Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Graphics support for procedurally-generated races  (Read 3342 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics support for procedurally-generated races
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 12:16:35 pm »

Generally, when making a playable race, I tend to keep about half the tile open so that the creature can hold up an item that indicates profession. 

For example, here's a sample of my naga race professions:

The middle two rows are standard professions, and the 3, 2 (4, 3 when starting at 1) position is a cheesemaker, while a thresher wears the same clothes, but holds a sheaf of wheat, and the brewer is similarly clothed, but holds a glass of wine.

(The full list is:
Peasant, ghost, duke, broker,
miner, mechanic, woodcutter, chief medical naga,
weaponsmith, spinner, animal caretaker, cheesemaker,
reruit, spearnaga, master marksnaga, zombie.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:23:59 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »

I like the idea that particularly dedicated players could make thier own sprites specifically for thier generated races.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 01:53:01 pm »

Ooh. Noodly goodness. But still, this would be more involved than the current idea of spriting content for modded-in races.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 02:00:07 pm »

Ooh. Noodly goodness. But still, this would be more involved than the current idea of spriting content for modded-in races.

Not really, you can already have custom sprites for titans, but the problem is that they are merely TITAN_12 in the raws, so graphics sets just make all titans have the same graphic.

With some sort of way of telling players or a third-party app which characters relate to which raw names, then the "heavy lifting" of connecting raw names to sprites can be done by modders, themselves. 

(In fact, with DF Hack, it may be possible to do all this now, provided someone sits down and creates a method of associating graphics on the fly through reading the raws.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »

True. But that falls into the issue of the fact that the easiest method will likely not work unless a specific ID is associated with a specific appearance. Otherwise the differing generated races will all look the same, just as with the titan issue.

EDIT: Though what I mainly meant was that generating a world and adding graphics that make SENSE for what results would be infinitely more hassle than adding sprites for specific modded-in races. That way you don't have to change out desired sprite assignments with each world.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:17:31 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:38:15 pm »

A third-party system could make changing out sprites fairly easy.  Just look at Phoebus's interface.

Something that works on the fly would require DF Hack, but that's basically what Stonesense does already with its dwarves that wear clothing that directly represents their actual clothing, down to being the color of the dye applied to their robe.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 12:53:07 am »

Just want to mention that I made DFHack plugin that partially fixes this, allowing graphics according to the base creature that the generated creature is based off of.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162497.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 01:28:00 am »

Just want to mention that I made DFHack plugin that partially fixes this, allowing graphics according to the base creature that the generated creature is based off of.

Not sure whether to make angry dragon noises due to massive necropost, or because I know someday a DFHack user will cause hilarious confusion during a bug report with this.

Or both. Rawr. I guess.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 01:35:52 am »

Not sure whether to make angry dragon noises due to massive necropost, or because I know someday a DFHack user will cause hilarious confusion during a bug report with this.

Or both. Rawr. I guess.

The thread came up in a search, and I couldn't help myself.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 03:53:24 am »

Double sin there, a necro and a reply to a suggestion that 'mods can do that'. Off to the hammerer with you.

(Good info to know, of course, thanks!).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 05:11:58 pm »

Wouldn't that be only a singlesin though, because suggestion necros are allowed and prefered to making a new thread?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 05:16:48 pm »

Double sin there, a necro and a reply to a suggestion that 'mods can do that'. Off to the hammerer with you.

(Good info to know, of course, thanks!).

"DFHack can do that" is what's heretical, if only because I've had DFHack users butt into a bug discussion only to be all "nah fam, this works oh wait you need DFHack" and such. :V

At least when I snark about being able to do something in my mods that you can't in vanilla, I'm up-front with it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 [2]