Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cancels Drink: Job item lost or destroyed  (Read 10015 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cancels Drink: Job item lost or destroyed
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:56:30 am »

Occasionally my forts get rashes of this job cancellation.  When I check the crime scene, there is a puddle of alcohol on the floor.  Is this somehow gameplay, like rodents eating through my barrels, or is this bugged behavior?  Is there any way to stop it?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cancels Drink: Job item lost or destroyed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:22:04 am »

You can probably remove it by removing all tavern personnel. Drunken tavern visitors spill drinks and go unconscious due to intoxication (and also vomit all over the place), being unconscious causes you not to be able to perform the job taken... Drinks serving can also lead to the tavern floor littered with the bodies of guests who suffocated on their own vomit.
Note that performers serve drinks just as well as tavern keepers, and are thus the main killers in a cautiously run fortress (but I don't think it shows up in their kill count).

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 06:48:04 am »

Drinks serving can also lead to the tavern floor littered with the bodies of guests key fortress craftsmen who suffocated on their own vomit.

FTFY
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 07:23:13 am »

You can probably remove it by removing all tavern personnel. Drunken tavern visitors spill drinks and go unconscious due to intoxication (and also vomit all over the place), being unconscious causes you not to be able to perform the job taken... Drinks serving can also lead to the tavern floor littered with the bodies of guests who suffocated on their own vomit.
Note that performers serve drinks just as well as tavern keepers, and are thus the main killers in a cautiously run fortress (but I don't think it shows up in their kill count).

I have no tavern personnel in this fort.  The occasion that finally got me to post this did happen in a tavern, but that isn't its limitation as I've seen it happen in drink stockpiles deep in a fortress.  It seems to happen in waves of 6-10 cancelations, sometimes all at once, other times spread out over a few days.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 07:26:26 am »

The actual error is probably due to someone moving the barrel the dwarf was on the way to drink from, leading to an object not found error  :)

If Urist McThirsty procs his "need drink" in the deep mines, and starts making his way to the tavern, Urist McBarkeep can proc his "serve drink" in the meantime and move the barrel McT wants his drink from.  Since McT focused on the object at a moment in time, and that object is no longer present, he has no way of knowing where it went, so when he arrives and it is not where he pathed to, he gives up.  "Need drink" then procs again, and he gets something from nearby.

Make sense?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 07:59:45 am »

It does make sense, but doesn't explain the puddle on the floor.  Unless it becomes a situation similar to bringing a container to the trade depot while something inside is forbidden.  i.e. If the "drinker" has the drink reserved and the hauler moves the barrel leaving the drink on the floor, then the drinker cancels the job.

So the next questions would be why, and how to prevent it?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:29:27 am »

If barrels work as bins, the tavern keeper accessing the barrel to fill a cup will lock Urist McThristy's attempt to access the barrel at the same time. I don't think tavern keepers actually move barrels (except as a regular food hauling job), but they do draw drinks from them. Similarly, trying to get food from a barrel someone else is accessing at the time also results in a lost cancellation message. I don't know if the drink job targets and reserves a specific part of the barrel's contents, rather than the barrel in general. If it doesn't, the tavern keeper draining the last of the barrel would also result in the drink being "lost".
Spilled drinks in the tavern are associated with intoxication, which is induced by tavern keepers targeting the weakest victims they can find to see if they can get those to drink themselves to death.
I don't care about that message, but if it's bothering you too much it ought to be possible to turn it off in announcements.txt (I've only modified that file to remove annoying pause-and-recenter from messages [yes, one of the caged GCS' has reverted. It's caged, so I don't really care]).

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 09:33:46 am »

It does make sense, but doesn't explain the puddle on the floor.  Unless it becomes a situation similar to bringing a container to the trade depot while something inside is forbidden.  i.e. If the "drinker" has the drink reserved and the hauler moves the barrel leaving the drink on the floor, then the drinker cancels the job.

So the next questions would be why, and how to prevent it?
Build several dining halls and food/booze storage rooms around your Fortress, ideally near key industries.  For extensive mining operations, assigning your Miners to a Dormitory at Z-100 or whatever is legit.  This has the benefit of reducing 'lost food/booze spam', and greatly improving efficiency.  Lastly, having multiple stockpiles acts as a safeguard in case your main room catches fire and all the booze explodes.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:03:19 am »

Again, no tavern personnel at all, so it's not tavern keepers over-serving.  It's also not the message that concerns me, it's the lost booze.  6-10 cancellations could easily be 100 units of booze spilled out for no apparent reason.  Right, right, just plant one more field and problem solved.  It's not that easy - we're dwarf fortress players.  We have to know why things occur, so we can either fix or exploit them.

This fort is still young, so my booze is still centralized.  In past forts when this has happened they have been in multiple stockpiles in locations all over.  But, the fact that they happen in clusters implies to me that it's happening when the job queue clears and everyone goes for a drink at the same time.  I plan month to month so my job queue clears once a month, but this doesn't happen every month, only 3-4 times a year.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 10:42:03 am »

Hmm.  Pasture some Cats in your Tavern to lick up all the spilled drink?  At least then it's not technically wasted :-\

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »

I've never seen puddles from this sort of cancellation, but I have seen the spam from barrels being moved.

I recommend finding a way to ignite the puddles for maximum enjoyment.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0