, 08:00:02 pm »

Hey, it's a step forward, right? You seem to be doing pretty well for yourself. Just keep it up and bit by bit it gets a bit easier. I may also have a few tips I might be able to share from my own experience with stress. Would it be alright if I shared a bit?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2019, 10:15:22 am »

Thanks.

I am trying and have been sober almost a year now. I don't exactly like the addiction treatment stuff, but T was right it works. And I don't think I'm being set up to fail at work like last time.

Sure, some tips sound nice. The only part that kinda sucks about getting tips online is that people online can be super mean sometimes. Pretty much read any comments section of anything. But yeah some people here have been nicer than I probably deserve and I am really glad for that.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2019, 12:47:54 pm »

And of course some old "friends" want to go drinking again. Everyone loves peer pressure.

Nope. Got that year chip soon.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2019, 06:33:02 pm »

Ye. No worries here! My goal is just to share a few tricks that I've picked up recently, as somebody who had gone unarmed against anxiety for a long time. I'll go ahead an spoiler it for space's sake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, hey. It takes energy to be nice sometimes. If people are nice, then I think deep down, you've earned a bit of that niceness, and that means you are a cooler dude than you think my man. Might not be always easy to think that, but it's true. Keep up your good work; you'll have that chip here soon before you know it!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2019, 11:37:30 pm »

There are some people who are weirdly not cool with me. I mostly keep to myself and don't cause trouble.

These two things are probably related, depending on the extent you “keep to yourself”. I once had an immediate superior not like me because I didn’t really talk with her, which she apparently took to mean I disliked her as opposed to just being disinterested.

Never underestimate the power of idle conversation. A quick “hello, how are you, lovely/awful weather we’re having” at least makes you seem personable, and is a foundation for further relationship should you do wish it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2019, 12:08:24 pm »

Ye. No worries here! My goal is just to share a few tricks that I've picked up recently, as somebody who had gone unarmed against anxiety for a long time. I'll go ahead an spoiler it for space's sake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, hey. It takes energy to be nice sometimes. If people are nice, then I think deep down, you've earned a bit of that niceness, and that means you are a cooler dude than you think my man. Might not be always easy to think that, but it's true. Keep up your good work; you'll have that chip here soon before you know it!

That's actually pretty helpful and kind of a bit like what T said. One of the difficulties I have is not imagining people out to screw me over sometimes. Not always, but.... It's just that it's happened before..... I tend to get stuck on past issues and fear of their repetition. Bad stuff happened before....

Thank you. It helps. Just.... fruistratingly slowly with my life. T did say it wouldn't be an overnight thing, and it's like a drill bit, little bg little.

There are some people who are weirdly not cool with me. I mostly keep to myself and don't cause trouble.

These two things are probably related, depending on the extent you “keep to yourself”. I once had an immediate superior not like me because I didn’t really talk with her, which she apparently took to mean I disliked her as opposed to just being disinterested.

Never underestimate the power of idle conversation. A quick “hello, how are you, lovely/awful weather we’re having” at least makes you seem personable, and is a foundation for further relationship should you do wish it.

Yeah. I just go for under the radar. I figure if I can just not piss anybody off while being productive I might be ok. I mean you hear stories of people telling an off center joke at work and HR smacking somebody for it. I'd rather not have that happen. I don't think I would be that person. But I have no idea anymore, the HR powerpoint training scares me, and shutting up seems safe?

Maybe very mild small talk might be ok. Nobody can get pissed off at me about the weather. I mean, I didn't do that one.

Another thing is my lack of a life. Other people have one and they talk about it. I don't have other things in my life, or not good ones. T and Tiruin kind of said stuff on this like being polite and asking people to talk about themselves by showing interest and asking about their stuff without being weird. T gave the example of a lady at work whose kid does ballet. Its kind of not earth shattering, but she clearly cares about it and talks about it a lot. So, T seem to listen politely and "gently encourage her" to continue. Like, "I bet that took some doing, or "sounds like your daughter put a lot of work into that," or like, "that sounds competitive." I just have not mastered BSing like that yet, I guess. Knowing my luck, I'd choose the exact wrong thing to say about some coworker's kid and HR would have a fit.
This is harder than I thought.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2019, 10:14:34 am »

In other news, my boss gave me a really good review, like it actually was like a 9.6 /10, and he wrote a narrative quoting good emails about me from other departments that are related. Evidently, that is pretty unheard of for a new person. The only way I could have scored better would be to impossibly have produced more quantity. Speaking of which....

Oddly, there is now an upstream issue where I have had no work for two weeks. This is weird. Boss says he is ok with it, applogized and said to keep good documentation explaining it. I asked him four times so far for status updates. He gives them, but they don't always come through. I know there is tons of stuff but has to be processed before it gets to me so I can do my thing with it. I understand there is also a new person in the upstream position and others are also having issues. Further, boss has sort of hinted at this in a meeting with everyone present. As long as he is ok..... Still a part of me wonders a lot, and I don't mind being busy.

I worry. I am doing some minor stuff or I guess admin stuff until then. Boss has said it isn't my fault and we're good but still.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:27:01 am by Robot Parade Leader »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2019, 05:16:24 pm »

I don't know if this applies to you, but a lot of companies have a bunch of dormant internal projects that people work on occasionally during slow times. Maybe work with your boss to see if you could help out on any of them?

Alternatively, if there is literature or training regarding your position, or ways you could improve your workflow, work on those.

Please note that I am assuming that having no work means having to sit idle.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2019, 11:05:23 am »

Yeah. T also suggested reading "the trade papers" which seem to be websites devoted to the industry. She was also saying I should a.) research these, b.) read up on them a lot, and c.) ask my boss if any are recommended while mentioning some of the ones I found. She said something about strategic goals with this.

But yeah, also going through training and paperwork etc.

Weird.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:25 pm »

Another conversation with boss. He appologized, reassigned the bottleneck work, and told me to go to lunch long.

I followed T's advice and tried to make his job easier and run some documentation for why my productivity is out that makes everyone look ok. And the higher ups should be alright with it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2019, 07:25:56 pm »

Another conversation with boss. He appologized, reassigned the bottleneck work, and told me to go to lunch long.

I followed T's advice and tried to make his job easier and run some documentation for why my productivity is out that makes everyone look ok. And the higher ups should be alright with it.
Sounds like you're doing well with it! Providing documentation for your work or lack thereof is helpful to all.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I guess. I dunno. It just seems incredibly weird that I am putting in writting that for whatever reason I was unproductive, even if totally not my fault. I am having difficulty shaking the thought I shouldn't. I know it is cya, but it feels wrong.

New development my supervisor is switchjng to another newly promoted person. Old supervisor is promoted to new supervisor's boss..... I like old supervisor. I think new supervisor will be ok.  and they are working on transition. It just is a big thing. It is an adjustment. I really wish things would stay still to let me catch up with life, but yeah....

There is some worry there.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The whole production slump thing is starting to lift a bit. So that's good. New supervisor likes me, and leaves me alone mostly. He suggested I apply for promotion, so I did. There are people gunning for that who have been there a long time. I can't know if I will get it or even an interview but its not bad he said to apply.

I've been basically following T's advice and some others here too I guess about NOT being the problem he has to worry about. The whole "come in early, leave late, work your ass off, be helpful and don't complain," thing from T, seems to be doing ok. The stuff about internal projects didn't seem to hit but o well. I guess he is happy he does not have to fix my screw ups, "So I can fix the other screw ups."

Some of my coworkers might not be happy about it. No idea what to make of that mess, so I'm thinking I just avoid the hell out of it.

So far the documenting lack of work stuff hasn't come up yet. One of the high up regional executives made specific note of it and ordered more stuff for us to work on and was a little upset about it but I think he didn't seem mad at us about it. Its possible he knows there wasn't shit we could do about it.

Same problems as before, but I guess I'm dealing with them better than before. Things are still fucked up, but they aren't getting worse, maybe a little better. Psychological stuff is there, although I'm still sober, that's hard. Low energy but seemingly working it somehow?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How is your sleep schedule? Personal health? Just throwing ideas about per low energy.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sleep has been crap for a while, but I have been trying to fix that, as much as I can. Without picking an old wound more than needed, part of the whole thing T helped me with getting out of that toxic hell of a job with corrupt manager, meant getting a new job. I got away from her and the whole thing and into a better place. I am very grateful to Tiruin and especially T for the help with that.

Part of leaving was going to work farther away, so I have to drive further though. That means more time driving and less everything elseing like sleep. Sooooo there's that....

Also, the place I am at is expanding, bht some coworkers are hopefully joking about a reduction in force. I think they're teasing, on account of how hard work was to get for a while there. I wrote about it here too. They even said if that happens it would be a couple years out and by then I should be safe. Still it shook me a lot. It took me a lot to get this job, and I am again grateful for the help cause I didn't do it alone, but yeah. The idea scared the hell out of me. Also they razed me about applying for promotion when my supervisor told me to....

I am safe, productive and liked. My supervisor's boss called me a blessing, cause he never has to worry about me. I know I am ok, but mentally it jarred me. You can't expand and double in size whilw hiring like hell and lay off in a union shop lile that. No idea why it shook me like that. Also honestly, that was not the nicest thing for them to do.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17