Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can adventurers still delve deep into the cave system?  (Read 2400 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Can adventurers still delve deep into the cave system?
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:00:25 am »

I haven't played DF since 2010, but there used to be entrances to the cave system in monster lairs, and if you delved deep enough you found the funny structures with the special weapons and some stairs (don't know if this still exists, so this is some purposeful vagueness for spoilers).

The game has changed super much since then, is it still interesting to go down to the caves? How can you reach the caves? What are some cool new things to look out for in the caves?

Here is an old thread talking about it
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64989
That thread was really fun, what kind of things do you find in your adventures to the deep?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:05:08 am by Overspeculated »

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can adventurers still delve deep into the cave system?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:30:10 am »

I actually did that, wanted to kill the beast in the liar but as i went deeper and deeper, i figured it wasn't there.
So i began to delve deeper til i was at about -120z, found the first cave and a while after the second at -130z something.
Though all i found were large rats and moles and some Pond grabbers. Oh, and water.... water everywhere.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:33:21 pm »

Monster lairs don't generally connect to cave systems, but there are other cave entrances you can use to explore.  While it is fun to delve deep and take on the monsters of the underworld, it is also quite easy to get lost beyond hope of finding your way back to the surface, since you can't fast-travel down there.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:43:51 pm »

You can build your own funny structures down in the caverns nowadays and become the evil lord of the underground yourself.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:47:55 pm »

If you're ever stuck in a cavern, find a rock, knap it, pull a branch, make a helve and an axe if you don't have one yet, then climb up on a tunnel tube and climb over to one of these branches: ⌂, then lay down and stand back up on it, then cut it down and it will glitch you out to the surface.

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:21:19 pm »

If you're ever stuck in a cavern, find a rock, knap it, pull a branch, make a helve and an axe if you don't have one yet, then climb up on a tunnel tube and climb over to one of these branches: ⌂, then lay down and stand back up on it, then cut it down and it will glitch you out to the surface.

Nice to know. I've lost my best adventurer- who slaughtered a huge horde of goblins in melee with two others- to a GCS while lost down there.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 08:21:30 pm »

Are there even rocks down there? I wasn't ever able to find any.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 08:32:05 pm »

Hmmm, guess you can't find rocks down there unless you're near a cave anyways.