Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Towergirls; Subtitle Pending  (Read 55372 times)

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Towergirls; Subtitle Pending
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:34 pm »

What is Towergirls: Subtitle Pending: The Demo?

Towergirls is a mix of JRPG and Grand Strategy. Create Sir or Lady Knight, and go on a quest to rescue the land of Corona from the depredations of the Dragon Queen and her Daughters! You must brave dungeons and towers against their vile minions and allies to rescue the princesses of various kingdoms. Once rescued, you may return them to their kingdoms for diplomatic benefits, or seek to befriend or even romance them to unite your kingdoms, even eventually marrying them! Then, use those connections to expand and unite the kingdoms of Corona in the face of the threats to come.

Characters you meet in the game become party members, ministers, or related to vital services of your Kingdom. Your Kingdom itself will advance both in terms of technology and infrastructure you build, but also in laws and culture due to decisions you make with the help of your advisers and princesses. In turn, you advance your own skills, either as a leader or an adventurer, to improve your abilities to rule and lead armies, or to fight your way through dungeons for treasure, rescues, and chivalry.

The game is very much in progress- note that is currently a demo, and is missing a lot of the content we are planning on adding.  Our first initial release was moments ago, but I'd love to hear what anyone thinks about it.

Here's a link to the official website: http://towergirls.boards.net/
And the current download: https://www.mediafire.com/?7diougjr3didp1u
And very alpha patcher/launcher: http://www.mediafire.com/%3F5farbyam3x5784z
As with Interstellar Army Simulator, the game will always be free, but we take donations.  You can find a link on the main website.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:05:38 am by DukeFluffy »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Towergirls; Subtitle Pending
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14:07 pm »

Why girls?  What's with this waifu thing where everything has to be an anime girl?
Shoes...

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »

Why girls?  What's with this waifu thing where everything has to be an anime girl?
Hey, some of them are robots or bugs.  It's inspired by a really old exploitable image that got turned into some choose-your-own-adventure pictures.  Some of the stuff is pretty amusing.  We're just further expanding upon it.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:32 pm »

Honestly, we're looking to put in male versions of most of the cast so eventually Towergirls could equally be played as Towerboys. But that's so incredibly long in the future that it's barely worth talking about right now.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:47:19 pm »

It was a pretty silly but fun thing a while back
here is the know your meme page

the original version

and the kinda crazy newest version
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »

It was a pretty silly but fun thing a while back
here is the know your meme page

Yeah, the know-your-meme page is surprisingly thorough.  There's been some more lewd alternate versions in recent months but we're mostly keeping away from those.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:21:44 pm »

Something something exotic dancers In all seriousness, the art's quaint and I like the sound of it. Probably gonna download in a bit.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »

Oh my god there's an actual thing of this? I shall have to take a look at it when I have the time.
It's FEF, not FEOF

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 11:28:55 pm »

Something something exotic dancers In all seriousness, the art's quaint and I like the sound of it. Probably gonna download in a bit.
It's barely a demo, but the team would love to hear what you think of it.

Oh my god there's an actual thing of this? I shall have to take a look at it when I have the time.
Excellent.  And yes- it's been a while in the making, but we're getting ready to pump out content.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:42:33 pm by DukeFluffy »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:11:47 am »

There's been some more lewd alternate versions in recent months but we're mostly keeping away from those.
So how lewd is this? I'm asking for a friend.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 01:15:41 am »

There's been some more lewd alternate versions in recent months but we're mostly keeping away from those.
So how lewd is this? I'm asking for a friend.
There's nothing explicit.  Some technically-clothed T&A but that's the worst of it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:29:30 am »

Boy princess is best princess.

the original version
That's not the earliest version. Although perhaps we might get into what constitutes true tower girls, and what's just proto-towergirls. But that way lies madness.
A demo would imply that what you've got accessible is complete, so I'm being generous to assume you're using the word wrong. Right now, the storytelling and dungeon layouts are sloppy, and look as though very little thought has gone into them, most of the game's length is composed of repetitive dungeon delving with the same couple enemies, the balance is all but nonexistent, the tutorial doesn't really tutor (and there's no tooltips) and overall it's not a good experience yet. Most of that, I assume is planned to be fixed, and the core ideas are good, but the game is not even close to the "fun" threshold yet; not only is there no mechanic which seems adequately polished, there's no mechanic that seems like it's on anything beyond the first rough draft.

Pretty much what I'd expect for this point in development, in other words, and it looks promising enough.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:55 am »

Is it just me or does the resolution automatically scale to match your screen? It doesn't work well for me, the assest seem strecthed.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 01:32:40 am »

Boy princess is best princess.

the original version
That's not the earliest version. Although perhaps we might get into what constitutes true tower girls, and what's just proto-towergirls. But that way lies madness.
A demo would imply that what you've got accessible is complete, so I'm being generous to assume you're using the word wrong. Right now, the storytelling and dungeon layouts are sloppy, and look as though very little thought has gone into them, most of the game's length is composed of repetitive dungeon delving with the same couple enemies, the balance is all but nonexistent, the tutorial doesn't really tutor (and there's no tooltips) and overall it's not a good experience yet. Most of that, I assume is planned to be fixed, and the core ideas are good, but the game is not even close to the "fun" threshold yet; not only is there no mechanic which seems adequately polished, there's no mechanic that seems like it's on anything beyond the first rough draft.

Pretty much what I'd expect for this point in development, in other words, and it looks promising enough.
Agreed on much of that.  I'm glad that it's at least looking promising.

Is it just me or does the resolution automatically scale to match your screen? It doesn't work well for me, the assest seem strecthed.
Not yet.  Right now it's simply 1920 x 1080 and stretches to fit the screen.  I'll be adding in more complicated sliding/scaling UI stuff when that is next looked at.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:38:57 am by DukeFluffy »

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 01:50:56 am »

Well, that's certainly more comprehensive than what I probably would've noted. :P

I can't say that I totally agree that it isn't currently a good experience. I've gone in assuming major bugginess and lack of polish, and while I've certainly seen the latter, overall I find it to be amusing and a fair bit of fun. Tutorial could be better, as you pointed out, and I can't say that the descriptions of the various unlockable talents are easy to decipher. Honestly, my biggest gripe at the moment is the difficulty of tracking down that last scout. >.>

Generally speaking though, I agree with you. Very promising, and I await the implementation of Dragon Princess more features with much anticipation.

Edit: Also, Conjure Pastry is probably my favorite ability so far.

Edit 2: Aaand just encountered a bug.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:23:29 am by JumpingJack »
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8