Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What artifacts do you hope we get when the artifact release hits?  (Read 23479 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What artifacts do you hope we get when the artifact release hits?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »

How about an instrument that, when played, makes everyone who listens not need to eat, sleep, or drink? Then they could keep listening to it until the day they die.
I don't know why but this is giving me some type of idea for a horrible SCP-like "imposter" version of such an artifact - except instead of giving you a positive effect by making you not require sustenance or sleep, it does something really horrible, i.e you don't require sleep but your need for eating and drinking increases tenfold - when you're not eating/drinking you rapidly lose fat in your body, also your bones and muscles get weaker, to the point you become a shrivelled husk that eventually loses all mobility and suffocates to death.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 12:39:25 am »

A phylactery to hold your soul. Your body becomes as durable as a husk. If you stray too far from it, your body dies. Anybody (limit one at a time) who touches a filled phylactery might be possessed until they stray too far (or manage to fight off the influence, if they are sapient and have high willpower.) Opening a filled phylactery frees the soul within, leading to death unless there is a soulless body (that won't immediately die again) nearby.

The husk durability comes from the act of tearing out the soul, and is not granted to any additional bodies. It comes at the cost of not being able to hold a soul anymore, just the possession.

The powers this artifact is imbued with are:
  • Possession - The user of the artifact can possess another being. Variant: On touch, limited range, state=full.
  • Soul tearing - The artifact can tear out souls, husking the target. Variant: On opening, user, state=empty.
  • Soul storing - The artifact can store a soul, preventing its escape. Variant: On opening, nearby, 1 capacity, state=empty.
These powers can exist separately on other artifacts. A ring that mind controls a target for a day. A staff that husks your targets. An amulet that traps the souls of those slain by the wearer to provide an increasing buff.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:10:27 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 08:37:19 am »

I'll start, I want a sword that guides me (like how a guide works when you ask someone to guide you) and knows directions to any place I ask it. (oh yeah, and it should be able to talk)
That and if you ask it where someone is it'll tell you too. Perfect for finding targets.
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 04:06:04 am »

Does anyone know Dominions 4? That game had a list of interesting magical items. (Start from the bottom, that's where the interesting ones are).

One of my favourite ones is the Lightless Lantern which helps your mages research magic and find secrets, but to the invisible demons and horrors from other dimensions the lantern shines like a beacon and attracts them.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 11:28:28 am »

That and if you ask it where someone is it'll tell you too. Perfect for finding targets.

Eh, that seems a bit overpowered...

You need to reduce the scope, or apply more conditions to reign it in...

How about this, a sword that can lead you to a person's exact location...

Provided that said person's blood has been smeared upon it at a previous point in time...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:31:50 am by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 11:51:46 am »

Does anyone know Dominions 4? That game had a list of interesting magical items. (Start from the bottom, that's where the interesting ones are).

One of my favourite ones is the Lightless Lantern which helps your mages research magic and find secrets, but to the invisible demons and horrors from other dimensions the lantern shines like a beacon and attracts them.

The Monolith armor might be neat...

Monolith Armor

This unbelievably massive armor is crafted out
of black obsidian and is heavy enough to appear
immovable. Indeed, were it not for the powerful
spells welded into its construction, the enormous
weight would render the wearer immobile. As it
is he will be able to move but only at the expense
of tremendous exertion. On the other hand he
will be rendered virtually impervious to any sort
of harm and the wounds upon his flesh will close
at awesome speed

Uh...

Provided that being overburdened reduces chance to hit targets...

Does anyone happen to know if that is the case?
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 11:59:11 am »

Eh, that seems a bit overpowered...

You need to reduce the scope, or apply more conditions to reign it in...

How about this, a sword that can lead you to a person's exact location...

Provided that said person's blood has been smeared upon it at a previous point in time...
Wouldn't that make it go from "overpowered" to "way too situational and imprecise"? Tbh I think I prefer the OP version myself.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 12:20:08 pm »

Wouldn't that make it go from "overpowered" to "way too situational and imprecise"? Tbh I think I prefer the OP version myself.

Yeah, it would be somewhat situational...

It would be useful to quickly track down critters which you managed to nick but then lost track of for whatever reason...

I have no idea what you mean by 'imprecise' though...

I guess I just prefer artifacts that have twists, drawbacks, or conditions tempering the advantages that they offer...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:33:22 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:05 pm »

Oh derp, I misinterpreted what you said - thought you meant it could lead you to a person's location if their blood was smeared on the location itself...only later did I realize you meant the sword. Sorry, too much trying to fix modding issues the past few days.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 12:39:09 pm »

Oh derp, I misinterpreted what you said - thought you meant it could lead you to a person's location if their blood was smeared on the location itself...only later did I realize you meant the sword. Sorry, too much trying to fix modding issues the past few days.

No worries, it happens...

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:40 pm »

Sit_Rom, why you gotta put an ellipses after every sentence?

I myself would love to see something like the classic tenleague boots: boots that shrink or grow to fit any size, and allow the wearer to run incredibly fast.

Also, a sack of eternal space would be interesting- especially if, say, it were undroppable and had a chance of eating the user if left empty for too long.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 04:53:51 am »

Sit_Rom, why you gotta put an ellipses after every sentence?

Extra-dimensional concordat...

If I don't replace all of my periods with ellipses in all instances of online communication (contractual exceptions notwithstanding), an extremely photogenic moth twisted into shape of Babe Ruth will ingest every koala on the planet and then proceed to bring back Honky Tonk, only to gradually phase it back out immediately after...

GOD DAMMIT MAN, DON'T YOU GET IT!?

THE STAKES LITERALLY COULD NOT BE ANY HIGHER!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:57:59 am by Sit_Rom.exe »

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 12:22:49 pm »

No love

Deep web

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »

The Cursed Anvil of CatBacon
whenever a object is made on this anvil, it is cursed.
Anyone who uses the anvil is sure to become a cursed blacksmith.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 03:29:26 pm »

The Holy Hand Grenade of Armok

Once you find it and get it.

Make sure the pin is still in.

Go to a civ you hate greatly.

You will need to pull the pin.

While counting from 1 to 3.

Count until 3 then throw it.

Make sure you throw it true.

Make sure you throw it far.

Make sure you are far away.

For the sight of it's might is...