Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?  (Read 25313 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Enter the Gungeon - Isaac meets Nuclear Throne?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 02:25:41 am »

I have to say I somehow like playing the Marine the most. Even though it presents the most logistical challenges (no reusable maybe-lockpicks of the Pilot, no random extra drop every 2-3 rooms from the Hunter's dog, not even an extra weapon and offensive active item that the Convict has), somehow that sidearm and military training end up being highly valuable.

The real reason why the Marine's sidearm is so effective, besides the accuracy, is its clip size. Firing accurately, it's enough to off 3 Bullet Kin. Two full clips kill a Gun Nut (the big brute with the red sword). It's just a great all-round weapon, exactly because the Marine starts off so deprived of good gear.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 03:27:46 am »

I like the hunter for the regular heals and because the crossbow feels very familiar after playing, well, its in the thread title.  Its fricken annoying to miss a bullet kin 3 times in a row at mid range with the crosshairs on him tho.  Fortunately its not that common and the crossbow does decent DPS even to bosses.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 03:47:05 am »

Just reached the Forge (Floor 5) for the first time! Yay!

Played as the hunter and got very lucky with hp and armor drops. Found some very good weapons, too. Unfortunately the level 4 boss (gigantic wall) dropped me to 1 hp. Died quickly after 3 rooms or so on floor 5 then.

Anyway, I feel like the "permanent unlocks" you buy with the green currency are really good and allow you to progress further in the game. Of course they still have to drop but you know, if you unlocked a lot it increases the chance for one of them to actually show up :)

Have 14 hours playtime now and I only unlocked 2 out of 48 achievements. Some of them are stupid of course but it just goes to show that there is a lot of hidden content in the game. I haven't even unlocked all the NPC yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 04:35:50 am »

So ah, it might be that we're getting closer to summer and I'm in California, or it might be that I'm using a laptop but... my computer can't run this game at high settings.  I turned it down and suddenly everything felt so much more more fluid and fair :/

Also I just beat the second floor and currently have 6 guns, 6 passives, and 2 actives.  I'm playing as the pilot, naturally :D
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 04:48:01 am »

You should just lower the resolution. The sprite graphics being what they are you're not going to notice much difference, just make sure to select the scaling mode that results in the least distortion (i.e. Force Pixel Perfect). You probably have a laptop more powerful than my tablet, and I'm running 1280x720 on the default High settings just fine.

edit2: actually, if you're willing to take your monitor to uncharted territories, you can go into the game's settings and manually set the resolution to the resolution the game is drawn at. It lists 1920x1080 (16:9) as pixel perfect. I went and set it to half that, 960x540. Game runs fullscreen with no borders and perfect framerate now.

edit3: The config file to do so it at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\Dodge Roll\Enter the Gungeon , file with the extension ".options". These two lines will do it:
    "preferredResolutionX": 960,
    "preferredResolutionY": 540,
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:15:31 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 10:20:21 am »

I like the game, but it's screwing with my vision somehow. Not sure what it is but i get blurry eyed if I play it for more than an hour. I have the exact same issue with nuclear throne. I have no problem with regular bullet hell games, so not sure what is causing it.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 06:42:29 pm »

Have you tried turning down the screen shake in the options?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »

no, I'll try it out maybe that's it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 08:11:24 pm »

Got a gun called "mahogany".  Its a wooden grenade launcher, that fires wooden grenades.  Which explode.  And also little leafs that can hurt people.  WTF were the devs smoking when they made this game?  Pretty good gun tho, slightly worse than other launchers but has a whopping 350 ammo to compensate.

Found out if you beat a boss without getting hit you get a new, filled, heart on your bar.  Knowing that makes convict even worse than she previously was tho... also explains why blanks cost almost as much as a heart in the shop.  I'm not sure if armor counts as getting hit; if it doesn't that gives marine a nice advantage.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 08:17:02 pm »

I'm not sure if armor counts as getting hit; if it doesn't that gives marine a nice advantage.
It counts for the mastery items.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 09:40:47 pm »

Got a gun called "mahogany".  Its a wooden grenade launcher, that fires wooden grenades.  Which explode.  And also little leafs that can hurt people.  WTF were the devs smoking when they made this game?  Pretty good gun tho, slightly worse than other launchers but has a whopping 350 ammo to compensate.
Did you find the "lower case r" yet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:47:41 pm by Blaze »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 09:43:21 pm »

Well, the ammoconda has become the bane of my existence currently.

But I found this
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:21 am »

Did you find the "lower case r" yet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FTFY

Well, the ammoconda has become the bane of my existence currently.

But I found this
Yeah, Ammoconda is pretty difficult. And that game can be really good for getting some quality items, if you're any decent at it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:38:24 am by DigitalDemon »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 09:43:37 am »

"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 10:35:34 am »

I is buying this game now

*Five minutes later*

I am disappointed that there is no secret character for killing a boss with the R.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8