Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts Can't Climb  (Read 1802 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts Can't Climb
« on: April 03, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »

So, I opened up cavern 3, and immediately learned of a forgotten beast. It looked, and notice it was sitting in the branches of a spore tree in the middle of a subterranean lake. Nearby is the corpse of another forgotten beast.

I'm guessing it's going to stay there for the remainder of the game. Is this a reported bug?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts Can't Climb
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:39 pm »

Not necessarily.  If the critter is a Blob or something else without appendages, then it can't climb.  Another possibility is the other Beast blasted it into a tree and damaged all its' hands, rendering it unable to climb.  Or possibly it just likes hanging out in that tree.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 01:56:21 pm »

Not necessarily.  If the critter is a Blob or something else without appendages, then it can't climb.  Another possibility is the other Beast blasted it into a tree and damaged all its' hands, rendering it unable to climb.  Or possibly it just likes hanging out in that tree.
It's a humanoid anteater, and think it is unscathed, though I'll double check that to be sure.

It's also blowing endless streams of webbing into the lake. This is quite a mental image, while my dwarves are a few hundred feet away, hauling off the blasted remains of two other forgotten beasts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:02:44 pm by mirrizin »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 02:20:16 pm »

It's not really an inability to climb, but a brain deficiency that causes them to fail to realize they should climb down (a.k.a. pathing), i.e. another symptom of the "dwarf stuck in trees" issue. It happens with dralthas and just about anything else that can end up in a tree (probably excluding flyers: they tend to freeze motionless in the air instead).

There are 2½ ways to get it down (probably more):
- Remove the tree underneath it by firing a ballista arrow at the tree to disintegrate it (the one I usually use).
- Use the DFHack script "teleport" to move it sideways to fall down.
- Engineer a cave-in on top of it. That will just kill it, while the rock will remain suspended by the tree with the body beneath it (perfectly fine unless you intend to eat it). To ensure success you should shape the bottom of the cave-in block to fit perfectly on the tree, or the cave-in will probably be suspended by the highest twig/branch/stem.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:59:27 pm »

I decided to station some marksdwarves nearby and see if I could pincushion it to death.

Stairs were dug, fortifications were carved, marksdwarves got into position and punched it so full of holes it fell into the lake...

And promptly climbed back to tis spot on the spore tree and resumed sitting, even while being fired upon by an entire squad.

That's when I noticed that this particular beast was made of mud.

I figure I'm content to let the thing sit where it is as long as it doesn't leave, which it does not seem inclined to do.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »

Make it a tourist attraction. Seal it in with a ring of windows and build an "o" shaped room around it. Make the room a tavern. Promote the beast to the role of fort mascot.
Bonus points for the tavern name being something appropriate.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »

Make it a tourist attraction. Seal it in with a ring of windows and build an "o" shaped room around it. Make the room a tavern. Promote the beast to the role of fort mascot.
Bonus points for the tavern name being something appropriate.
There's an idea.