Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Problems with stress and being upset from dealing with people. How do you?  (Read 74318 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Imagine they're screaming at someone over your shoulder?  Because they kind of are, they're taking out their rage at the company on a convenient target.  Which sucks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:18:18 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Had to explain problem first; now, a little more solution.

You perhaps see the sea you drown in now. See the water to swim in and above it. As stated, condition yourself as preparation to improve results.

The conditioning and preparation help you deal with being unjustly screamed at, as does understanding the situation.... When screamed at, the general sense of calm created by conditioning helps as a better baseline. Understanding the situation helps you adapt to it.

Example: Rude as hell customer has a problem. Sadly, your job means you are the target of their rage.

Behaviorally, obviously remain outwardly calm. Never let them see you sweat (99% of the time). Distill their bullshit complaints down to easy to understand bullet-points. That way you can devote minimal resources to remembering them and the details behind them. This will allow you to do what you have to in order to avoid negative consequences to you.

Mentally, remembering those bullet-points, imagine yourself in a better place (happy place?), where you are not in this bind. Rather you're basically manipulating your own emotional state, which is hard but possible and advantageous. Actually TheBiggerFish wasn't too far off with imagining they're screaming at someone behind you.

Emotionally, distance yourself and realize they are stupid. Whatever their problem is, they have limited language skills. The best way to resolve problems is talking, not screaming. They will receive nothing good from yelling at somebody who can't really prevent or deal with the problem. They are stupidly wasting their energy. It does not reflect upon you; you are not the cause of all the problems they have, though they are stupidly blaming you. It is unfair and unjust. Their emotional immaturity gives them no right to do this, but sadly our society encourages it. It is not you, this is critical to believe, because they are essentially saying it is you. It isn't.

Professionally, keep that bullet-pointed list in mind. Follow whatever procedure you have to. Don't disregard your training and education because some moron is screaming and demanding it. Customers who scream are stupid and don't know how to deal with their problems most of the time. You gain nothing (and they gain nothing) by going down to their level. There are rare exceptions, but those are few and far between (and risky as hell). This will CYA and usually also deal with the problem the best way you are able. It is their problem and doesn't reflect upon you. Keep saying this to yourself, because it is overwhelmingly true 9 times out of 10.

You may correctly say this is difficult and requires mental processing. Yes, I've found it to be worth it. I hope it may be for you as well. Do you see a little more of the picture now? I hope so and that it helps you.

Let's say this happens:

Customer: "I want a refund on this item."
Employee: "Ok, do you have a receipt?"
Customer: "No, but I bought it here. They let me return things all the time at your other branch."
Employee: "I'm sorry Miss, but I can't do a return without a receipt It's store policy."
Customer: "You what?! I've been coming here for 11 years and I've never heard that before."
Employee: "I was always trained to require a receipt before a return. Store Policy."
Customer: "The customer is always right and I've been one for 11 years."
Employee: "I understand you're upset about this situation, but without a receipt the company won't allow a return."
Customer: "I want to see your manager." [Lovely snide tone]
Employee: "My manager is out to lunch right now. I'm not sure when she'll be back exac"
Customer: "O typical! I bet you just don't wanna do it!"
Employee: "No Miss. I can't do a return without a receipt and I'm sure my manager will say the same."
Customer: "You can't just do a simple return?"
Employee: "Not without a receipt, no Miss."
Customer: "I want to file a complaint with your boss or the store or whoever."
Employee: "I'm sure if you do they will also say a receipt is required Miss."

At this point, either the customer will devolve into screaming, report to corporate, or give up, but ultimately, you can't control what she does. She's a moron, and rather than try to find some alternative way to resolve the situation (going home and getting a copy of her credit card statement and coming back to politely see the manager with it or something), she's proven she's a jerk. Threatening the employee does nothing good for her, except fulfill her desire to complain and ruin another person's day.

CYA (Cover Your Ass). If possible, you want to document this thing after it is over. Note the time, date, and basics of the conversation. Remember those bullet-points? Customer wanted a return without receipt; I politely and repeatedly informed her store policy didn't allow this. She attempted to blame employees for this. I simply repeatedly restated policy. Tried to give customer the option of waiting for manager to come back from lunch; she cut me off. (or whatever your store policy / manager told you do to / follow your training). She's gonna complain if she's gonna complain, but this way you at least have your story straight.

Mentally, have those bullet-points,
"Customer wanted return without receipt; was told store policy doesn't allow.
Manager at lunch; tried to suggest solution; was cut off.
Customer argued and intimidated; I remained polite.

Meanwhile, I'm on a marble Terrance in my mind. Three lines to remember. Mental and emotional distance. Repeat bullet-points; insert, "I am solving not causing this." When situation ends, document it quickly, writing down bullet-points, time, date, etc. That's the plan anyhow, and yes it certainly is hard, but I contend worth it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:57:36 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile

Ok, um, thank you. That's helping a bit but it's still hard.

Can I get some help in dealing with some more difficult situations? I mean like the other person starts blaming me and they aren't a customer but someone else I have to deal with who has authority over me. Or maybe a family member or friend or something. It's worse when they are not really asking and are demanding things from me like time or work or whatever. Worse, I'm being told I'm worthless by some family, because I'm not what they wanted me to be / am not doing quite so well. They have their own problems they don't handle well and I'm a great person to yell at and talk down to, because I'm in a bad position.

I sorry to throw this at you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's ok.

Given mostly generalizations (actors not actions) I can mostly answer only generally.

A key here is the power the other person holds over you. Even if you are dead right, that person can be wrong but powerful and punish you. The unfairness / unjust nature of the punishment won't save you from it. Thus, one of your key considerations must be avoiding the punishment. Tragically, this may mean going against your own interests, because somebody has a literal or figurative club over your head threatening to bash it in. You do what you can with what you have where you are, until you can change these circumstances. Survive; overcome.

Am I hearing you right that they are demanding work and time from you? I'm guessing unpaid? This may depend upon several factors I don't have information for. If you are living with family, then this could be part of an implied rent (which is often abused by one part or the other, usually the landlord as they have more power). In this instance you need to be careful not to jeopardize your living arrangements. They may well be taking advantage depending upon the time / services rendered, but there sadly isn't much you can do right at this time.

The focus should be gaining independence from this situation. You have only so much time, and using this time best is the goal of clearing your mind / dealing with negative thoughts. Whatever free time you have needs to be divided into a couple of things primarily: a.) finding an alternative means of supporting yourself (i.e. gainful employment), and focusing / recuperating. Ruminating upon the terrible nature of the circumstances (no matter how unjust they are) will not provide a solution. Understanding it might, but be careful not to dwell on it, at the expense of working towards a solution. Is it the best option, no. Is it fair, certainly not. Sadly, that's the most pragmatic solution most of the time, and it's quite a bit more difficult than it should be. This is unfortunate and regrettable, and I realize that may not be worth much to you.

Flowing into the other part of being told you are "worthless...." This is sad and not helpful. Believe me, I have several deadbeat relatives (of the employed and unemployed variety) who are taking up valuable resources with the goal of screwing people. I refuse to be like them; tried to help them; got kicked in the teeth for my trouble. No thank you. "Worthless" is not a helpful term, because it doesn't lead to a solution. There are two things to keep in mind here:

These may apply to more than just yourself:
1.) What things about yourself could you improve?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2.) What are ways you can cope with problems of an immediate nature?

Given the information I have in the prior post, that's about all I can manage. It's rather generalized, but each situation is different in life. As much as we would all benefit from a "one size fits all" solution, I fear none exists. Facts and circumstances dictate for us all.

'Tis the path we must walk as best we are able.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:22:54 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ever have somebody where every word they say just grates on your nerves? Usually it's because they are being mean and demanding and either "asking" me to do things or asking why I don't. Really they're constantly demanding that I do stuff and on my case. Of course, they don't see it that way. If confronted about this, they just blow off my words like they're nothing at all and tell me why they're right and I'm wrong. It's horrible and makes me want to scream. These people seem to act completely shocked that there is any sort of problem at all as if nothing could ever go wrong, and how could anything?

Certainly, I'm the problem and if they could just say more words to me, then things would clear up. Nope, the problem is their words and the fact that they won't shut up at all, and it seems like that's just a thing they will never do. Quiet isn't a thing to them. Whenever someone calls them on the fact that they won't shut up they respond with "I'm just saying" or "I'm just asking," or "It's a simple question." Yeah, ok, and the person asking for this to stop is making an even simpler request, but that's not gonna happen. Meanwhile, this person, who has been begged to shut up several times, still somehow acts surprised. I want to scream but I can't. It feels like everybody wants to fucking talk all day long, and acts upset when I finally get a word in edgewise like I should be shutting up. It's so unbalanced because they'll talk forever and I can hardly say anything.

I'm not being talked TO. I'm being talked AT.

Everybody's feelings matter. Except mine. Their feelings are a license to bitch all day everyday to everyone around them and I just have to be like superhuman or something and suck up all their abuse with a smile. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:13:46 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

I've probably said this already but *hugpats*.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I have had that. Many times. It's easier said than done, but I have been better off following this than not: the wind howls; the mountain does not care.

Same principles. Slightly different application. Realize it is all an irritant irritating you. The volume, tone, and content of voice are all part of the same whole. Be it terrible words or terrible screeching it is a flawed communication from the speaker one must overcome. Believe me, I know well the annoyance of having someone around whose voice is simply grating, perhaps to you or to everyone.

Unfortunately, the only remedy is to get through it and alter your perception of this individual when you must. Limited contact isn't always an option, but of course seems preferable. Think of different, happier things. It's the same remedy as if someone is cussing you out or otherwise getting under your skin.

On a wider note this is a person people in the general public should try very hard not to become. Somewhere along the way, every person acting intolerably was buffeted around by their own emotions and others' emotions. It's a sad state of affairs on several levels. First, that person is probably in a lot of turmoil. Second, that turmoil is difficult for others to deal with and thus self sustaining. Third, they may never see the truth and violently shut their eyes to it and all who point it out. Quite sad for all involved really.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok. That's good but like I'm still having some questions I wanted to get your opinion on.

What if I have people who seem to always scapegoat me? Like, they basically get upset AT ME whenever something bad comes up if it is my fault or not. They know I won't fight back or scream at them or whatever 'cause they know I can't. Something comes up and I get totally yelled at and blamed. I'm trying to think up some examples so you have something to work with I guess. Kinda like these ones.

The dog crapped on the floor.
Ok, but first off, I let him out repeatedly and took him for walks and he did it anyhow. I'm going to be the one cleaning it up so it isn't like I want that to happen. Also why isn't the dog getting yelled at instead of me, because he's the one who did it. God please tell me I'm not responsible when the dog poops on the floor inside.

Something breaks.
I didn't break it. Stuff breaks sometimes like computers and cars need repaired and stuff. Same goes for the gate latch on the fence gate. Everybody slams that thing and it gets beaten up so of course it's going to be out of joint and need realigned. It isn't like I slammed it shut more than anybody else did, including the person yelling at me.

We run out of some kind of food.
Food gets eaten and then you get more. I thought that was how it works. Yup, milk gets drank or poured over cereal or whatever and I'm totally not the only one eating it. I'm totally the only one getting yelled at about it though.

Something didn't come in the mail.
O come on and please don't tell me it's my fault when other people don't send stuff.

The government demands something be done.
The mailbox needs to be made higher because the lady from the post office sent a letter saying so. That means it the post has to be dug up and raised. Or, maybe the zoning guy doesn't want a fence built somewhere or certain things done in the yard because that's how things are here. None of this stuff is my fault and there isn't anything I can do about it, but I'm gonna get yelled at.

Something happens at work
Boss is upset because higher ups made a stupid new policy or set some ridiculous goal he knows we can't reach without hiring more people they won't pay for. He's gonna get yelled at and that means I'm gonna get yelled at by him.

Basically, I make a good person to yell at around where I live because I'm not going to fight back. I really can't.

Lately I've been trying to deal with it better and I've been doing a little better job, but really when you look at it. Things are still quite hard really, I have to say. I'm not sure if I'm not doing things the best way or if like, there's something else I could be doing. I've tried some of the suggestions here like going into a happy place (and that helps a little but it's hard to do that while saying in the moment so I can deal with it). I've also tried some of the other stuff too and sometimes that helps.

Any other tips guys? They might just help a lot so thanks up front. 

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a psychologist, nor a therapist. Please seek a mental health professional licensed in your area. Nothing can replace a trained therapist; one helped me. If you are dealing with mental illness, please consult a psychologist or therapist. Thank you.

Told you about the happy place. Here's the "unhappy" place. AKA "Yellow Rooming."

Want / need to scream at somebody but can't? Experiences (stimuli) can be real or imaginary. Happy place lets you have better imagined stimuli and environments; unhappy place lets you release bad stimuli. The reason this is a more advanced lesson is because it can go wrong if misapplied. See also how people mentioned zoning out at the wrong time can be bad....

Yelling in real life has bad consequences. Yell, but not in real life. Feel better playing that first person shooter, blowing away video game enemies? It's not real; your mind can't tell the difference. You feel better having done it, though it was fake ( Catharsis ). You didn't shoot anything real in that game; it's all lights and binary clockwork. That, but in your head and usually much much more toned down.

Yellow Rooming:
Imagine a room where everything is bright yellow made of thought positioned where your cerebellum is. Everything in the room, all boundaries, people, objects, and just everything is yellow. Functionally similar to the Star Trek Holodeck This is to make it distinct from reality, so you never mix the two up as you are incredibly unlikely to see an entire place where literally everything and everyone is yellow.

Imagine screaming at people there inside your imaginary completely yellow room. You are yellow; they are yellow; all is yellow. You're not actually going to say or do anything in the real world. It's just thought, and safe as long as it remains just thought. As a rule, I would avoid imagining violence in the yellow room, at all, or at least for those not advanced in this technique. Never act on anything from this; there is a reason everything is separate and purely imaginary. Keep it that way.

I've had to resort to this repeatedly with utterly terrible situations you don't want to imagine. There's nothing wrong with imagining, and only imagining, yelling at somebody. It keeps you from physically talking to them or talking to yourself, as you might get in trouble for doing either of those things.

Just as the "happy place" can be used to deal with positive imaginary experiences. The "unhappy place" aka yellow room can be used to deal with negative experiences by keeping them safely imaginary.

Application:
For the most part, this is best used in a limited capacity. Have negative thoughts keeping you up at night? Remembering that horrid customer who said you were worse than Hitler because you actually couldn't accept their return without getting fired? Yeah, you're losing sleep laying in bed from those thoughts. When laying in bed, consider zoning out to the yellow room; imagine a totally separate place (not your work where you encountered the customer). Imagine saying to the customer all the things you'd like to (in your imagination only).

Imagine the customer sadly nodding and apologizing, because it isn't fair to say you're worse than Hitler. That demeans you and the Jews / other people who suffered through that crap. Keep in mind a customer will rarely if ever apologize for their atrocious behavior towards some poor soul who is just doing their job. They should; who are we kidding, they won't. Perhaps this will allow you closure, if only imaginary, and not you you carrying it forwards with you.

Basically, yellow rooming is a safe way to yell back and get closure through apologizing, both the yelling and the apologies are imaginary. I can't stress the "strictly imaginary" part enough.

Without getting too deep into my personal history, I've was the victim of several ... very bad .... crimes as a child. Some of the men who did those things are in prison; they have been and will be there for quite some time. I will never get an apology from those men; they are monsters and locked up for a reason. For years, I blamed myself for what they did to me. Victims can easily get (understandably) fixated on terrible things that happened to them. For me at least, imagining them apologizing to me for it helped. Believe me, that was after a LOT of therapy as a kid.

Maybe imagining the people who upset / hurt you apologizing and recognizing you are a human being might help?

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a psychologist, nor a therapist. Please seek a mental health professional licensed in your area. Nothing can replace a trained therapist; one helped me. If you are dealing with mental illness, please consult a psychologist or therapist. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:32:09 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you ever get the feeling people are snapping at you demanding instant solutions to problems they couldn't solve themselves like ever?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you ever get the feeling people are snapping at you demanding instant solutions to problems they couldn't solve themselves like ever?

Seriously though, Yes. Moreover our sorry instant gratification "society" makes this common. Generally, everyone needs to make their requests take more than a second, but not too long. Too quick sounds like a demand. Too long is annoying. Goldilocks that stuff. Basically, everyone needs to work on not dishing that out. When you're on the receiving end....

Remember, you're talking to the emotional equivalent of a drowning man. Oddly, this person may be rich or poor. Emotionally, they are bankrupt and they don't even know it.

See that? Yeah. Not quite that bad, because there's not eating involved but yeah.... Le Clueless. Not you, them (once you see that invisible emotional ocean I've been going on about).

Is there a specific thing that's bugging you about this (other than the obvious)? Are you feeling angry, sad, scared, confused, startled, insulted, or something else when this happens generally? Are you having any physical aspects to this such as shortness of breath, upset stomach, or having to throw up? Do you find your shoulder muscles getting tense or your neck, jaw, etc?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:02:43 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

That meme is so appropriate.
Sigtext

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been trying to figure out how to even respond to that. It depends on the situation I guess. Maybe we could go over that stuff and maybe not. I don't know.

How do you keep your head so damn straight? I can't seem to keep my thoughts organized, especially when this shit his happening.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Organizing thoughts and attention? Many ways; many possible good outcomes. Do what works for you. As for me.... How to explain....?

Smart phones may be a good analogy for younger people. Imagine virtual space:

5 Windowpanes (Icon / app screens) arranged in a row that is curved / bowed out, like a HUD overlaying whatever your eyes see. Think of the wallpaper screen on a smartphone, you swipe left or right to get to "nearby" menus. Look at the video from 11 to 15 seconds See how those menus are "next" to one another? Imagine being inside looking out of those.

The 5 screens are numbered 1-5. 1 is far left. 2 Left. 3 Center. 4 Right. 5 Far Right. See the bowed curve in front of you superimposed over your vision? Consider these functions for the screens

1.) Emotional / Social / Conversational: Self emotional control, social behavioral requirements, what you're going to say next in conversation. Consideration.
2.) Informational: Data, information, tasks and lists. Plans and steps you plan to take, perhaps with contingencies when shit goes not as planned.
3.) Central: Basically a true HUD, with only small reminders popping up overlaying your vision: linking reminders from other screens....
4.) Location / Spacial: Maps. Visual 3rd person representations of the room/building/ area you are in. Spacial awareness. Radar.
5.) Auditory / Musical: Soundtrack. Music Video. Mood setting music. Could also be affirmations set to loop. Focuses you, etc. Sound may trigger memories also....

I find this a basic simplified way to organize some basic thoughts. It is similar to the idea of a memory palace.... Except his is dynamic and focusing on attention / requiring attention to "run" the program in your head.

Note also that the screens interact.... The emotional is next to the informational. That's intentional. I switch focus between them, scrolling as required. Having two next to each other helps. I'm considering informational aspects next to conversational / social ones.... It helps remembering the name of somebody's dog or whatever when talking to them.... etc.

Example: Walking around doing anything. Far left screen (1)  has emotional and social information on it, including facial expressions, not looking bored if possible, and keeping track of conversational undertones. Monitoring and modifying emotional feelings as best able to do so. Ideally, mentally calling bullshit on people who are stupid / being mean. Left screen (2) Has words and ideas on it including tasks / lists of things to do. Information appears here. Central screen (3) is largely clear / see through with occasional pop ups superimposed. Right screen (4) has maps on it perhaps zooming in or out quite a bit including to room level, knowing that door is close or far to where I am standing: spacial awareness, etc. Far Right screen (5) is playing the equivalent of music video; sometimes it can aid in the recall of memories, as music often can.

Somebody comes up to me being an asshole. I mentallly focus on that Far Left screen, focusing on emotional issues with that informational screen (Right) just next to it. If I've got the mental resources to parallel process, I'll fantasize about a better place. If not, stick to that.

Remember those lists I told you about? Those go on screen 2....:

The information is dynamic and flexible. I have always learned spatially and by doing. This allows me a mental, spacial representation and way to put things into "their place." It's a version of doing things like this and it's a flexible enough concept that it can work in many ways and configurations. It lets me switch thinking modes quickly, and

This is an advanced technique and it may or may not be practical in your situation. Perfect? No. Practical for me? Yes. Would it work for you, perhaps, perhaps not. Difficult? Yes. Practical? Perhaps.

Anybody else have any thought organizing methods that might help?

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, that actually kinda does help, but it is a little hard sometimes.

I still have issues with  people just flat out NOT wanting to believe what I tell them like my boss not being there. I'd happily take a message and write the whole thing down or the points etc. It isn't like he's hiding somewhere. He's just not available and all I can do is leave a message. I even wrote it out right in front of the guy.... Still not happy. It's pretty blatantly obvious I'm not in charge here and the guy you want who is in charge, isn't. Gah.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17