Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No plaster powder (solved)  (Read 2603 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No plaster powder (solved)
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:19:00 am »

For some reason my dwarf won´t make plaster powder. I´ve got a magma kiln and everything needed. I have lots of gypsum, bags a Hospital zone with chests, cabinets, bags. Just in case I´ve also made some charcoal and a regular kiln. The "make plaster powder" option is white on my kiln, and dwarfs will make anything there, like clay pots, mugs, etc. No message of any missing material or condition shows up. But for some reason they are not making that damn plaster, and for the eye of Armok I swear my fortress could make a good use out of it. I have like 5 of my main miners and some engravers and farmers agonizing with limbs mangled beyond recognition, and bones coming out everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:29:55 pm by Ezekhiel2517 »
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No plaster powder
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:31:03 am »

Check the job queues on the kilns themselves? Make sure you have a furnace operator handy (as opposed to a potter)?

You should be getting an error message if the problem is a missing ingredient...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gypsum_plaster

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:53:38 am »

Check the job queues on the kilns themselves? Make sure you have a furnace operator handy (as opposed to a potter)?

You should be getting an error message if the problem is a missing ingredient...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gypsum_plaster

I do have a furnace operator handy ( I´ve queued some charcoal on my wood furnace just to try it, and he showed up immediately to work). And no error message shows up. The kiln job queues looks just fine, the make plaster powder option is there, just waiting for someone to take the job. I´ve also tried the "do it now" option but nothing happened
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:30 am »

Have you checked the workshop availability ?
It could be out of your burrow ? Maybe a door is locked and prevents access ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 02:11:18 pm »

Or the standard problem, i.e. stockpiles linked to the kiln with gypsum, but not bags.

The way I usually deal with it, as I rarely am able to make plaster, is to make traction benches and splints.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »

Whenever I use the dfhack command "fastdwarf," my dwarfs tend to become lazier. Have you used fastdwarf?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:47:06 pm »

Have you set a manager profile on the kiln which excludes your wood burner from working there?

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »

Ok I´ve fixed it, it was my mistake. I assumed that my furnace operating dwarves had to be obviously with "furnace operator" job activated. But instead they all were "wood burners" workin at a furnace, not furnace operators per se. So I checked in my dtherapist and then I realized that. I just set some dwarves to furnace operators and voila! problem solved. Me and half a dozen patched up dwarfs thank you all for your help!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:42 pm »

Ok I´ve fixed it, it was my mistake. I assumed that my furnace operating dwarves had to be obviously with "furnace operator" job activated. But instead they all were "wood burners" workin at a furnace, not furnace operators per se. So I checked in my dtherapist and then I realized that. I just set some dwarves to furnace operators and voila! problem solved. Me and half a dozen patched up dwarfs thank you all for your help!
Anytime. Glad to be useful.  :)