Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Problems with stress and being upset from dealing with people. How do you?  (Read 74369 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Even if you dont include personal information you might well be identified. Hence posting shit online being a bad idea.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Attack is the best defense.If they keep pushing, ask them deeply personal and uncomfortable questions. Another fun one is pretending that you didn't hear a long question and making them repeat it multiple times, and then giving it a lame non-answer like "I don't know".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:11:04 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Advisable course of action is to try and understand the other side. It`s an uber important cliche that`s also hardest to remember: we all live in our own little realities and everybody is different (not always but it`s best to assume so).

Your description of the current situation is vague, but still: if a person repeatedly asks you something there are few options. They`re either trying to help, they`re a bully or they`re oblivious to standard social norms (ie live up their own backside).

First one: mum/teacher/friend sees some problem -real or imagined  - with you and is trying to help. They`re on your side so be patient and diplomatic. It won`t hurt to maybe consider if they have a point and change accordingly.

The bully: Depending on how avoidable this person is. If they`re strongly embedded in your life then you have to confront them about it and then they`ll either stop or escalate. It`s not fun, I know, but has to be done.

The pest: just ignore them or cut out from your social circle. They probably won`t even register that, since they live completely in their own world.

And if its work then the only solution is to weigh the pros and cons and if you see it in red, then find another one, sadly. That`s how the boss-underling structure works and the boss will never change.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Become greater than.

They told us lies: that everyone is equal.
Created equal perhaps, but are the godawful murderer and the good man both as good? We make our choices, and our choices make us.
All should behave and be civil; all won't. Try to change this, and it will exhaust you. Adapt. Learn to thrive mentally separate from the chaos.

The fool is beneath you and numerous. They feel, and don't think. Think and rise. Realize their fury is their fault, not yours. Reflect, reassure this is true.
Pity the fool, but neither become him nor let him fight you. You must learn to be separate and above, not one of. Fools are not helped by being foolish. (Don't be).

Equality is the dream, impossible in reality. We wish for equality to elevate equally; it won't. The only equality is death, the 0. Drag down not, nor be dragged.
Knowledge multiplies when not destroyed by foolish corruption. It can create and improve, if safeguarded from fools. Be neither corrupting, nor corrupted.

Feelings are not real; they exist solely and only in our minds. That is yours above and beyond all else. Learn to control your own mind, your feelings, your thoughts.
Learn to observe the world and perceive it without letting it alter you. This is the key. Understand. Observe. To attain the birds' eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze.

If you really understand these words, you may find what you are looking for. Understanding is difficult and involves skills for all circumstances. Time. Patience. Wisdom.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

*blinks*

Whoa.

That was deep, Truean.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:30:41 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:10:28 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Derp...

Tiruin, Truean, very similar names, whoops.

*gives Vector some spare hugs to give Truean*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile

Ok.... How do I do any of that?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Basically Truean said to be "like water", formless and capable of transforming into the shape of any other vessel. (at least that's what I understand from it.)

A fun way to do that is to play the people around their expectations, although if you're trying to avoid and hide certain information, you might as well agree to agree with what they say, or if they're asking a question, answer it to the best of your abilities without having your emotions hinder you for a sec.

If you can adapt, you can be inconspicuous.

With how things work in my life atm, I typically just state things in jest. Talking about topics commonly to be identified in your society as taboo, and yet inoffensive.

I'm not sure if you live in the west, but if you live in one of the more conservative places, you can just try jesting in lewd anyway. Eventually, they'll end up stereotyping you as that facade, instead of whoever you are right now. With that, you have achieved some semblance of control with what they will end up asking you, but really, the point is that you can guide the expectations of people as you see fit if you're willing to go the extra mile.

Otherwise, just tell them it's against your religion, beliefs, culture, etc. to be asked too hard, or you could tell them not to ask you too much about things you don't know with a stern look.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Basically Truean said to be "like water", formless and capable of transforming into the shape of any other vessel. (at least that's what I understand from it.)
Spoiler: Nice try, bro (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Nice try, bro (click to show/hide)

Well. Bruise Lee is my master idol and shit.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

.... Thank you all.

Ascend by perception, differentiation, distance, discipline, and more.

Perceive, not merely see, the world, wonderful and woeful. See and mentally place parts into relation to others, spatially, relationally, psychologically. Observe the fool. See his meanness; expect and anticipate it. Warning wanes wounds. Realize he is mean to all, because he is flawed and unable to cope. He is helpless among the tempest he does not see and you do. Of course he is mean, of course he screams his feelings tell him he is battered by a typhoon he cannot see. Such a sad scene screaming so somehow someone should salve soaked stupidity. No one will. Learn to observe the world and perceive it without letting it alter you. This is the key. Understand. Observe.

Differentiate. Know what they are and how, be not as they.... Note the fool. Observe overdone overacting. The psychic ocean of human feelings batters us all with waves. All feel the injury; few see the cause. See. Rise above. Anticipate and adapt. Know in advance you will be struck by the fools' meanness. See the strike before it comes, as it comes, adapt and evade to soften the blow. Sidestep, block, roll with, or merely accept and dismiss it. You are not they; be not as they are. Do not what they do. Drag down not, nor be dragged.

Distance, know and grow mentally apart. The flame grows warm, not burning with but a little distance. See the psychic tempest of emotions humanity is caught in. The fool is entirely confined to the material world and banished from the mental world. Become a resident. Separate yourself mentally from the material while maintaining your material (body, possessions, etc), because the mental portion of you needs it. Not maintaining your material self will distract your mental self with pain. Bodily injury is separate from mental; abusers know they will be punished for the first but not the second. Most have never been shown how to care for their mind. Think and rise. Realize their fury is their fault, not yours. Reflect, reassure this is true.

Discipline, you are many separate machines, body, mind, etc. Do the machines cooperate and do you control them? Care for your body; control your mind, thoughts, images, and processes. Realize when you are thinking harmful thoughts, consciously stop yourself, think better thoughts. Basically, psychologists call this "cognitive behavior re-framing therapy."* Your distance often can't be physical, but mental distance can be had. Your thoughts are not real, except in your head, only you can think them. It is possible to think of being on a gold veined marble beach terrace overlooking the sea, furnished with mahogany, attended by massage therapists, and visited by loving friends. This is distance; keep one foot safely in this world to safely observe it, and the other elsewhere when stressed. Pain will distract you, as an understatement and this is unfortunate. To attain the bird's eye is to turn the blizzard to a breeze.

Call it science if you will. Learn to interact with the system. You may influence it to some degree, but realize it is a storm The psychic tempest may exhaust you if you fight within it. Rise above it. Anticipate the water. Know you can't stop it. Adapt, become waterproof.

*Seek a professional licensed therapist. They can help far more than I ever could.

Once again Vector is unsure of her awesomeness. Be assured.

This is a very oversimplified version. The pieces and parts relate and interrelate to one another. For example, "To attain the bird's eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze," really goes to all of these parts and so much more. It goes to perception "eye," differentiate, "[implied difference in perception and viewpoint]," distance "bird," and discipline "attain" as well as more.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:23:23 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Holy flying skeletal carp Truean, the depth of that statement overflowed negative z-levels and is now at max height.
Sigtext

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile

Ok. Can I ask you how to apply that in the real world a bit?

Like somebody has a customer and she's pissed, because she said the company website said she could use a certain discount or coupon or whatever. I've been told those things are garbage and we're just not accepting them by my boss. My boss can fire me if I don't do what he says, and this customer is going to scream in my face like she's about to slap me repeatedly. I'm not even sure the company website said any of that or if she's lying or what. I do know that if I take that coupon, then I'm going to get written up or maybe fired or just bad things.

Say your family is being really stupid about something that isn't your fault. My dad bitches and moans about Obama all the time. He will hijack the conversation and pretty much repeat what Fox News is playing. I don't care, because he does this stuff allllll the damn time and I've heard it before. I can actually tell what he's going to say next because he's said it ten times already. We can't talk because he is pissed and ranting. Meanwhile I'm somehow to blame for everything. God forbid something bad happens that isn't my fault, because I'm going to get yelled at no matter what. I'm just the scapegoat. Never good enough no matter what I do. Some basic family abusive crap.

?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Ok. Can I ask you how to apply that in the real world a bit?

Like somebody has a customer and she's pissed, because she said the company website said she could use a certain discount or coupon or whatever. I've been told those things are garbage and we're just not accepting them by my boss. My boss can fire me if I don't do what he says, and this customer is going to scream in my face like she's about to slap me repeatedly. I'm not even sure the company website said any of that or if she's lying or what. I do know that if I take that coupon, then I'm going to get written up or maybe fired or just bad things.

?

Oh this one is really simple. Fake smile, state company policy, and if they keep insisting offer to get them in contact with your immediate superior.

Really, during university I did a brief stint as a ticket puncher and few things made me happier than to kick shit upstairs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17