Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55

Author Topic: Wild Mages: Dominic, The Naked Mage  (Read 78285 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Wild Mages: Dominic, The Naked Mage
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »

Foreword

This game started as a part of testing roll queue mechanic over here. I ended up liking that test game enough to not want to scrap it after drawing conclusions of the system, so I figured out to make a full game out of it.

Setting

You are a mage specialized on wild magic, the only type of magic that exists. In your posession is set of near mythical Dice of Order. Myths tell that since beginning of the time Order and Chaos were in war with each other. Chaos was winning due it being... well, unpredictable. To combat this particular problem Order made the Dice to predict actions of Chaos and thanks to that it won the war.

Life of wild mages is usually short and violent, and so far you have been lucky to stay alive and normal. People usually don't like fellows who accidentally summon demons while trying to heal wounds, which is usually enough of justification to hunt and kill them on sight. That was before you found the Dice. Now in your hands the Dice is invaluable tool predicting how wild magic works on your spells.

Assume pre-gunpowder level society.

Rules

All actions that are not specifically casting wild magic follow standard RTD ruleset.

Quote from: RTD Standard 1.0 ruleset
    The GM (Game Master) posts a situation the players are in. The players then post their actions, according to the conditions GM sets. The GM then rolls for the actions' results, and writes them out in his post. Then the players post actions again, ad infinitum.

The action results are defined by a six-sided die roll:
    [1]: Epic Fail. Your efforts only worsened your situation.
    [2]: Fail. Your skills or luck were insufficient.
    [3]: Meager success: The situation didn't improve by as much as you have intended.
    [4]: Success: Your efforts were sufficient to achieve your goal.
    [5]: Epic Success: Your skills and luck have combined to ensure your success.
    [6]: Overshoot: Your efforts were more than required for the goal's completion, and your luck is such that unfortunate side-effects are inevitable.

If at any time something threatens a player, that player may make a roll to avoid the threat.

Each player receives list of prerolled dice (Dice of Order) which are used explictly for casting wild magic in order. You can see right away how your spell spell will roll and plan your spells accordingly. Any spell casting done through artifacts will not use roll queue. NOTE TO OLD PLAYERS: I'm ditching the concept of free picks. It was used only once and this works just fine without them.
Dice of Order is not source of magic. It is merely excellent tool to seek order in otherwise chaotic magic.

Quote from: Rules of wild magic
  One note about wild magic: It always works. Whenever you cast spell, something will happen.
  Another note about wild magic: It knows your mind. Trying to heal your enemies with 1 will buff them.

1. Results something actively malicious related to some aspect of your intented spell and usually of same magnitude.
  2. Produces effect related to some aspect of intented spell, but is not actively negative. It's nothing useful either.
  3. Something along your intention but not exactly or completely.
  4. Most boring kind of success.
  5. The best kind of success.
  6. As usual, this is an overshoot. Heal old dude and he also gets bodybuilder muscles.

Recap of events until now

The first five mages started in same village, each in their own house. Sixth mage had caused some damage with his magic and played it against others in order to gain their Dice. Villagers rose against mages and drove most of them out of town. One died early due a miscast and another charmed everybody on 30 miles radius.

Nakéen created a wife for himself out of magic and levitated his house up to sky. After that he accidentally summoned Advanced Antimagic Warfare Sentinel Model XI and had to abandon his house. After that he accidentally summoned fire elemental while trying snuff out budding forest fire he caused.

Whisperling teleported to his safehouse (ruins of old city). There he created mighty artifact; Whispering Staff of Earth which lets wielder manipulate everything on ground without fail: soil, sand, stone, metal and other minerals. He covered his safehouse in large stone dome and lit it with magical miniature suns. Then he summoned artifact and arm of some dangerous guy.

TheBiggerFish escaped in old fashioned way by running out of window. He asked purpose for his life from magic and got task to create entire new species. After creating one fine female specimen, he searched out for a fortress per request by the specimen. Soon he found one, really ancient and mysterious one, slightly ravaged by magic.

Crazyabe charmed everybody around him for starters. After trying to loot Dice of dead mage (and failing) he saved Nakéen and his magical wife from the fire elemental he summoned. The three enjoyed some enchanted food that sent them into magical equivalent of drug trip. Both mages gained real artifacts from the dream and crazyabe accidentally summoned sea monster which was promptly teleported away.

Joining

Let me know you want in. Provide name for your mage.
And if you so wish, perhaps also a situation where you found the Dice. Those are usually found in posession of other (dead) mages or deep in forgotten and dangerous ruins. If you don't then I'll either drop you in some ruins (totally not infested with traps or monsters) or near some freshly deceased mage whose body you can loot.

Players (6/6)

• AbstractTraitorHero - Cameron Michaelis
  • chaotic skies - "Chaotic Skies"
  • Nakéen - Soleus Arendar
  • Ozarck - Dominic Calhoun
  • Whisperling - Samuel Marr
  • TheBiggerFish - Arken Frost
Waitlist:
  • Cinder - Cinder Block
  • crazyabe - Zantheranthas Demoontharr
  • Bluexdog - Blank

Victims:
  • Dustan Hache - Turned his hands metal, knocked them off and bled to death
  • Elephant Parade - Caused earthquake, got buried under few tons of dirt and chocked to death
  • crazyabe - Accidentally alarmed remains of AAWS which separated him from magic, which caused suicidal depression.
  • Drunken Elephant - Demanded a tribute from some city. Executed by a marksman squad.
  • Bluexdog - Accidentally dissolved his body into liquid gold.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:43:14 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Mages
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:33:52 pm »

crazyabe, Nakéen, Whisperling and TheBiggerFish: Pick a name for your character unless you want to keep going with your forum name.

"Hm.  I wonder if it's safe to rest here.

Laudata, what do you think?"

If Laudata thinks it's safe, and I think it's safe, then yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
"I think it is fairly certain no one will come bother us here, my lord. Not if we don't make our presence known. And that" she points at the mysterious stone wall cutting fortress in half "doesn't seem to be moving. Of course it could be because here was no one left. If I may be so bold, perhaps your lordship should set up alarms just in case?"

[5] Laudata makes fair point. You have no way of knowing why was consumed only halfway through, but dust layer on it is equally thick as it is everywhere else which means it haven't moved for long time. And that is pretty good sign. Magic effects tend to fade over time no matter how much you reinforce it, and if your guess about age of this place is correct then any magic triggers have disappeared long time ago. You are 99% certain it is safe.
 You have equipment only for yourself, but if you use blanket as a bedroll then you both can have some insulation from cool stone. Laudata accepts the blanket gratefully. You share a meager supper and after finding suitable room you two settle down for night.

Wait, my skele-pen is an artifact and not just a gruesome writing implement? If it might actually do something useful, use that scroll I just made on it.

If not, just use on the bracer. I figure out what a thingamajig of power does either way.

The skeleton pen is artifact in sense that it is animated, it drains user's blood for ink and is clingy. Weak and rather mundane in application, but magical artifact nonetheless.

[6] The scroll disintegrates as you aim its effect on the bracer and knowledge flows into your head. Huh, this is a mining tool. Really, far too impressive for one. By pressing any of the glass orbs it generates 1.5 meters tall field in front of it. The field will rotate rapidly and shred anything it touches into small pebbles. Then you can just shovel pebbles into a cart and have them carried to furnaces. Much faster than using a pickax. It's called Calin's Shredder after its previous owner thought that's not its original name. Calin probably wants it back. He usually steers clear of mages, but this time one violated his personal space too badly. Even dared to steal from him! He'll send his organization to find the bastard mage who did it. And then he will perform his bloody art on the maggot before pushing him through Shredder. He's that kind of guy.

Spoiler: crazyabe - ?? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nakéen - ?? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whisperling - ?? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: TheBiggerFish - ?? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Town (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:40:48 pm »

Arken Frost.

Er, sleep well?  Dream pleasant dreams and all.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:52:43 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:43:49 pm »

((I'd love to join.))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:50:24 pm »

((Samuel Marr. Generally goes by Samuel, but the last name is there if he ever needs to sign a demonic contract.))

"You know, this Calin guy sounds like the perfect person to pound into the dust. Maybe it's time to take some preemptive revenge."

Firstly, create a ward which makes it impossible for anyone associated with Calin (or he himself) to notice me. Better safe than sorry.

Then use magic to combine my old pen with Calin's hidden blade. Shape them into a nasty dagger which can suck the blood of its victims at a truly phenomenal rate.

"Not nearly as quick a death as he deserves, but efficiency is important."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 04:54:34 pm »

((I want in mage name Cameron Michaelis and his mother had the dice with her she passed it down to him as she was a adventurer and wanted to make sure her son was ssfer from that chaos magic.))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59:48 pm »

((...................))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:32:49 pm »

(. . .)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:44:46 pm »

Waitlist, or join. Mage Dominic Calhoun. A mage's tower crashed to the ground several miles from my camping ground as I was hunting, and said mage fell a little closer to me - landing right on top of my tent while I was cooking sausages. The dice fell out of his hand and rolled to my feet.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 05:15:35 pm »

I'd like to join, if I can. Mage Chaotic Skies. That's not his real name; it's not even his first fake name. No one really knows much about his past, besides he found the Dice in his possession in a dungeon that was suspiciously close to a fallen mage's tower.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »

I wanna join!

Mage: Drunken Elephant

Drunken Elephant was simply walking down the road stomping on everyone when he "accidentally" stepped on an adventurer named Mother Michaelis a dice landed on his foot and he turned into an Elephantman now Mage Elephantman!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:46:06 pm »

((Name: Soleus Arendar))

"What happened here !"

Head toward the lamenting screams while looking at the surroundings with the Eye of Forbidden Sight to see if magic is at work here.

"Stay behind me dear" I say to Anna.

If I find wounded people, try to help them and tend to their wounds.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:49:38 pm by Nakéen »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 08:06:13 am »

Arken Frost.

Er, sleep well?  Dream pleasant dreams and all.
[5] It has been long day and tiring night. As soon as you lay down you fall asleep. When you eventually wake up, you feel well rested and ready to take on the world if needed!

((Samuel Marr. Generally goes by Samuel, but the last name is there if he ever needs to sign a demonic contract.))

"You know, this Calin guy sounds like the perfect person to pound into the dust. Maybe it's time to take some preemptive revenge."

Firstly, create a ward which makes it impossible for anyone associated with Calin (or he himself) to notice me. Better safe than sorry.

Then use magic to combine my old pen with Calin's hidden blade. Shape them into a nasty dagger which can suck the blood of its victims at a truly phenomenal rate.

"Not nearly as quick a death as he deserves, but efficiency is important."
4. Ward of Ignorance is deployed over the dome. Calin and everyone who is knowingly working with him is unable to detect it. Not that they would have easy time finding you or the Shredder anyway. Unless they have some ways to track it.

5. The skeletal pen and the knife merge together into rather dangerous looking weapon. Metal and bone are intertwined together, spinal column passing through the blade and forming the handle and most of the guard. Ribs have sunken inside metal and only very small openings are visible on edge. Guard is also basically bundle of ribs, and drained blood can be directed to squirt out of those at will, or it can be stored within the dagger for later use. Because it's handy when you can squirt few liters blood of your latest victim on face of next. Rest of the spine wraps itself around your arm and pulls the dagger inside your sleeve. It seems that when you move your hand in certain manner, the blade springs out for you to grab and stab.

It's a nice weapon, even if you say so yourself. All it needs is proper threatening name.

And let's say you slept off the night so you are on same time as others.

((I want in mage name Cameron Michaelis and his mother had the dice with her she passed it down to him as she was a adventurer and wanted to make sure her son was ssfer from that chaos magic.))
Only if you had known what your mom was hiding in her jewel box... Many troubles and akward situations could have been avoided altogether. And how much more powerful you would already be! But you can't change past mistakes, you can only aim to improve future.

[6] So far your trip has been nice and pleasant, but it seems a forest fire is threatening your current campsite. There wasn't fire when you went sleep. It can only mean some idiot somewhere is probably charred to ashes for not watching his or her camp fire.

(. . .)
I don't see any actions here.

((Name: Soleus Arendar))

"What happened here !"

Head toward the lamenting screams while looking at the surroundings with the Eye of Forbidden Sight to see if magic is at work here.

"Stay behind me dear" I say to Anna.

If I find wounded people, try to help them and tend to their wounds.

Let's say your enhanced drug trip lasted whole night so it's morning now.

"Only magic can explain upheaval of this scale." Anna offers her idea. "Which means there was some other mage. Be careful, love."

[3] You step out and find the ground is very soft. Your legs sink into soil halfway to knees, making walking rather strenuous experience. Anna wants to follow but she doesn't want to dirty the regal clothes she was born with, so she stays behind and you walk onwards. A glance behind reveals that door to the crazyabes magical house is nothing more than charred doorframe and piece of wall. Everything else is gone. High up on the sky is black dot size of your thumbnail. Probably your flying house. A peek through the Eye furthers supports that theory.
  You focus now on the voices and track them. Some come beyond the muddy river. Walking in that direction is probably equal to suicide so you stick on drier land, though calling it dry is rather generous. You climb and partially crawl over closest hill and watch around. The area is totally unkown, yet your house being high above claims this is still the same village. The original lake is gone, in its place is series of cliffs. The forest surrounding village is gone too as far as you can see (which is not far. Smoke and all.), all that remains is still burning treestumps. Destruction of the village is complete and total. You can only assume this was caused by magic being overtly hepful or overtly malicious, but you can't even begin to guess what intented was behind the original spell. Very large scale spell anyway, that much is clear.
  Most of the lamentation comes from root of the hill. You see a group of maybe 15 people hudded together, all naked and caked in mud. [4] You feel like going down here now may not be good idea. Your face is well known here,  and you are known to be a mage so walking down in good shape might just spark unnecessary violence. They may even assume this was your work.

Waitlist, or join. Mage Dominic Calhoun. A mage's tower crashed to the ground several miles from my camping ground as I was hunting, and said mage fell a little closer to me - landing right on top of my tent while I was cooking sausages. The dice fell out of his hand and rolled to my feet.
I'd like to join, if I can. Mage Chaotic Skies. That's not his real name; it's not even his first fake name. No one really knows much about his past, besides he found the Dice in his possession in a dungeon that was suspiciously close to a fallen mage's tower.
I wanna join!

Mage: Drunken Elephant

Drunken Elephant was simply walking down the road stomping on everyone when he "accidentally" stepped on an adventurer named Mother Michaelis a dice landed on his foot and he turned into an Elephantman now Mage Elephantman!
Into waitlist you go.

Spoiler: crazyabe - ?? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Town (click to show/hide)
Old sigs.
Games.

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:55:10 am »

(May I join the waitlist?)
No sig yet

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 11:20:19 am »

Try to recall any dreams, they might have meant something.

"Good morning."
Sigtext

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55