Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [42.06] Demon Fortress ♥Make Love Not War♥ 1.1.3b (04/13/16)  (Read 7251 times)

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile

Demon Fortress 1.1.3b
♥Make Love Not War♥

Download for Dwarf Fortress 42.06
(Note: Imps are not currently magma safe due to an issue I've yet to narrow down.)

In a time before time...

When the world was young and the mortal races were only just beginning to form primitive societies, demons and deities conspired to bring great evil into the world. But some lesser demons sought a greater existence than that of constant war and suffering and desired to live in the mortal world in relative harmony with the other races. Thus was a new civilization born, the emancipated demons, who came into this world from the very deepest reaches of the earth.

The Dwarves were the first to encounter the Free Demons and influenced their culture, fostering a love for family, friends and drink. In awe of their great warriors, Free Demons too began to practice the martial crafts and train themselves. But their nature was constantly looming over them and despite their efforts to escape their origins, their society was still plagued with the evil that created them. Before long, the Free Demons set out from their mountainhomes and began to settle new lands. This is where you come in. Will you lead your clan to a peaceful existence? Will you take all that you want by force? Or will you walk the shifting line between war and harmony? A new chapter of demonic history begins with you.

Strike the earth!

Demon Fortress is my first foray into major modding of Dwarf Fortress. Featuring a new civilization with unique ethics and values and comprised of multiple races, you will play as the Free Demons in the world of Armok.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Free Demons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Planned Features: Upcoming updates will likely focus on tweaks, fixes and other minor changes. The next major update will include the removal of steel as a reaction for Free Demons. Taking it's place will be a new, unique metal which will require iron, pig iron, flux and an additional material. The resulting metal will be more valuable than steel with either slightly stronger properties compared to steel or a unique syndrome attached to weapons made of this metal, if possible. I will also be including a custom workshop to facilitate this new reaction and future reactions.

In the future, I plan to rewrite the RAW for the demons, as it's a bit of a mess right now. That won't really change anything in game but it will hopefully make navigating the file easier for me and for those that want to tweak it in their own way. I also want to work on tileset support for Phoebus but as I'm not terribly artisticly inclined, I will likely just assign Dwarf tiles to them, which shouldn't be too much of an issue since Dwarves aren't playable in Fortress by default. Appending race names before each profession is a goal as well, so that an Imp fisherman will be called Rakust Momuzmondul, Imp Fisherdemon and a Succubus fisherman will be called Rakust Momuzmondul, Succubus Fisherdemon.

I'd like to also change around some of the announcements/messages if possible to better suit the style of the mod/civ. I'll be working some more on Free Demon culture as well. In particular, hair length, as female demons seem to have clean shaven heads more often than the males, which doesn't make sense for some races such as Succubi, who were created with the intent of being attractive/alluring to the majority of males.

Design Goals: Optimally, I want to strike a balance between gameplay and flavor/style with this mod. The mod should be fun to play and offer it's own challenges and benefits! I don't want it to be all fantasy and no fun after all. (For instance, I originally was planning for Gargoyles to be completely made of stone and unable to heal, but that would of been a bit too extreme in my opinion, both in terms of advantages and disadvantages.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:32:43 pm by Jokaste »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Demon Fortress ⚡Freedom Forever!⚡ 1.0.1b
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:45:57 am »

Interesting. When I tried adding fliers, I was told to roll back with haste because they tended to get stuck on trees or whatnot.

Anyway, from experience in making the succubi, FIXED_TEMP is a great to provide protection against temperature, magma and such. Otherwise, you can make them 0% bashful so they do not mind seeing their clothing burnt off.

Somehow I also gave the succubi ultra hot blood that burns everything upon injuries, so what you want to do with imps should be easy.

The only things that was impossible was to give burning pets, caravans blew up either from cages or extracts..

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Demon Fortress ♥Make Love Not War♥ 1.1b
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:57:10 am »

Yeaaaaaaaah I have a feeling that flight on Gargoyles is going to be more bane than boon. They tend to fly into trees when training outside and doing some other tasks and then refusing to path down. I'll probably end up removing the flight token and make the optional patch add it back in rather than the other way around. (Although if vanilla DF is any indication, citizens are going to get themselves stuck up in trees regardless of having wings...)

And yeah, I've been playing around with the blood a lot. At one point I had basically superhot plasma as the Imp's blood that released as clouds of boiling magma when they bled but it wasn't quite what I had in mind so I removed it.

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Demon Fortress ♥Make Love Not War♥ 1.1.1b
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:14:57 pm »

this looks quite neat, I'll be sure to keep a folder with the latest update! My current fortress is slowly making it's way towards it's inevitable end anyway, either by FPS death or my idiocy opening up the HFS while my military is off chasing troglodytes.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Demon Fortress ♥Make Love Not War♥ 1.1.1b
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:21:37 pm »

Instead of flight, I prefer to go with Legendary climbing. It has almost the same effect, giving those races the ability to scale any wall.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Demon Fortress ♥Make Love Not War♥ 1.1.2b
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 06:24:08 pm »

Just an update everyone since it's been almost a week, I'm still working on this, imps are currently complete in terms of personality/skill gain rates. Just took a short break since the initial release was something like 1-2 days of straight working. Right now I'm working on a new reaction/workshop. I also plan on (hopefully) fixing Gargoyle skin for next release.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 07:42:02 am »

on the subject of trees if you're going to do fliers best slap a warning about "use minecart tracks to get them out of the tree saving both unit and tree also neat tree forts" 1 wall and one ramp could reach the tree line and save you pain of waiting to designate the next stairwell.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »

New update with changed to imps and gargoyles will hopefully go out tonight but it depends as the gargoyle issue is really kicking my butt here. I'm tempted to just change all of their tissues to something like steel or silver but I'm determined to get their skin to mimic the properties rather than just replacing it.

Roadmap to 1.2: Some sort of new reaction, maybe a new race. I'm kind of unsure as to what kind of reaction I want to include. I was working on a method of turning corpses into skeletal monstrosities but I'm not sure if that's what I'll do as I'm not very comfortable with them being citizens nor pets and there's no real go between. If I do go forward with it then they'll likely become dumb labor citizens, requiring no food, water, sleep and having all the typical properties of undead (minus opposed to all life) but being unable to learn, rendering them only useful as military fodder and haulers/cleaners and such. Of course, I'll also need to figure out how to actually turn a corpse into a citizen. :P

Anyways, just me musing, like I said, hopefully imps and gargoyles will be fixed tonight.

on the subject of trees if you're going to do fliers best slap a warning about "use minecart tracks to get them out of the tree saving both unit and tree also neat tree forts" 1 wall and one ramp could reach the tree line and save you pain of waiting to designate the next stairwell.

Yeah, when I update I plan on including a small section on removing FLIER from gargoyles if desired. I haven't noticed that much of a problem with them though, as other citizens (including dwarves) have proven very capable of getting themselves stuck in trees when running from those terrifying Giant Keas, regardless of having wings.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:38:22 pm by Jokaste »

Jokaste

• Bay Watcher
  • hOI!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Demon Fortress ♥Make Love Not War♥ 1.1.3b (04/13/16)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:19 pm »

Now updated! Imps have new personality and skill values, Gargoyles now have proper stone skin! I've also started including a more detailed changelog in the download which can be found in the Demon Fortress zip/folder, so check that out if you want a bit more information/insight.