Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zombie invasion!  (Read 7263 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie invasion!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:13 am »

Since the nerf to zombies its not such a big of deal anymore. Just moderately trained dwarves could probably easily kill them.

Dwarves can kill anything, the problem is with surviving. I've been observing visiting soldiers, and generally they die to zombies, even if there are 2 zombies per one soldier. I saw only one killing of zombie by a human soldier, but he was then killed by another zombie. The reason was over-exertion. Another common reason of dying is losing consciousness because of pain. The visiting soldiers are rather low skill, but still, they should be able to do more. The zombies were armed and shielded, and apparently they retained their respective weapon skills.

Oh I dont disagree on the fact that there will be casualities. It just wont be as severe as it used to be when the zombies all had superdwarven powers and ran superdwarvenly fast. Or compared to even older versions where they just didnt die, but kept on coming endlessly unless you killed the necromancer or in the case of evil biomes, destroyed the body in some definite way (such as bridge crushing).
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 08:19:39 am »

Since the nerf to zombies its not such a big of deal anymore. Just moderately trained dwarves could probably easily kill them.

Dwarves can kill anything, the problem is with surviving. I've been observing visiting soldiers, and generally they die to zombies, even if there are 2 zombies per one soldier. I saw only one killing of zombie by a human soldier, but he was then killed by another zombie. The reason was over-exertion. Another common reason of dying is losing consciousness because of pain. The visiting soldiers are rather low skill, but still, they should be able to do more. The zombies were armed and shielded, and apparently they retained their respective weapon skills.

Oh I dont disagree on the fact that there will be casualities. It just wont be as severe as it used to be when the zombies all had superdwarven powers and ran superdwarvenly fast. Or compared to even older versions where they just didnt die, but kept on coming endlessly unless you killed the necromancer or in the case of evil biomes, destroyed the body in some definite way (such as bridge crushing).

Well, in comparison to older ones the current zombies are much more benign. They seem almost... human. I mean, they are indeed more squishy.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »

Well, in comparison to older ones the current zombies are much more benign. They seem almost... human. I mean, they are indeed more squishy.

All this talk about 0.34.x zombies brings back wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread that used to be associated with zombies, which, if not quickly dealt with, would become an unstoppable wall of reanimated flesh that completely eradicated your fortress. While they were kinda BS, I must say I still kinda miss the uber zombies, along with the unkillable giant sponges.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 09:51:05 am »

Yeah. I actually completely agree. Infact, gonna make it my sig.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »

It's been a while since I've tried it, but I've found that their zombie sense is not LoS.  Send a miner to dig under the zombie without breaching the surface, he'll notice and try to path to the dwarf, probably coming in through the front entrance (or your meat grinder, if that's what you left open) in the process.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:56 am »

To be honest, you'd be pretty bad at finding dwarves if most of your organs such as your eyes, ears and nose had rotted away to basic less-functional holes.

My own assumption for haplessness is that without these, they just fumble around waiting for vibrations either in the ground or loudish sound vibrations to pass through their skulls besides from far fetched theories such as supernatural extra sensory detection.

It's been a while since I've tried it, but I've found that their zombie sense is not LoS.  Send a miner to dig under the zombie without breaching the surface, he'll notice and try to path to the dwarf, probably coming in through the front entrance (or your meat grinder, if that's what you left open) in the process.

Mhmm.

You can't sneak up on zombies from memory in adventure mode either because they'll detect you and spin right round to kill you. Its probably sensory driven and or/magical, given that the necromancer probably serves as a spotter for coordinating zombie aggression as well as a leader.

Talking outside the scope of the game, to avoid detection from a DF zombie you'd need to be extremely quiet (no breathing/sound) move very slowly and likely have a smell of death or some kind of charm to hide your soul/vital life energies. (taking into reference a threetoe story detailing how a bite from the undead granted unparalleled vision of the living known as 'The Sight')
Pages: 1 [2]