Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Adventure Quest! The Succession Legend Reborn.  (Read 16003 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Quest! The Succession Legend Reborn.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »

In the morning, Aquos gets further evidence of this town's craziness: the tavern's current entertainment is a baby babbling about things it is almost certainly too young to understand. He decides it is not too early to start drinking.

Completely done with this town, Aquos leaves to the west to head for the kobold lair.

The lair turns out the be larger than he thought, an actual cave in rock rather than a burrow in the dirt. He backstabs the kobold near the cave's mouth and moves inside.

There is little of note in the cave, until it suddenly opens to a massive cavern.

Aquos explores a while and kills two more kobolds without any trouble, but can't find anything worthwhile and decides not to get lost in these dark caverns. He returns to the surface and looks at his map. The bandit camp of Oraclespiral is nearby, though he would like an ally or two to face those trained killers. He decides to go back to a hamlet. On the way, he gets an uneasy feeling.

Troglodytes. An unarmed one who runs straight at Aquos and falls almost instantly.
Spoiler: One-sided fight. (click to show/hide)

Then...it is quiet. Not a soul is around him. Why did an inexperienced, unarmed, normally cave-dwelling thing attack him alone?

The sun is setting, and Aquos was still some ways away from the hamlet he was heading for, Charmbakes. He is starting to fear The Night. Luckily, nothing happens in the brief time he was alone in the dark.

Aquos steps into one of Charmbakes' houses and asks to stay for a night, but something surprises him. The villagers call him ”the Green Emancipation of Gems.” (Elquesa Ves) He has earned a nickname for his exploits. Not a particularly flattering one, but a reputation is a reputation. Perhaps that fellow with the bow would finally agree to accompany him?

Sigh. Time to go to sleep.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 05:50:22 pm »

Great updates! I also had a nice encounter at the gates of a random town with one of my adventurers. A zombie *bleeping* giant lion. It didn't end up very well.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 08:33:35 pm »

In the morning, Aquos gets further evidence of this town's craziness: the tavern's current entertainment is a baby babbling about things it is almost certainly too young to understand. He decides it is not too early to start drinking.

Completely done with this town, Aquos leaves to the west to head for the kobold lair.

The lair turns out the be larger than he thought, an actual cave in rock rather than a burrow in the dirt. He backstabs the kobold near the cave's mouth and moves inside.

There is little of note in the cave, until it suddenly opens to a massive cavern.

Aquos explores a while and kills two more kobolds without any trouble, but can't find anything worthwhile and decides not to get lost in these dark caverns. He returns to the surface and looks at his map. The bandit camp of Oraclespiral is nearby, though he would like an ally or two to face those trained killers. He decides to go back to a hamlet. On the way, he gets an uneasy feeling.

Troglodytes. An unarmed one who runs straight at Aquos and falls almost instantly.
Spoiler: One-sided fight. (click to show/hide)

Then...it is quiet. Not a soul is around him. Why did an inexperienced, unarmed, normally cave-dwelling thing attack him alone?

The sun is setting, and Aquos was still some ways away from the hamlet he was heading for, Charmbakes. He is starting to fear The Night. Luckily, nothing happens in the brief time he was alone in the dark.

Aquos steps into one of Charmbakes' houses and asks to stay for a night, but something surprises him. The villagers call him ”the Green Emancipation of Gems.” (Elquesa Ves) He has earned a nickname for his exploits. Not a particularly flattering one, but a reputation is a reputation. Perhaps that fellow with the bow would finally agree to accompany him?

Sigh. Time to go to sleep.

Use "spread rumor" to tell him you killed the kobold or him and by extension no one else, will know you did.

Also tell them you "slew" it not "it attacked you". otherwise they won't know you killed it. You are telling them the wrong things.

Once they know you "slew" the giant dingo then you will get a real reputation and that guy will join you.
Think like real life, you have to tell people you killed things or show them the body or part of the body and then the rumor spreads from there.

Its so irritating to me seeing people try these things and not know that its not a bug and they are just saying the wrong things.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:41:07 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 01:35:36 am »

You'd think it would spread enough rumours to leave a hotel room thrashed with a corpse inside, but guess not. The problem is, slaying the dingo isn't in the list of rumours I can spread. Imgur refuses to upload so I can't give a screenshot right now, but both above and below the 'attacked' rumour is just encounters with wildlife.

What should I do?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 01:35:29 pm »

You'd think it would spread enough rumours to leave a hotel room thrashed with a corpse inside, but guess not. The problem is, slaying the dingo isn't in the list of rumours I can spread. Imgur refuses to upload so I can't give a screenshot right now, but both above and below the 'attacked' rumour is just encounters with wildlife.

What should I do?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quest
I am an indie game dev!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:51 am »

Just noting IcyTeas deadline is 1st may.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:08 am »

In the morning, Aquos decides his adventures aren't appreciated enough, and starts spinning a story about the zombie giant dingo. It goes well in the beginning, but he starts stumbling near the end.

The overall performance was acceptable, but the bowman he talked to yesterday still wouldn't respect him. Frustrated, he decides to tell the stories of every other notable kill he has made thus far. The bowman is still not impressed, but maybe someone else would be?

Nope.

Aquos leaves north for the bandit camp, alone. The road there is uneventful. He sneaks upon the camp. Nine men. A spear, a pike, two crossbows and 4 wrestlers. The one who looks like a leader has a bow. Two wrestlers and a crossbowman are asleep while the other crossbowman strays from the group. Aquos will have to take a stealthy approach.
Spoiler: Camp. (click to show/hide)

The stray crossbowman seems like an obvious target. Aquos stabs him, but a wrestler notices him. No worries.
Spoiler: Not really a fight. (click to show/hide)

Aquos grabs his victims' coin puches and a few bolts for throwing from the crossbowman's quiver. He approaches the camp again under the cover of the rain. The pikeman notices him, but runs away without alerting the others. What a coward.

Their leader has her back turned to him. He takes the chance.

Of the bandits still around, only a wrestler is awake. He goes for the sleeping spearman. The spearman is dead before he can utter a sound. The other three share his fate. With only the somehow-still-unaware wrestler left, Aquos creeps upon him and knocks him unconscious in one blow, following up with a simple stab to the throat. The camp falls silent.

Aquos gathers the bandits' coin pouches and looks at their loot pile. There are so many coins of various civilizations, he decides to only take the golden ones. Bags full of coins decorated with some lawgiver or other and a finger lime tree, he turns to travel to a nearby hamlet, Wisespooned. He is a bit weighed down, but figures the exercise will do him good.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:25:43 am by IcyTea31 »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2016, 03:52:25 am »

The fact that you can't get any companions is hilarious  :D.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2016, 04:53:17 am »

As Aquos arrives in Wisespooned, a pair of armed men accost him on the street. He is not sure if they are bandits, but he is not going to give into their demands. The one with the morningstar punches him, so he defends himself accordingly.
Spoiler: Brawl start. (click to show/hide)

A tanner runs from a nearby house to help him. He must have been in the right to defend himself.

The brawl isn't very interesting, as all participants seem to be very inexperienced. Aquos has a serious advantage from the armour he's wearing. He takes two nasty hits to his face, but emerges victorious. The tanner doesn't get the hint and continues battering the crossbowman, though.
Spoiler: Victory at a cost (click to show/hide)

He enters a house to spread news of his victory in the bandit camp, but the townsperson approaches him first.

That explains some things. Luckily, the description of their leader matches the boss Aquos killed in the camp. He explains what happened in the camp and gets thanked for each and every detah he caused there. The bone carver is so amazed, he even begs Aquos to go and kill a hydra for him.

Maybe later. For now, Aquos needs allies. Sadly, there don't seem to be any warriors in this village. He spends the night at a cheesemaker's house.

The village of Treatedjester is not far from Wisespooned. Maybe he could recruit there? Clobberfly would also be within range, but he is not going to go to that crazy town again.

In Treatedjester he finds a spearman, brags to him about his adventures and asks him to join him as a companion.

If killing thirteen villains of the world isn't enough to earn him sufficient respect to not have to face the world alone, what is? It is starting to seem like Aquos might have to face Ustrá alone.

Decisively, he leaves Treatedjester behind and heads for the hamlet of Gullywatch next, a stepping stone toward Ustrá's lair.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 05:11:34 am »

If killing thirteen villains of the world isn't enough to earn him sufficient respect to not have to face the world alone, what is? It is starting to seem like Aquos might have to face Ustrá alone.
It's a sign from the gods.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:13:17 am by snow dwarf »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:47 am »

Gullywatch's fort, the Intense Summer, is deserted. Odd.
Spoiler: Nobody's here (click to show/hide)

As Aquos reaches the village proper, he notices there is not a soul to be seen.

Not wanting to spend the night in a haunted ruin, he heads slightly off the track to Ustrá to the hamlet of Fatherlines. The sun is slowly but surely going down, though.

Fatherlines' fort, the Vegetation of Pages, is less deserted. The soldiers, as has become usual, are not impressed by his deeds. He stays the night, preparing to take on Ustrá. He leaves much of his wealth behind to travel light.

Time to go to Heatsweltered the Jewel of Gold, a lair in the middle of the desert of the Round Dunes. The desert is colder than one would think, and travel is easy. Aquos approaches the lair in stealth.

Ustrá is home, and is facing away from the entrance. Aquos will get the first strike.
Spoiler: Fight (click to show/hide)

Victory. Aquos takes a few trophies: Ustrá's skull, a bone fit for a scepter and a tooth fit for an amulet. Ustrá didn't have much of a horde beyond a few coins of civilizations Aquos had never heard of before. He grabs them anyway. Solemnly, he leaves the lair and heads back to Cunningflames, his old hometown.

It is getting dark when he arrives. He enters the East Rooms and walks up to the lord.

This should give him a reputation in Cunningflames. The lord spreads the story to a swordsman nearby. The swordsman, in fact, who rejected him on the first day of his adventures. Maybe, just maybe, he would accept him now?

Aquos slew a dragon. A dragon! Singlehandedly! If that doesn't get people to not underestimate him, nothing will. Time to quit adventuring, maybe become a bone carver or something. Seriously, what is with these people?

So ends the story of Aquos Lockreined the Green Emancipation of Gems. Was he a hero? A true legend? That is not for this storyteller to decide.
Spoiler: Legends entry (click to show/hide)

I swear, my games in adventure mode aren't usually this crazy.

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11987
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:44:00 am by IcyTea31 »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 06:33:04 am »

Sign me up for a turn
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:43 am »

Telling the story SHOULD have worked, you did ask him to join you afterwords right?

I mean this makes for a funny story but I know for a fact that this isnt bugged I play adventure mode all the time and it works fine for me so this is odd, usually the reputations work fine I have no idea what you are doing wrong.

Do you have really bad social stats or something?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:40:03 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 07:32:51 am »

You know what! Add me to the list, ill show you guys how its done..I'll be so legendary that 200 years from now in this world they will still remember me!

(are we allowed to make a fort afterwords?)

Also i'm going to grab icys legends entry after the two week interlude see if he gets that reputation he always wanted. (sometime sit take sthat two week interlude to update his reputation.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:44:19 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 07:45:40 am »

Telling the story SHOULD have worked, you did ask him to join you afterwords right?

...and you should have told the swordsman that you killed the dragon, it looks to me that the lord didnt tell him. (or just wait a day in game an dthr rumor should be spread throughout the towns he was in)

And, as the wiki article said, bragging doesnt work, you have to spread rumor or tell story for the rep to spread.
I didn't screencap it, but the lord definitely struck up a conversation about my exploits with the swordsman, with the correct 'spread rumor' lines, and the swordsman gave a few responses, like "It is for the best" and "It was inevitable." After that I asked him to join me, and got the pictured response.

Do you have really bad social stats or something?
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

I mean this makes for a funny story but I know for a fact that this isnt bugged I play adventure mode all the time and it works fine for me so this is odd, and It makes adventure mode look far worse then it actually is, usually the reputations work fine I have no idea what you are doing wrong.
I think it was because of my low combat skills. Due to the low mental stats, I never progressed past Competent in any combat skill except Ambusher.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9