Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rimseizes: A Good Succession Fort (42.06)  (Read 5500 times)

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
Rimseizes: A Good Succession Fort (42.06)
« on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:41 pm »

Rimseizes

My family is cursed by darkness. I slew a horrific night troll the year I became king, and ever since that fateful day my family has been plagued by evil. I once had a loving wife and eleven beautiful children. One by one, the darkness claimed them all. My eldest son transformed into a horrific creature, serving as a husband for a night troll. My wife, the queen, became entranced with the darkness, and joined my father in raising the dead. My other children were slain, one by one, by dark creatures- ogres, cyclopses, night trolls, and forgotten beasts. If I am to stop this darkness and avenge my family, I must learn the ways of the light. That is why you, brave seven, are to- Blah blah blah.

Dengoth Noblewire crumpled up the letter and tossed it behind him. “Point is, the king thinks that this place is somehow gonna save us from the, what did he call ‘em, ‘demonic dangers of the dark.’ And what the king says goes. Well if it hurts them half as much as it’s hurting my eyes right now, then I say we’re all set. Someone get to digging—I don’t wanna be out here any longer than I have to.”

Rimseizes is a 42.06 succession fort in a Joyous Wilds biome.

Spoiler: The Embark Site (click to show/hide)

Rules:
Spoiler: Rules n' such (click to show/hide)

Feel free to ask about clarifications/exceptions.

Turnlist:
DDDragoni
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

snow dwarf

Upcoming:
Gwolfski
Urist Sonuvagimli
Snackfox
TheImmortalRyukan
Elanorea
TheFlame52

Dorf list:
Dengoth Noblewire(DDDragoni): Carpenter/Expedition Leader
Imic Tradenose: Stoneworker
Ryukan Sandtin(TheImmortalRyukan): Bookkeeper
Immortal-D Pricechannels: Glassmaker
Snow Dwarf Medtobshibos: Miner
Snackfox : Legendary Marksdwarf

Sanc Tomb: Any recruit
DolosusDoleus: A Doctor with the title Idiot Savant
TheFlame52: A smith
bigjaredmonkey: An annoying Noble

The Fallen:

Quotes:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:33:33 pm by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Rimseizes: A Good Succession Fort (42.06)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:07 pm »

turn please. Gwolfski, Mad Engineer.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:08 pm »

Dorf me as the mason/miner that you got at embark.
Eventually train me as an axedwarf.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »

Turn and dorf me as bookkeeper
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

Double post ignore
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:07:31 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »

I want a turn please for a glorious fight against evil unicorns and sunshine drinking elves!

Dorf as Sanctume (if female Santumea), a hammerdwarf, with "Can Handle Stress" trait if possible, or someone who "values martial prowess."

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 07:53:19 pm »

Dengoth Noblewire's Journal that he really wants to spend his time on right now

Apparently the king wants me to write some kind of a journal to, and I quote, “ensure the mystical properties of this sacred place do not pass by without record.” So now I gotta spent half my
      time writing in this damn book. Great.

So here we are. Our new home until the king gives up on this “cursed by darkness” thing he’s got going on. First thing I noticed once the wagon stopped was the locals.

Looks like we ain’t gonna be using that river anytime soon.

5 Slate
      Asmel and Iteb were able to find the northern edge of the aquifer, so now we’ve started digging in earnest. We’re gonna put our entrance up on the hill to the west. It’ll give us a good vantage point in case those Giant Hippos get hungry.

10 Slate
      The hippos left, so I sent Geshud to get some fish out of the river. I’m starting to get sick of plump helmets. Turns out, the damn beasts took the fish with them.

That’s not the only problem. Geshud spotted something in the trees on the other side of the river.

If we gotta live with that smelly crap, I might just snap.

2 Felsite
   We’ve finally got all the crap out of the wagon and inside. Now Asmel and Iteb can start making this place livable while I get some beds made so we can stop sleeping in the dirt.

Spoiler: main stockpile (click to show/hide)

6 Felsite
   Ryukan wouldn’t shut up about not being able to keep track of our supplies without an office, so I shoved a table and chair into a corner and called it a day.

18 Felsite
   Got the living area dug out. We’ve got food storage and a kitchen in the north, dining area to the east, dormitory to the south, and farms to the west. Maybe this place isn’t gonna turn out to be the dungheap I thought it was.

I apparently picked a really bad time to start this, as RL shenanigans are sapping my creativity and leaving me exhausted. So here's what I was able to get out.

Dorfed people:

Sanctume, the only military dwarf is a speardwarf from the first migrant wave. No hammerdwarves. Will that suffice?
Gwolfsky, as soon as we get a mechanic you will be dorfed.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:51 pm »

I'll be following this with interest :)  Although I can't play just yet, I wanna be part of the story.  Please Dorf me as a Glassmaker.  Nay... the Glassmaker, the only one in the entire Fort.  Hopefully when I'm out collecting sand, the military will bravely rush to defend me from the hippos.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 08:30:47 pm »

Turn Pls
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 06:44:51 pm »

Count me in

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 11:06:26 pm »

Spear will do!

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 11:59:08 pm »

The Journal of Dengoth Noblewire Who Is Having a Real Great Time Writing This

6 Hematite
   Three more dwarves showed up today. A potter, Adil;  a glassmaker, Immortal-D; and a planter, Sanctume. Those last two don’t strike me as particularly dwarven names, so I’m gonna take a look at the paperwork they brought.

Spoiler: Immortal-D (click to show/hide)
Alright, guess her parents are just assholes.

Spoiler: Sanctume (click to show/hide)
Wait a minute…

The king sent a damn goblin-raised dwarf to his “bastion of goodness?” What the hell is he thinking? Well, if nothing else, he’s good with a spear, so first sign of trouble, I’m throwing him at it and running.

20 Hematite
     Asmel and Iteb broke through into an underground cavern today. No sign of any iron ore, but there was plenty of galena and cassiterite.
Spoiler: Cavern (click to show/hide)
Asmel says we might have more luck higher up and further south. Something about the water in the earth affecting mineral deposits? Hell if I know, I work with wood.

12 Malachite
     Turns out Asmel was right, we’ve found several limonite deposits to the south, beneath the aquifer. I’ve had a room dug out in preparation for when we can get metalworking up and running.
Spoiler: Metalworking Room (click to show/hide)

The only issue is a lack of fuel. There’s no sign of coal or lignite, so we’re gonna have to stick with charcoal until we hit magma.

18 Galena
Figured that since we have a metalworking place set up without any metalworkers, we might as well get some places set up for the potter and glassmaker we do have.
So now we have ourselves a kiln dug out of the fire clay,

And a glass furnace dug out of the sand.

7 Limestone
     A supply caravan came by, along with a liason who had a letter from the king. I got about halfway through the first paragraph before my face turned as purple as the prose and I passed out from lack of interest.

After I came to, the liason graciously summed it up for me. Since we left the king has had several other idea about how to break his “curse, “ and sent out 3 more founding parties, the last of which left only left a few days before this caravan.
Spoiler: The details (click to show/hide)

Ryukan bought some bags and a turkey with the crafts Imic’s been putting together, then the liason told us what was in demand and headed down to get drunk.
Spoiler: Import Agreement (click to show/hide)

16 Limestone
     As soon as the caravan left, a group of migrants came by. A swordsdwarf, two fishery workers, a planter, and a Ranger. There were also 2 human poets and a Hammerdwarf along with them, who had heard about our tavern, The Fruit of Dots, from the merchants. So long as they aren’t causing trouble, it couldn’t hurt to have them around.

6 Sandstone
     The bedrooms are mostly complete. We only have 15 dwarves currently, so the extra rooms are gonna go to the tavern.
Spoiler: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

12 Timber
Sanctume kept complaining about not being able to train, so we put together a weapon rack, forged some weapons that kinda look like a sword and spear if you squint, and told him to get cracking.

I can’t really blame him, though. There hasn’t been much happening here. I’m not complaining- give me boredom over the constant threat of death any day.

That's summer and Autumn. All in all, a pretty uneventful year so far. Immortal-D, are you watching my computer? You posted that right after the first migrant wave showed up with our one and only glassmaker.

Gwolfsky, still no mechanics. Do you want to keep waiting?

Turnlist updated, as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:08:13 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 11:33:01 am »

Would you consider shortening the turn time-frame from 2 weeks to one?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 12:20:16 pm »

Would you consider shortening the turn time-frame from 2 weeks to one?

May I ask why?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 12:23:05 pm »

If you can, find a dwarf who likes cats, if not, grab a random young male dwarf and train him in all aspects of engineering. Could be a barkeep too.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: [1] 2 3 4