Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Problems with stress and being upset from dealing with people. How do you?  (Read 74308 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

In the OP you say people asking you questions is a source of anger.  Is it specific questions that bother you or just being questioned in general?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile

It's kinda both depending. I don't know but I'll try to explain.

I tell somebody something that's pretty much a fact. Let's keep it simple and say, "The door is locked."
They then either act like it isn't or ask me "The door's locked?" like they don't believe me or something.

That kind of makes me feel like I'm just not believe being believed or something, or as if I didn't know how to turn a little knob to make it lock or whatever.

Other times are when I'm asked "why did you do that?!" The implication is that I couldn't have possibly had any reason to do it and I'm nuts for having done it. The real reason is because I had to and I may not have even liked it one bit. I did it anyhow, because I had to. The thing that seems to get me, is how people are so completely shocked. If I could be snarky, a part of me would say "to piss you off," very sarcastically, but I can't and won't.

Overall, it varies by question and person.

I don't know if that helps at all, but hopefully it does.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

... for me it murks the issue further. It seems you're jumping at normal twists of phrase

Other times are when I'm asked "why did you do that?!" The implication is that I couldn't have possibly had any reason to do it and I'm nuts for having done it.
This one is even murkier. Why did you do what, exactly? I'm kind of wondering what kind of act prompts these questions.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just about anything from some people.

"Why did you ______________!?"

1. load the dishes like that
2. put salt on scrambled eggs
3. park where you did
4. forget to pick up the mail

There are answers to all of these. The dishes wouldn't fit any other way. I like salt on scrambled eggs. There was nowhere closer to park. I forgot to pick up the mail.

Other people seem to have more specific stuff.

"Why did you ______________!?"

A. move the forklift over there
B. tell them the policy says not to
C. not come get me
D. write it down instead of putting it in the computer

There are answers to all of these. Because that was the only way I could get stuff done. Because the policy does say that and I might get fired if I don't. Because you weren't anywhere around and I couldn't find you. Because the computer system just wasn't working and there was a ton of stuff to get done (they always assume the computer will work, but it doesn't).

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

As it is being revealed, I think you have problems over people confirming, and on the next few statements, hate being screamed at. For the first part, it's just natural people will confirm, and will have to deal with it accordingly. Catch yourself in the act when your mood sours because 'they don't believe in you'. Because they're not always asking you about it because they don't believe you. They're asking about it at other times to make sure they heard right.

It's just as well on my case anyway, since I can absentmindedly agree to things when I meant the opposite.

As for the last few examples, do you have a particular hate at being screamed at, accused of and so on? I wouldn't say that it's natural, but some people just like shouting at others when they believe a mistake has been done, when they haven't been clear on their part anyway. You can try stating the below answers to those questions, and inquire if it did matter.

Then you can feedback with you won't/will do it next time, as you see fit, or give a response in the case of policies being ignored etc, since customers have a right to know company policies if they demand to know, or if you think they need to know.

During any of those reactions, you need to catch yourself on the act where you're building up unwarranted and unnecessary energy and then react appropriately. And by appropriately, I mean, focusing on Zen (On a single goal, without any distractions) and delivering your response.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty much yeah. It still seems to suck for me but yeah. Not sure entirely how to deal with that, but am I getting there? I don't know.

I also keep comparing stuff to other past events that happened and remembering bad things. This does not help, because it both takes up time and might be something that happened years ago that doesn't help with dealing with the present difficult situation. Also, people asking me questions slows me down quite a bit. It's kind of like I'm doing something, and someone asks why.... I ... have to do it?

So comparing stuff to the past is bad feelings and distraction. It throws me off a whole lot actually.

Does anybody actually like getting yelled at? I know I don't one bit. I'm trying for the zen stuff but that is hard.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Flawed tools, theirs, mine, yours, everyone's.

Asking stupid questions (yes they exist): AKA Denial.

People can't deal with the real world. This includes bosses, managers, business owners, shareholders, etc. Wall St. perfectly shows this. They basically wait around praying stocks will go up or down. There is no way to predict this, so they rely upon basically vodoo models, graphs, etc. If people could predict the stock market.... Except you can't.

Same deal with any and every business and goal. Everyone wants everything done for no cost, effort, time, inconvenience, etc, and they want to be made to feel great. This is impossible; the world is full of crazy people. That Ocean of Emotions I told you about? That's what's stirring all this up. There is no point trying to stop or influence it; better to expect and deal with it when it inevitably comes. It will.

Example: "A" has authority over "B" to get Task 1 done. "A" will look better if Task 1 is done cheap, fast, well, etc.

"A"'s superiors are assholes who expect the impossible. "A" must deliver as close to the impossible as possible. All "A" use to do this is "B" who can only do so much themselves. "A is essentially praying that "B" can both do the impossible, not show up "A" and work for peanuts, and "A" is going to yell about this no matter what. He's basically denying the real world, like everybody else. Conversely, "B" is also denying THE ABOVE real world facts by expecting people to be reasonable and not expect the impossible. They're going to. Deal as best you can.

See how everyone in this example A's Superiors, "A," "B," and customers/coworkers are all basically in denial. Whatever product or service we're talking about, will not be a magical injection that fixes everything, but that's what they're expecting. Nopes.

Same goes with any time anyone asks you a stupid question. They're denying the obvious flaws in the universe that forced you to do something sub optimally, even though doing it "better" would've been better for you. You didn't have that option. The real answer to all of these questions is "Shit happens," BUT WE CAN'T SAY THAT.

So what the hell are you and I and everybody else supposed to do: you've seen my answer. I try to use my imagination to create a place (not real but still) where there are good things happening to me and good people around me supporting me. Combine that with awareness and coping techniques, it seems to be reasonable enough to me. I have the equivalent of imaginary friends and locations inside my head that I know aren't real. I'm sitting quietly in bed imagining them. Persons and places where more comfortable, nicer things exist.... Is it a little odd, perhaps. That said, consider two options, A.) Focus on every terrible thing that's happened, B.) Imagine something better. Which option would you like your spare time spent on?

I have half a mind to sort of set something up to share based on this principle (some imaginary place).

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:29:13 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp

Ultimately, nobody in the world wakes up in the morning and thinks, "You know what?  Today I'm going to be an utter bastard."

I don't even know how many times this has happened to me.

Seriously though, people really can suck. Just try to do what they ask of you, and be polite - it really helps!

Definitely not secretly a PTW.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you do with people who just don't want to hear anything no matter how true it is, unless it gets them what they want? They're expecting the impossible?

Example:
I explain that we have to do things a certain way and clearly, quickly lay out what needs to be done and how.

A lot of the time the other person will either ask "why?" or "why not (doing it some other way)?" or "What about (Some other thing that is not what I said)?"

The answer to these things is all pretty simple, "Because the rules say we have to and I don't have a choice." I don't know what answer to give them or that they could possibly be expecting. Is it as if there's some other, better answer I'm secretly hiding from them and if they just question and pressure me enough, then they will somehow get that answer. Why do they think I explained it the way I did? Just for my health or to piss them off?

Someone with more power than either one of us has decided that this is the way it's going to be. They make the rules and not me. I don't even know why they made the rules that way, and hell, I might not even agree with it personally. So what? There's nothing I can do about it, but it seems people are dead set to look at me expectantly like I should be able to magically make them happy. I can't, because it's not possible. There's a process I didn't create, can't change, and have to follow, so saying "I just want _____ (instead of doing it the way the rules say)," won't do jack. But please keep looking at me like I"m stabbing you.... Please no.

How do I deal with this person who just will NOT take the real world for an answer and I have no choice but to deal with? The magic wand is broken. I can't just change whatever someone wants and if I could, do you think I wouldn't have made myself rich and powerful or something instead of being in this situation? :(

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

You will have to explain to them the reason. It's a pretty short reason, so it shouldn't take long.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok. I agree with you.

What happens if they get upset or continue to insist the reason is BS or not right or whatever?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

If it's a teacher

"Because that's what Sir/M(r)s. Whommadunnit told us to do. Our grades depend on performing it exactly as ordered."

If it's a boss

"Because that's what our boss said. We might lose jobs if we don't do it this way."

If you have no idea why, but know that you've been told.

"I don't know, but that's what they said we should do and I suggest we stick to it."

If they insist reason is BS

"Are you the one giving the orders? No? Just do your work."

in a more polite form:

"It doesn't really matter; our boss/teacher told us to do it this way and we might get penalized if we do it another way so let's just stay safe."

If they insist further

"Whatever, but I'll be telling [whoever] you insisted to do it this way when they come to inquire us about what we're doing.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

The above post is good advice for the most part. There are some times when you have to just sit there and take it silently being the exception, because no matter what the other person is perhaps toxic. That is, they are totally negative and won't listen to anything. All the same, those responses aren't bad.

Yet again, remove yourself mentally from the situation for a moment in order to understand it. View from 20,000 ft above:

The other person is foolishly attempting to bend the universe to their will. You are a part of the universe, ergo, they try it with you too. That, or they are being emotionally immature. EQ, much like IQ, is a measure of how smart you are concerning emotions. These people are tossed in a tempest they can't see and don't know how to make themselves feel better, so they flail around foolishly. They are unaware and refuse to be aware that they are stupid.

Some examples of mistakes made by people who don't understand emotions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In all, you recognize, realize, and reframe. Recognize the weaknesses of these poor, blind souls caught in the great emotional tempest. Realize it can't be helped and they would fight you for trying. Reframe your awareness of the situation.

Ultimately, retaining your composure (in the face of all this foolishness) is the only real source of power anyone has. Others may try to get a reaction out of you, because they mistake that reaction for understanding/caring and the lack of it for lack of those things. After all, they falsely reason, anyone who understood what they understood would be reacting the way they are (badly). False. The trauma room surgeon sees horrors every single day, many times a day, and knows he or she has a dozen more mangled patients waiting once this one's patched up. Imagine the emergency room doctor having an emotional reaction every time he seems a horridly injured car accident victim.... That wouldn't help anyone.

Instead, the ER doc looks at the situation from 20,000 ft above and assesses it rationally. They know the broken arm, fractured humorous bone, probably hurts like hell and is horrible, but this fact doesn't help anyone. That's why it's not immediately relevant no matter how much the patient complains of it. The ER doc has to deal with patient number 27 for today's (perhaps justified but not useful) bitching as a symptom while faking a concern (bedside manner) and mentally calculating which drugs to administer at what dosage while watching out for chemical interactions, and what treatments to perform. THAT LAST SENTENCE does matter and is immediately relevant, because it might fix things. In any event, the patient will still complain (again perhaps justifiably) and the doctor has to just work around it, because it isn't going to stop for a while at least. Apply this to other situations. That is ascension above the tempest waves.

I hope this helped somewhat.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really trying. Really trying.... Any other tips and advice? Please.

I dunno how you manage T.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Prolly comes with experience. It helps that T's previous job had them involve themselves in customer matters where the customers think they can solve things better than the person qualified for that job.

Y'know. Phoenix Wrighting and stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17