Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Blank Slate - Turn 35 (Jul 7)  (Read 37062 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Blank Slate - Alternate Universe Exploration Game (looking for players)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 04:14:14 pm »

Will finish soon.

Spoiler: Réoris WIP (click to show/hide)
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 06:21:41 pm »

Okay, well, since we have the following potential players:

Coolrune206
DigitalDemon
Cinder
Pencil_Art
Mr. Zero
Sosuku234
WunderKatze

I guess it's time to leave some criticism.

@Coolrune, Mr. Zero: Not much to say here because you don't have a sheet/don't have anything more than a name.

DigitalDemon: Great background, I can see a lot of fun happening with the appearance modifications. I assume the character would be more skilled with guns than other weapons given the military background.

Cinder: Good. "Psionic module" is a bit vague. I'll have a lot of liberty in defining its properties that way, just letting you know.

Pencil_Art: Good stuff. Not much to say here, though the plasma weapon might not function as you intend.

Sosuku: Um, I'm not sure why you want to play as a 2016 human in a game that takes place in 42,000. Plus the whole "let's use criminals as explorers" meme is really old and it really doesn't make sense here since there isn't exactly a shortage of volunteers. And sending criminals thousands of lightyears away in a no-FTL univese isn't a high priority for most people.

WunderKatze: Here we go.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 08:14:51 pm »

Thank you for pointing out the obvious flaws in my sheet.

Spoiler: Halcyon (click to show/hide)

Tweaked the backstory. Tweaked the society's advancement.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Well, telekinesis would be a better descriptor, I suppose.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

chokepoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Room for one more? If not, waitlist me please.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"She killed grinder. Now she must take his place in The Plague!"

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's what the military background would provide. But she'd only use it if absolutely necessary, due to pacifism.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Here's a slight edit

Spoiler: Yin-xi Qian (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Room for one more? If not, waitlist me please.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sure, I haven't picked characters yet since I'm giving everyone a chance to finish their sheets.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it fine if I post a sheet now?

Spoiler: Brann Montoya (WIP) (click to show/hide)
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, one works. To everyone else: Sorry for the large delay before starting. I've decided to pick:

Spoiler: Yin-xi Qian (click to show/hide)

Sorry Sosoku234, it was bit of a tough decision.

I'll have the first post up shortly (short is a relative term). If someone doesn't reply in a day or two I'll swap that person out with Sosuku.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:47:49 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile

It's okay. I understand completely. Next time.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 0
Slowly you awaited your fate. You set out for the point of no return, approaching your destination from above (that is, the rotational axis). Your destination: The antiverse beyond the ring singularity.

It all happened suddenly. The viewscreens showed a black void, surrounded by blazing interstellar gas accreting in a disk around the core. Reports cut out just as the ship passes the horizon, just as the universe shrinks into a tiny blue dot behind you. Had the ship been destroyed by scorching heat and immense tidal forces, you wouldn't be awake now after-the-fact. But unless this life flashing before your eyes, you're still alive. There really is something beyond the horizon.

Those of you that hadn't entered cryo-sleep soon found themselves on the floor, in darkness, having apparently gone unconscious for an indeterminate length of time. As you stumble your way through your room and pick up a flashlight, you discover that not everything is the same as it once was.

The smartscreen is basically a laptop/tablet, except that it reads your eyes and body language and uses a predictive algorithm to minimize the need for physical touch-based controls. It still has a mouse and keyboard folded behind the screen, and it comes on a stand with magnetic treads that it can use to move around and stick to the walls.

Spoiler: Dictionary (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Basic Ship Layout (click to show/hide)

The void beckons! It seems, however, that your equipment is malfunctioning. Your environment armor feels heavy and more flexible than it used to be. The servos seem dead, not actively resisting movement when unpowered like they're supposed to. The helmet viewscreens do not activate, but they are transparent so you don't have to remove them to see. Your sidearm doesn't look damaged, and it seems to have power, so there's a chance it will work.

...if you need it, that is. Right now it seems that the ship's power supply is offline, as well as the backup generator in the factory module (located 'up' the main ladder), AS WELL as the batteries. It's pitch black. You are currently in your quarters, next to a cryo-bed (can be used as a normal bed), a vertical locker containing your armor and equipment, a desk with a ship network jack. The desk should also have a smart screen on it, which would have noticed you being awake and turned itself on by now. It hasn't, and using your flashlight you can tell it isn't there.
The door to your quarters is open. A faint noise of howling wind can be heard, but even with your acute senses you can't tell where it's coming from. Nearby are the rooms of Brann and Réoris, both closed.

Your whip seems to have developed a tendency to clasp at things on its own. That's rather unsettling. Fortunately, when you roll it up it tends to only clasp onto itself, making storage convenient.

The other things in your room seem to be fine. Your room was modelled differently than the others, having a flatscreen television instead of a smartlamp and a rather comfy sofa on the other side that you often used as a bed during the trip here. You have a chests to the right of the sofa which stores your equipment. It's supposed to be locked by the room's gatekeeper core, which watches your movements and unlocks things for you but not for other people. That core is supposed to have a sensor hub in the middle of the ceiling, but that seems to be gone and replaced with what look like tree roots.
The chest is unlocked though, and you have access to your hooks, ropes, backpacks, lamps, and three hat drones connected to your normal hat which has a retinal display on the lower brim along with a brainwave reader that allows you to control the high-tech aspects of your gear.

The hat's display seems to be malfunctioning. However, attempting to boot the hat drones results in the characteristic whirring and fluttering that you'd expect. One of them soars above the chest, hovering in place, and you can control it by drawing mental paths in your head. So far, so good, but they're not too useful for reconnaissance while the retinal display on your hat is busted...
Adam's and Réoris' rooms are near yours, out in the hall.

When you went to check on your armor, you came to the unwelcome surprise that the fearsome patterns on the armor have been transmogrified into alien and human skulls. The underlying material of the armor seems to have disappeared, leaving only a shell of bone. It certainly harbors a menacing appearance, but you've yet to discover how it fares in combat.
You can't find your pistol in your locker. You find a pistol crossbow instead.

Your room was located next to the library reserve, and has a door leading directly in. Other people have to enter through the hall. However, someone seems to have opened the door to the reserve while you were out.
The library is a VR-enabled space with a mainframe in the center that has eight screens you can remove and mount anywhere in the room. There are tables and chairs set up around and the walls are supposed to take on relaxing shades and patterns to facilitate reading, along with cancelling noise if the users so desire--it's possible for two people in the same room to have an argument while a third reads in peace, never hearing a word of it.

However, the walls are currently displaying a ghastly mist in the room (without power?). Combined with the lack of lights in your room and the halls of the ship, and the eerie silence with it... you're not sure whether the mainframe is playing a trick on you or not. The screens are blank, whereas normally if you had walked into the room they would have flipped to a list of your preferred readings.

The men, robots, and other assorted beings that provided you with this ship decided to style your room after an ancient scribe's study. There is a big, mahogany desk filled with papers and stacked on top with feather pens and blank parchment. A bed modelled after one of those covered Victorian beds can function as a cryo-bed, the top half coming down on you when you tell it to by voice. The rest of the office is meant to evoke a sense of being inside a Gothic cathedral. The walls are virtual reality panes, containing sensors which track your position and the location of your eyes, projecting an image of a sunlit stained-glass wall in a spacious chamber while you are awake, and when you sleep it simulates a sunset. There is supposed to be a guardrail along the edges so as to not give you the illusion of being able to walk out.

Supposed to be, at least. Looking down you see a checkered floor several stories below you and empty pews, old and covered with dust and cobwebs. The floor is stained with dirt and rot, and you can make out the outlines of creeping vines working their way up the walls. The guardrails are gone and the wind seems to be blowing. One of the windows on the wall is cracked, revealing a sky that is gray and hazy.

Your mutagen and disinfectant.
They've turned into plants. The mutagen looks like herbs stuffed into glass vials. The disinfectant seems to have escaped entirely, leaving dry and cracking leaves scattered inside your coat pockets.

Your room is conveniently located next to the sickbay and next to Yin's room. The library reserve can be found after a short walk down the hall (The floor can slide you over if you don't feel like walking. When it's powered at least...) and the galley is up a bit further.
It's dark, but you find a flashlight and manage to locate everything in the room. Though your papers and books seem to have been untouched, your smartnote paper (pieces of paper that you can write on by thinking) seem to have all formed pictures of maids and butlers. Also, your smartscreen seems to have gone missing. It's supposed to be there on your desk, and it would be useful to ask it what's going on right about now, but it's gone. You find that your door's been unlocked, and that the halls are dead quiet, and pitch black. A pleasant smell fills the air.
Your hair seems to be trying to decide what color to be.

You get the feeling that your arm is somehow lightheaded. Flexing it and moving your fingers, it seems more dextrous than before, and the touch sensors have certainly improved. And then you get out a light. Something isn't right.
The arm, which had once been made of metal, is now flesh and blood. You feel a force welling up in your forearm, and discover (accidentally) that extending it causes the telekinesis module to activate, forcing whatever there is in front of it away. You can also pull stuff by balling your hand into a fist and making a pulling motion.

Locating a flashlight, you notice that your smartscreen fell down somewhere. You probably knocked it down with your telekinesis arm. If it really has been a long time since you went out, though, it could have run out of battery. Normally it would have woken up as soon as it detected non-sleep brainwave patters and asked you how well you slept.

Your room is next to Soreli's, and near the sickbay. You smell something fragrant coming from the hall, and hear a faint clicking below the floor. Actually, the floor seems to be creaking underneath you. If you gave it a good enough punch it might break.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blank Slate - Turn 0
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 01:47:39 am »

Hansel looks around for the power supplies of the screens, and tries to run a routine check to make sure all programs in the library are running okay, before  taking a look at the rest of the ship. "How odd. Well, better make sure the systems are running alright."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:56:01 am by Pencil_Art »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 02:15:43 am »

"Jesus Christ. Of course, a power outage, and I'm still alive." Her hair settles on a blazing red, as she's pretty fed up for the most part.

Soreli heads out, into the corridor, checking both ways with her flashlight. Her hair is now a light-grey colour, signifying fear.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 02:36:01 am »

"Old friend." they greeted their mysteriously-regenerated arm. Yin-xi resisted the urge to flex it more, lest something would fly over and smack them in the face-mask.

Yin-xi kept their stun-staff readied though they were quite relaxed knowing that they didn't get instantly pulverized on entry into the Antiverse. The clicking below the floor can be investigated later when people won't get confused by them trying to break part of the ship.

With the flashlight in hand, Yin-xi went out into the corridor to make sure everybody else was fine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24