Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What artifacts do you hope we get when the artifact release hits?  (Read 23376 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

I'll start, I want a sword that guides me (like how a guide works when you ask someone to guide you) and knows directions to any place I ask it. (oh yeah, and it should be able to talk)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What artifacts do you hope we get when the artifact release hits?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:07:51 pm »

I'll start, I want a sword that guides me (like how a guide works when you ask someone to guide you) and knows directions to any place I ask it. (oh yeah, and it should be able to talk)
I imagine the rng won't be so forgiving.
A pigtail sock that talks and knows the directions to any kobold cave is more likely.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:53:56 am »

I think I may have missed some announcement, do tell more on these artifacts...

From context, I'm assuming that artifacts will have a slight chance to be magical when they're made.
I'd think a levitating weapon that defends against enemies would be pretty cool, or maybe a statue that guards the entrance of my fort.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:03:36 am »

I think I may have missed some announcement, do tell more on these artifacts...

From context, I'm assuming that artifacts will have a slight chance to be magical when they're made.
I'd think a levitating weapon that defends against enemies would be pretty cool, or maybe a statue that guards the entrance of my fort.
"NPC created artifacts" is ostensibly the theme of the next arc. Although in typical DF development fashion it requires "Creation of the Universe" to get it going.

Dev notes are there, although they'll be updated with more info when we get closer to the end of this cycle probably.

Plans appear to be:
Myth generation and how the world works (different for each world)
Magic based on how the world works
Planes of existence and HFS shake-up based on how the world works
Non-player artifacts (besides books). Presumably with magic linked to how the world works
Villians proactively planning to get hold of certain artifacts they fancy through thievery, war, hiring adventurers (you), etc.
And much much more...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:10:34 am by Shonai_Dweller »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:26:47 am »

Mentioned this already in "future of the fortress", but I myself would really love to see doomsday artifacts and associated crazy cults (potentially made by the player) seeking them out.

Would also be cool if the way it would go about causing an apocalypse would be randomized for each artifact (potentially multiple in each world - so if you were sadistic enough you could seek out each artifact and unleash them all at once) - so you could have the regular "colony drop" where the moon falls on the world, wiping out most of the aboveground population and turning most of the world into a Mordor-like wasteland; a zombie apocalypse that would have every named dead figure rise from the dead as super-powered zombies in their appropriate site, preferring to target those who killed them; or a "Day of Lavos" type of apocalypse where a massive toad-shaped beast rises from the ground in a remote part of the world and showers everything with a fiery rain; or something a lot more complex like Ragnarok, with a massive battle resulting in deities actually showing themselves in a physical form, natural disasters, and gigantic beasts running rampant.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:18:04 pm »

A wooden sword.
So I can set it on fire and have a flaming sword like hitler
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:22:00 pm »

I hope Toady remembers the age old rule of dimestore fantasy: Artifacts can be destroyed by dragonfire.

Of course, so can wooden shields under normal circumstances. I guess DF is 'special'.

Oh, you could randomize it. "Can only be destroyed by dipping into the tears of a Gorlak". "Indestructible so long as the wielder has no arms."...

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 03:16:07 am »

Oh, you could randomize it. "Can only be destroyed by dipping into the tears of a Gorlak". "Indestructible so long as the wielder has no arms."...

Then, there would be quests that elven druids could give you, such as "Destroy The Golden Ring".
The Golden Ring could "only be destroyed by dipping it into magma". Hang on, I have a deja vu...
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:46:04 am »

Then, there would be quests that elven druids could give you, such as "Destroy The Golden Ring".
The Golden Ring could "only be destroyed by dipping it into magma". Hang on, I have a deja vu...

But not just any magma! The magma in a mountain that is in the evil civ called "The Fruitless Slaving of Gloom", or something incoherent/non-sensical like that. Wouldn't mind re-enacting such a quest though.

EDIT: Would be awesome if artifacts like 'The One Ring' could make the user wielding it actually invisible and prone to madness/evil.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:49:03 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Kamsko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 02:15:29 am »

I'm looking forward to reading books and hearing legends of certain artifacts so I can track them down. But what would be mostly interesting is artifacts with only negative but hard to notice effects, at least until it's too late. Slowly going mad is a great example. Maybe you get this crown that is ancient in some civ and it was lost when a forgotten beast emerged and sacked a town. Now over a millennia has passed and you and your merry band of murderous bards and poets seek this crown so you can proclaim your self lord of this civ with the glory that comes with having the original crown of the kingdom. Only that while the crown grants you free pass to be Lord, it also makes you shout at people for no reason often starting fights with other sites over disputes about cats or some nonsense.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 07:21:03 pm »

Mentioned this already in "future of the fortress", but I myself would really love to see doomsday artifacts and associated crazy cults (potentially made by the player) seeking them out.

Would also be cool if the way it would go about causing an apocalypse would be randomized for each artifact (potentially multiple in each world - so if you were sadistic enough you could seek out each artifact and unleash them all at once) - so you could have the regular "colony drop" where the moon falls on the world, wiping out most of the aboveground population and turning most of the world into a Mordor-like wasteland; a zombie apocalypse that would have every named dead figure rise from the dead as super-powered zombies in their appropriate site, preferring to target those who killed them; or a "Day of Lavos" type of apocalypse where a massive toad-shaped beast rises from the ground in a remote part of the world and showers everything with a fiery rain; or something a lot more complex like Ragnarok, with a massive battle resulting in deities actually showing themselves in a physical form, natural disasters, and gigantic beasts running rampant.
hehe, I agree.

I would love to do something like this:
https://youtu.be/bzSO2dA21Hw?t=954

except, the world s alive, so an apocalypse would actually happen.

or finding that artifact that controls peoples fates and throw it in a volcano or use it to  make everyone die, or something.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:25:07 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 10:19:10 pm »

One word. Voodoo dolls. So you can twist and turn, and stab and slash something without getting your hands dirty
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:42 am »

I've given more thought into this and personally I just want to create a personal artifact steel greatsword (divine stainless steel) and call it "Atlantean Sword" or "(adventurer name)'s Wrath".

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 04:38:13 pm »

personal artifact steel greatsword (divine stainless steel) and call it "Atlantean Sword"

And unto this, Droggarth! Destined to wear the jeweled crown of The Aquiline Dominions upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell you of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 04:58:31 pm »

personal artifact steel greatsword (divine stainless steel) and call it "Atlantean Sword"

And unto this, Droggarth! Destined to wear the jeweled crown of The Aquiline Dominions upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell you of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

Heh! Yeah, finding such an artifact crown would be a treat too. That movie though gives goosebumps to me to this day, hence why the first thing in terms of swords I ever wanted to use in adventure mode was a steel greatsword and once I got one I was kind of disappointed that yet again some LOTR mithril analog is many times better but then again steel is strong, admamantine is much stronger but willpower is the the strongest of them all.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:03:17 pm by Droggarth »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5