Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: building a bridge crashes the game  (Read 1207 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
building a bridge crashes the game
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »

so i 've played for yuite some time and it seems that building a drawbridge crashes my game.
not the change of season or the growing of trees or anything, but the finishing of that darn drawbridge which is essential to keep the FUN at a nice level.

previously i asked why my game crashed and it was due to saplings growing into my workshops.
now all my workshops a re 10 levels below ground deep inside the rock layers.
so what kills my game now?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: building a bridge crashes the game
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:32:12 am »

You'll need to give more detail, I've built many drawbridges in this version just fine.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:23:32 am »

What version are you playing?
Death by sapling was fixed in 42.02, although this sounds very much like it.

Underground trees, or you've left a hatch or something outside where a tree can get at it in 40.24.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:11:13 am »

well, the majority of my fort lies 10 levels below ground, but my farm and still is only 2 levels below because of the soil or rather the lack of soil in the lower levels.
i cut most trees above that location, but maybe that's again death by sapling. because the roots could possibly grow downward through that structure.

can i assign dwarves to destroy saplings? and if yes: how?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:46:33 am »

roots only reach the level below the ground, not two levels dowN.
the easiest way to destroy saplings is to designate the building of a dirt road on each of the sapling tiles (or a larger road covering the area is they're close to each otheR). a more permanent solution is to build a floor or a paved roaD.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »

thanks, i'll see if that saves my fort from "death by sapling"

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 01:46:50 pm »

the sapling trick worked - until i decided to build the bridge. after bg, size and material selection, the game crashed instantly.

version 0.40.24.r5

tried it again, even making additional space under the bridge (channeling, removing ramps)
crashed while changing the size of the bridge.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:20:24 pm by Pvt. Pirate »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:58 pm »

the sapling trick worked - until i decided to build the bridge. after bg, size and material selection, the game crashed instantly.

version 0.40.24.r5

Version 0.42.02 has the changelog entry "Fixed crash from building constructions on tree leaves etc." which was supposed to fix bug 8719.  You are playing an older version which still has that bug.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:03:41 pm »

so this might be the result of items and/or ramps being below the bridge?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »

nO. this is not the tree bug, but something elsE. i would start with upgrading LNP to 0.40.24.r20, which I think is the latest onE. it's not impossible the relatively early DFHack version in r5 is to blamE. to upgrade, download the lastest stable LNP (which I believe is 0.40.24 r20, but check the pack's main page), install it beside your current DF, and then copy the save folder from your current installation to the new onE. start LNP by using the starter in the new folder, rather than the old onE.
you might also try to disable DFHack and all utilities (except the graphics pack) to see if the problem remains, but I see no reason to use old utilities, so I'd still upgrade to the latest LNP for that DF versioN.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »

i am using the latest LNP and i haven't changed any of the files. (can't wait until LNP with lates DF+DFHack is released)

i am also using DFHack with
-workflow production targets
-other automation plugins
-performance tweaks
-mouse control
-automatic job assignment

graphics is 1280x960 with TWBT Phoebus

2x2 embark

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 05:57:04 pm »

okay, it took the dorves 3 months to clear that spot from all items and remove the ramps.
building the bridge crashed it again.
i'll deactivate all DFHack plugins except mousecontrol and try again.

now it worked. maybe my DFHack is making trouble :(

i'll just redownload the latest LNP and copy the worlds and saves over.

it's resulting from the LNP:
"Warning: Plugin automaterial compiled for DFHack 0.40.24-r4-55-g3330225, running DFHack v0.40.24-r5-0-g3330225
Warning: Plugin mousequery compiled for DFHack 0.40.24-r4-55-g3330225, running DFHack v0.40.24-r5-0-g3330225
Warning: Plugin resume compiled for DFHack 0.40.24-r4-55-g3330225, running DFHack v0.40.24-r5-0-g3330225
Warning: Plugin twbt compiled for DFHack 0.40.24-r4-55-g3330225, running DFHack v0.40.24-r5-0-g3330225"

but that's the announced "stable" latest version.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:44:48 pm by Pvt. Pirate »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 06:16:12 pm »

Just like to point out a misconception. When the LNP calls itself 'stable version' it's referring to the pack itself and util compatibility not Dwarf Fortress. Df42.06 is much more stable than 40.24 and doesn't feature a crash that pretty much everyone playing fortress will run into at some point. Neither version however is truly 'stable', that's why it's an alpha game.

Upgrade. And just use the LNP for 42.06 if you need a pack.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:20:52 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:32 pm »

with 42.06 it works now. the same plugins active, but it didn't crash on bridge.