Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?  (Read 25413 times)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?
« on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:25 am »

Hey Guys,

I just noticed this game on Steam and pressed the buy button. I don't know anything about it but the trailer/gameplay video looked like a cross between Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne. So can't be too bad right?

Anyway, 3 hours left to get that sweet -10% off :p

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311690/

I'll report back once I actually played this 8)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:44:41 am »

Cautiously interested in this, I'll wait and see what people here think before buying.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:00:00 am »

So I played this for 60 minutes now :)

First impression: Very good actually. Very polished. It's funny too :D. It looks and feels cleaner than Nuclear Throne, that's for sure. (NT is still a great game tho).

First run I died to the second boss, which was some kind of bullet shooting snake.

On the second run I got to level 4, found a grenade launcher, which unfortunately did not work with my electrify modifier that I found earlier, but it was a great weapon anyway. The boss, some kind of gigantic bullet shooting wall, owned me quickly tho.

Back to the game now. So far thumbs up for this game, I like what I see so far.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:24 am »

Looks interesting! I still need to try Nuclear Throne, though... man I have fallen behind on my gaming. >.>

This is also on PS4. I will have to consider whether I should buy it on Steam, or convince my housemates to pitch in and buy it on console so we can play local multiplayer, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:27:30 am »

I am really liking it, even though I make a bunch of stupid mistakes on the bosses (and dying) despite not taking a single hit in the level preceding them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:25:35 am »

Been playing this all night with my brother, and it's really quite fun. Only thing would be actual co-op characters, and not just having to be The Cultist, because although they are cute, The Hunter is still rad looking.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:48:39 am »

This is a fun game.

First of all, this is the best looking purely sprite based game I've ever seen, bar none.  Watch how all the debris and spent bullet casings get thrown around when you use a blank.  That being said they clearly tried to come up with an original looking alternative to Nuclear Throne's rotating guns, and the result looks stupid if you look down (or up with a large weapon).

At first, I thought the gun design was just bad.  There are a lot of really poop guns that are medium range, medium accuracy, medium damage that are all functionally the same except for a visual gimmick (like a pixelated letter "r" that fires the word "bullet").  But buried underneath that are some really spectacular designs.  Not just the explosives and crossbows you'd expect from Nuclear Throne either.  I found a "trick gun" that's a ricocheting pistol that turns to and from a shotgun every time you reload.  Just holding the thing made me feel like a badass.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:03 pm »

I'm dying all the time now on floor 2 or 3.

Can't believe I made it to floor 4 in one of my first runs when I got this game yesterday. How the hell did that happen?
This game is quite hard.

Anyway, I feel like some of the weapons are a bit underpowered, but I'm not sure. I had a music gun or something that'd just shoot waves of sound toward the enemies. It shot really fast but dealt *very* little damage. Also I seem to only find a few modifier-items like electricity or flame upgrade for my shots. It's usually only guns in the chests. Maybe that'll change with future unlocks.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:17:00 pm »

I haven't gotten through floor 2 yet.  I can handle the common enemies fine but the bosses are kicking my ass.  Especially a certain medusa themed one.

Can confirm that there are powerful weapons in the game.  Some of the common ones aren't much better than marine's sidearm tho.  Which type of chest you open affects what you get.  Ordinary chest has a tendency to drop mediocre use items/modifiers and lame guns.  Silver and gold chest tend to give higher tier guns.  Green chests I'm... actually not sure.

There's also a fairly common way to turn bad guns into money, but I'll leave you to find that out on your own :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:48 pm »

You can also turn bad guns into new guns, two for one.

In other news, I keep having trouble getting through the Oubliette. Mostly because I need two keys to get to it, and I primarily play as the Marine, who has no easy way to get more keys, so I often end up with only one weapon besides the sidearm (from the first boss fight), and often low on health as well (because I'm not quite good enough yet >_>).

On that note, it's probably a good idea to shoot every chest you see a few times before you open them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »

The boss fights are starting to grate.  The Gatling Gull's stupid unskippable intro takes as long as the average Nuclear Throne boss fight, and the boss fights themselves take about as long as an entire area in Nuclear Throne.  Plus, most of the gear in the game doesn't help against bosses and most of the weapons have similar single target DPS, so they're about the same every time you do them.  Even blanks and armor, which were clearly meant to be used against the screen filling attacks, don't help much because you don't get enough of them.

Most of the attacks need to be dodged in a very scripted way.  Several of them can be circle strafed most of the time but if the RNG doesn't cooperate will just *barely* clip you right at the end unless you dodge.  Others require you to make fine movements that WASD isn't quite up for, such as the Bullet King's spin attack which basically requires you to pick a direction and then rapidly tap one of the movement keys.  Every boss has a circular or semicircular wave attack that is just "press RMB not to die".

I feel like their health bars could be chopped in half and then they'd be MAYBE tolerable.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:44 pm »

I found they started to grate a bit, then stopped as I really got used to them. Only real problem is quite a lot of the guns you tend to find early are about as effective as the starting weapons against the bosses, which means they often take ages to kill. But if their health was lower any good gun would tear them apart in seconds, and be over before it sends enough attacks to potentially kill you. For instance I got a scrambler from the first boss in my most recent game and that is just broken as all hell (for those who haven't seen it it shoots a bullet than upon hitting something breaks into a ~5 small bullets that seek out enemies to hit). I just fire it as much as I can while focusing on dodging, preferably in the rough direction of the boss, and 30 seconds later it's dead. I cleared the 2nd and 3rd floor bosses (I'd never even gotten to the 3rd floor boss before) with ease. Don't have to worry about ammo either as I'm playing the marine.

I would dearly like to be able to skip the intros though. That and a lot of the early guns need to be a bit better. The marine's basic weapon is legit better than most of them (mostly because it has a low spread), and the hunter starts with the crossbow which is actually really good (accurate, decent rate of fire, solid damage) so half the classes have barely any reason to use a lot of the guns imo.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 09:57:17 pm »

The Gatling Gull's stupid unskippable intro
You can skip boss intros, though. Just press (default) E.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:50 pm »

The marine's basic weapon is legit better than most of them (mostly because it has a low spread)
Or maybe it's because, I dunno, the Marine has that military training passive? :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 11:50:05 pm »

Well I came to that conclusion while playing the marine so that passive was affecting the other guns as well.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8