Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 62228 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:34 am »

For about a century the Southeastern most Duchy of Redleaf was more or less overlooked by most people of importance in the Kingdom. It was known to be overrun by aggressive Orcs and greedy rebellious counts, and provided few goods or services that could not be obtained elsewhere at a lower price. The most that could be said for Redleaf is that it was a decent source of hardened soldiers for the crown, and that its two river crossings would serve as a decent buffer to protect more important territory should the Goblins ever decide to push through Orcish lands and open an eastern front against the kingdom.

This began to change 18 years ago, when Sylvester Riverland inherited the title of Duke from his father, who suffered a nasty goblin hex while serving on the western front which rendered him mentally unstable and unfit to rule. Sylvester quickly proved to be a hyper-competent leader, and within the first six years of his reign had driven most of the more nasty Orcish clans off his lands and beaten the Kinkaid family, long time rebels and troublemakers, into submission.

With his land secure, Duke Riverland then completed The Winding Path, a long planned and often delayed road up the treacherous cliffs of the Ironheart Range on his western border, opening up travel and trade with the dwarven city states and the Western half of the kingdom. With relative peace and a steady stream of taxable income secured, Sylvester embarked on his most ambition scheme - an expensive long term plan to modernize his military and expand his holdings into the untamed Orc infested jungles south of the Roe River, the generally acknowledged Southeastern border of the Kingdom.

These plans were slowed when a new Count came into power over the lands where The Winding Path crosses the border into Dwarven lands and promptly stifled trade by imposing ludicrously high taxes on imports and exports. This reduced the Duchy's income stream greatly, and slowed construction on many key components of the Duke's grand scheme. Sylvester was annoyed by this development, but by no means deterred; He was positive that even at a reduced speed his work would be completed within his lifetime. He was dead wrong.

You were visiting your best friend, Countess Horton of Southjungle County, when you received news of your husband's death. The exact details are a bit inconsistent from witness to witness, but the gist of it was that Sylvester allowed Prince Rubricon, a wretchedly unpopular and almost universally loathed member of the royal family, to enter Cleanriver Castle with a large retainer of exotic mercenaries. Once inside, the Prince's men promptly eliminated your husband's guard and seized your home. Once in control, the Prince publicly exposed your Husband's longstanding affair with his General, Count Glen Horton of Southjungle County, before promptly lopping off Sylvester's head for sodomy. He then disinherited all your children as 'probable bastards', save for your eldest daughter Chasity with whom he eloped to name himself Duke of Redleaf.

The week following your Husband's death proved to be a mix of relief and Chaos. Count Horton managed to fight his way to freedom, liberating a good chunk of your household, including your younger children, in the process. You attempted to send word to Farquad, your eldest son, Sylvester's heir, and an employee of the Kingdom's embassy in distant elven lands, but the messengers were rather quickly intercepted by the Prince's mercenaries and returned minus their heads. Some of the soldiers from Cleanriver County, the land your husband ruled over directly, abandoned their posts to seek you out, but Count Horton assimilated them into his own forces rather than let them pledge service to you.

As time passed, reports began to come in from the rest of the Duchy. The vast majority of the Counts who once answered to your husband have accepted Prince Rubricon as the legitimate Duke and pledged fealty to him. Only the two Southernmost counties have rejected the takeover, and remain committed to returning control of the Duchy to your family. To make matters worse, each of these two 'loyal' counts have clear ulterior motives and will likely prove difficult to control.

Much like yourself, Count Glen Horton seeks to avenge your husband, but unlike you it seems the brilliant general has succumbed to rage. He has sworn to slaughter all the treacherous Counts who have given their loyalty to the prince, many of whom you are sure are merely afraid to cross the crown, as well as your daughter Chasity whom he believes to be in on the Prince's plan rather than a victim of it. To further complicate matters, although you have long since made peace with your husband and Count Horton's relationship, the two of you are far from friends.

Count Kinkaid of Roe River County is little more than a common troublemaker. Until your husband was able to strong-arm them into behaving, his family had spent decades trying to impress the local orcs and gain control over more land through acts of petty thuggery and outright treachery. Count Kinkaid claims that he had come to respect the honorable strength of your husband, and is repulsed by the prince's cowardly behavior, but you are quite sure that his declaration of loyalty to you is little more than a means of reverting to old behaviors while retaining a degree of legitimacy.

The final kicker is that serious bad blood exists between these two remaining 'loyal' counts. Count Horton's father called for your husband to exterminate the entire Kinkaid clan for their crimes, and carried out the slaughter of a few Kinkaid households without Sylvester's approval. It will take a miracle to get your allies on the same page and restore what rightfully belongs to your family, but you are confident that you are the right woman for the job.

Character Creation

First Name:

Maiden Name:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your Youth:
Your Married Years:
Your Children:
Base of Operations:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:47:07 am by Weirdsound »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:43:02 am »

How.  Bloody.  Long.  Did it take you to write all this?  Mad respect.

First Name: Olivia

Maiden Name: Bonedust ( the gobbo friendly family )

Youth: G, goblin prisoner, taught by goblins.  We're gonna turn this chick into the Goblin Queen when all this is over.  D, give us some combat experience and experience with orcs, whom we're also gonna need.

Married Years: G again, we'll need the people on our side if we're going to kick Rubricon's ass.  H, I'm banking on our children to be some of our best assets. 

Children: Sylvester, Faith and Toby, the budding necromancer, the future criminal, and the future half-orc warrior

Base: Groghall, the more warriors we're surrounded by, the more secure our position.  We can turn them to our side, we have an army.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:56:22 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:40 am »

Youth: G, goblin prisoner, taught by goblins.  We're gonna turn this chick into the Goblin Queen when all this is over.

Married Years: G again, we'll need the people on our side if we're going to kick Rubricon's ass.

Children: Sylvester, Faith and Toby, the budding necromancer, the future criminal, and the future half-orc warrior

Base: Groghall, the more warriors we're surrounded by, the more secure our position.  We can turn them to our side, we have an army.

Probably took about 10-12 hours total to write, spread over three slow days at work. You also get two picks from Youth and Married years.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:57:18 am »

Well this is easily the most comprehensive SG character sheet I've ever seen.  Only ever dreamed of making something this detailed.  Nice job.

Edited mah sheet.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:19:47 am »

E: Vote changed!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:03:17 am by Harry Baldman »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:05:41 am »

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:04 pm »

Name: Catherine
Maiden Name: Eye'OStorm
Youth: D and H
Married:G and F
Children: Faith, Thrift, and Grant
Base:Grog Hall 
(Basically someone who is well traveled, has combat experience, and good connections. Witch we will use to harass and attack our enemies perhaps make some of the counts regret and rethink who they sided with.)

Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:47:53 am »

Awwww yisss.

First Name: Maeris
Maiden Name: Bonedust, House of Night Creatures, Goblins, and Foul Magics
Youth: G, Goblin Prisoner; I, Scholar
Married Years: H, Child Rearing; I, Bonedust Prodigy
Children: Dean, Uncle's Apprentice; Joy, Expecting Crusader; Fortune, Scion of Tetha
Base: Groghall, Orcish Hospitality

I've slightly different opinions on how to go about it, but I totally agree with a goblin-friendly dark mage.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 01:41:33 am »

Awwww yisss.

Children: Dean, Uncle's Apprentice; Joy, Expecting Crusader; Fortune, Scion of Tetha

I've slightly different opinions on how to go about it, but I totally agree with a goblin-friendly dark mage.
YOU'RE ALIVE as a gift for not being dead 1+
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:44:38 am »

As long as we get a goblin army, I'm happy. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 06:03:55 am »

Awwww yisss.

Hot damn, a suggestion that encapsulates my preferences better than NRDL's. +1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:10:54 pm »

Youth: G, goblin prisoner, taught by goblins.  We're gonna turn this chick into the Goblin Queen when all this is over.  D, give us some combat experience and experience with orcs, whom we're also gonna need.

Married Years: G again, we'll need the people on our side if we're going to kick Rubricon's ass.  H, I'm banking on our children to be some of our best assets. 

+1 for future Goblin Queen. Who's actually human.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 02:37:35 pm »

Awwww yisss.

This wins. Gonna start writing the intro soon and the vote is close enough that I don't want to get Ninja'd by a change in the polls.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »

Information hub:

General Information:

Spreadsheet about the current situation. (Maintained by players)

Information dumps:

Notable Dark Mages of Redleaf Duchy

Local counts of Redleaf Duchy

On Orcs

On Religion (scroll slightly down)

History of House Bonedust (Near the bottom)

Information on manifestations

Axebeach general information (in spoiler near the middle of the post)

On demons
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31