Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infection?  (Read 878 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infection?
« on: March 31, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »

One of my dwarves has had an infection for probably close to 3 years now (survived an encounter with fighting 2 alligators while trapped in the river that lasted probably a solid 2 months), and refuses to clean herself at the hospital, even though there's a well and more than enough soap. Another dwarf has also just recently gotten infected (despite being washed with clean water & soap) due to an Iron Spear somehow getting into the danger room, and she ALSO refuses to clean herself. Is there a way to make them go and clean themselves, or is it a lost hope?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infection?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »

Clean self doesn't do anything about infections (it's like taking a shower: the infection is inside, not on top of the skin). Cleaning at the hospital cleans the wound and might stave off infection, but might not, specially if the dorf doing the treatment prioritized playing golf. The chances increases with the water quality. I've heard speculations that injuring a dwarf in the infected body part might result in a hospital cleaning that gets rid of the infection, but I haven't heard any clear evidence. I've also heard infections can sometimes cause additional injury that results in a hospital visit for treatment (thus possibly resulting in a healing cleaning). Infections can heal spontaneously after many year, or just linger on. They can also result in the slow death of the victim, typically through some odd kind of blood loss [not the kind associated with two puncture marks on the neck].

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »

Infections in the ear, nose, or finger/toenails never heal, because in the vanilla raws those types of tissue do not have a healing rate set. I think if you add them in your saved raws, it will take effect, but I'm not 100% sure of it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:46:35 pm »

Upright spear triggered via lever can injure the infected, and should end up in a hospital for a diagnosis of the infected too right?

it's a Bloodletting of sorts.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:48 pm »

Eh, infection was cured via accidentally digging too far into an adamantine spire, solved that problem.
Had no Iron on that map anyway :/

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:34 pm »

Yes, clowns do make excellent disinfectants. They often sterilize entire fortresses.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:29 am »

Yes, clowns do make excellent disinfectants. They often sterilize entire fortresses.

Laughter cures all ailments! ;)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!