Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crossout: Imagine Mad Max-style vehicular combat in War Thunder  (Read 5058 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So this game popped into my radar recently and it's been in tiered testing since mid 2015. It's literally the game I've been wanting since I first saw Auto Assault MMO back in the day. Still in Closed Beta and you can sign up for it and be put on a waiting list. Alternatively you can buy a premium vehicle package (cheapest is USD20) to get instant access to CBT.

http://crossout.net/en

Features highlight:
Vehicular combat with modular damage using War Thunder engine.
Similar battle modes to War Thunder, team vs team, but there are also other modes such as racing.
Customisable vehicle, you can build your vehicle from the ground up.
Weapon variety ranges from ballistic (machine guns) to explosive (missiles) to contact weapon (drills)
Vehicle movement ranges from wheeled to tracks to hover
Parts can be earned in battle and traded in market. Rarer, better parts can be constructed.
Certain parts have durability value and need to be repaired or replaced overtime

Gameplay videos:
Random battles
More random battles
88mm gun on a battle bus
Building a vehicle from scratch
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:23:50 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crossout: Imagine Mad Max-style vehicular combat in War Thunder
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:45:45 pm »

Looks like fun - did you get a chance to play yet?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:26 pm »

ptw
It's a game. Have fun.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »

Dear game devs that make games like these: either make the game an MMO, or stop slapping the term "MMO" on it.

Aside from that, the game looks kinda like Armored Warfare if everybody drove the APC type vehicles, which isn't really a bad thing. It also reminds me of Gear Up with the modifiable vehicles. Personally I think it would've been really cool if you could have one player be the driver and one player be the gunner.

I'm also glad to see the game isn't entirely boring deserts. Watching the first linked video and the first match he's playing actually has some green in it. While I love me some contemporary type stuff (Or more WWII through Cold War stuff specifically) it's refreshing to have something that's not bound by reality so much.

Further in the video he's customizing his car. I'm pretty impressed at how many parts it appears you can modify, if I'm looking at this correctly... Okay yes, he picked the machinegun up and moved it around, so yeah, already liking what I'm seeing in regards to the vehicle building. It looks like it's on a grid system of sorts to make things less fiddly.

No friendly fire, it seems. This could lead to less frustration, but it could also lead to players being able to be less cautious without being penalized. It looks like there's localized damage, as I saw bumpers and wheels flying off before people were actually destroyed. You can flip other player's cars upright through the power of teamwork =3

Back in the garage, I'm not liking how a lot of values are displayed as ambiguous bars instead of actual numbers, it makes comparing things more difficult.

That third video though... yes.

I might drop 20 bucks on this game just to try it, we'll see.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 01:16:10 am »

Looks like fun - did you get a chance to play yet?

Frankly, I was so impressed I'm considering to get the USD50 premium vehicle package. Two things holding me back:
  • Map size. The maps are so small relative to War Thunder maps (closer to World of Tanks map size), and combined with the relatively greater mobility of these custom vehicles as opposed to WW2 tanks, the matches end up as a rush, with no much tactical considerations in play. I did notice with higher tier vehicles, due to their greater mass, their speed was also reduced, so the gameplay became less zerg-ish. I do hope they enlarge the map and/or reduce the overall speed of the vehicles.
  • Parts repair mechanics. I'm not quite sure about this, but to my understanding, certain functional parts like weapons and wheels have durability value (e.g. in the videos, there is a label 40/40), which degrade overtime as they are used. The durability only decreases if you lose the match and these parts can be repaired. But I'm not sure if MAXIMUM durability can gradually reach zero this way, requiring the parts to be completely replaced. The developer has mentioned that the repair mechanics are not final and they're monitoring how the current one goes in term of balance. My google-fu hasn't led me to any further information beyond this, so if anyone knows more, please share it herel.

EDIT: The current part repairs mechanic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Source: http://crossout.net/en/news/37/current/

EDIT 2: Added this video to the OT as the author (Kreb) explains how different parts work and interact with each other.
Building a vehicle from scratch
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:26:15 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:50:35 am »

PTW
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 05:26:24 am »

The vibe I got from the linked videos is, Robocraft.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 03:33:38 am »

The dev has changed the damage system, now all vehicles are more durable and can sustain more damage before being destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sku7Ifuf9p0

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 05:36:38 am »

I've been in tiered testing for a while, but I haven't played super recently. They may have changed it, but previously, the repair/durability system was awful. Your parts all lost 1 durability with every defeat. When they hit 0 durability, they were unusable. "Common" parts could be repaired for scrap but anything better could only be repaired with three identical broken parts. It was pretty much to the point where the grind was a complete treadmill and keeping rare parts was almost impossible with a normal winrate, which is one of the reasons I've not played in a couple months (though I really should, they added a lot of stuff).

They building system has a lot lower part limit compared to robocraft, but with bigger parts, and a very strict "power" system (power being used by weapons) so it encourages you to think carefully about armor placement to protect your important pieces, and tends to result in things that are car-shaped rather than the gunbeds or death-cubes that plagued Robocraft.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 06:11:42 am »

It loks super interesting and fun, but it's made by Gaijin, and I really really dislike the way they've handled WT so far, so I'm rather weary of getting excited for a game only for it be turned crap by one poor decision after the next with zero fucks given to the community wishes and opinions.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:06 am »

It loks super interesting and fun, but it's made by Gaijin, and I really really dislike the way they've handled WT so far, so I'm rather weary of getting excited for a game only for it be turned crap by one poor decision after the next with zero fucks given to the community wishes and opinions.

Gaijin is the publisher. The dev is Targem Games. I do share your sentiment about Gaijin though.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 06:31:55 am »

I've been in tiered testing for a while, but I haven't played super recently. They may have changed it, but previously, the repair/durability system was awful. Your parts all lost 1 durability with every defeat. When they hit 0 durability, they were unusable. "Common" parts could be repaired for scrap but anything better could only be repaired with three identical broken parts. It was pretty much to the point where the grind was a complete treadmill and keeping rare parts was almost impossible with a normal winrate, which is one of the reasons I've not played in a couple months (though I really should, they added a lot of stuff).

They building system has a lot lower part limit compared to robocraft, but with bigger parts, and a very strict "power" system (power being used by weapons) so it encourages you to think carefully about armor placement to protect your important pieces, and tends to result in things that are car-shaped rather than the gunbeds or death-cubes that plagued Robocraft.

I'll have you know my flak house in RC was entirely  realistic and accurate in every way.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »

Wow, they added a lot of parts since before.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 09:37:22 pm »

Spooky.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: [1] 2